Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (73 Viewers)

Local distillery released a new batch. Haven’t tried it, but had to have it.

17A2B96D-161B-4E97-A1B6-C8EC6FE75969.jpeg
3A216682-30F1-43FE-8D67-13CF37B99DE1.jpeg

Well Alabama plays tonight so I'm gonna try a shot of the cheap McCORMICK and finish it with OJ and Deep Eddy... I keep wanting to call it Fast Eddie from the movie...Some movies just stick Iin your head...
38825042.jpg

20200926_143633.jpg

Last edited:
I keep reading this thread and figure it is high time I made post in it! Seems like folks know what they are talking about here!

I've only tried whiskey a few times, but I think they were very 'peaty' and I found them quite harsh. I recently tried Monkey Shoulder too but again wasn't a huge fan. I see there are Bourbons, Rye, Single Malt etc etc. Is there a more 'beginner' whiskey I can start with, or maybe just something no so peaty.

Or should I just stick to other drinks as I'm clearly not man enough for whiskey? :LOL: :laugh:

I’d stay away. Learn to stomach it if you go to a meet up but plenty of beer to drink (if you like that, I don’t). I sit here currently trying to figure out how to acquire a set of bottles and justify the prices I’ll need to pay. Even worse is that unlike chips I may never enjoy it if I do acquire the set.

I keep reading this thread and figure it is high time I made post in it! Seems like folks know what they are talking about here!

I've only tried whiskey a few times, but I think they were very 'peaty' and I found them quite harsh. I recently tried Monkey Shoulder too but again wasn't a huge fan. I see there are Bourbons, Rye, Single Malt etc etc. Is there a more 'beginner' whiskey I can start with, or maybe just something no so peaty.

Or should I just stick to other drinks as I'm clearly not man enough for whiskey? :LOL: :laugh:

fireball

it took some getting used to...most bourbons whiskys i began with i wanted to drink neat, but my palate got more alcohol than flavor....but then i started drinking higher proof whiskys and it allowed my palate to get used to it and more discerning of flavors of lower proof....

if you dont want to start with higher proof drinks..just add a little water to your whisky..it will dilute the proof and allow you to find the flavors

Is there a more 'beginner' whiskey I can start with, or maybe just something no so peaty.
It's a common misconception that all single malts are peaty. This is far from the truth. There are many that have no smoke flavour at all. Some people love the peat, some do not - I'm not a fan of peat at all.

Personally, a standby favourite is the Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. Another recent discovery that is exceptional value for money is the Grangestone Rum Cask Finish. Typically malts that are double casked (that is after the initial ageing, it's transferred into a cask that one contained rum, sherry or bourbon for further ageing) are sweeter and more easy on the palate.

full sample set of HSI chips for 4oz?...the sample set is around $125
Odd coincidences today. I bought these so I could give two oz to my drum instructor this week because he's an aficionado. I'll fill a couple up and send your way. Assuming they make it safe and sound, the pleasure was all mine.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 9.07.30 AM.png

Odd coincidences today. I bought these so I could give two oz to my drum instructor this week because he's an aficionado. I'll fill a couple up and send your way. Assuming they make it safe and sound, the pleasure was all mine.

View attachment 542929
im cheezin so hard right now!!

I’d stay away. Learn to stomach it if you go to a meet up but plenty of beer to drink (if you like that, I don’t). I sit here currently trying to figure out how to acquire a set of bottles and justify the prices I’ll need to pay. Even worse is that unlike chips I may never enjoy it if I do acquire the set.

Add the fact that whiskey is consumable and once open is hard or impossible to sell. Going from poker chips I could sell in minutes for break even money to a consumable hobby has bothered me a lot.

it took some getting used to...most bourbons whiskys i began with i wanted to drink neat, but my palate got more alcohol than flavor....but then i started drinking higher proof whiskys and it allowed my palate to get used to it and more discerning of flavors of lower proof....

if you dont want to start with higher proof drinks..just add a little water to your whisky..it will dilute the proof and allow you to find the flavors

It's a common misconception that all single malts are peaty. This is far from the truth. There are many that have no smoke flavour at all. Some people love the peat, some do not - I'm not a fan of peat at all.

Personally, a standby favourite is the Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. Another recent discovery that is exceptional value for money is the Grangestone Rum Cask Finish. Typically malts that are double casked (that is after the initial ageing, it's transferred into a cask that one contained rum, sherry or bourbon for further ageing) are sweeter and more easy on the palate.

Thanks both, appreciate the reply.
Makes sense to start on something of a lower proof, or perhaps sweeter to get the palate used to it (and not loose the flavour).

Add the fact that whiskey is consumable and once open is hard or impossible to sell. Going from poker chips I could sell in minutes for break even money to a consumable hobby has bothered me a lot.

Not hard to sell open bottles, if the bottles are rare enough or you're willing to take a little bit of a loss/per oz.

I’m not into either for the money! It’s a hobby and meant to be enjoyed and shared as a an experience. I don’t care about the loss I care about not being able to obtain again to repeat the experience, share the joy. With chips I can use them over and over. Once a bottle is gone I may not be able to replace it, which is fine just disappointing. Which is why I have kind of moved on from the rare bottles and actually look to find the best off the shelf deals.

when i first go into whisky, i bought bottles to flip since i needed another way to fund chips and cigars

but now i just buy what i think its worth and drink up. which is why i have never tried WLW before. If i could ever find it for retail, i'd open them. Whisky and bourbon are enjoyable, but once its gone its gone. Poker chips on the other hand...can be enjoyed over and over, and then sold later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom