Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (67 Viewers)

21203A2B-BCB4-4569-BD6B-3090AAAFDD08.jpeg

@Lil Tuna :

I had had a couple of pours of that Bowman Single Barrel you brought last year and it was always good. I never gave it its deserved attention until last night though. Had a few nice pours of it and decide to focus! Wow! Thoroughly enjoyable, Matt. Very, very good bourbon indeed. Once again, THANK YOU!!

(Yes, bottles usually last more than they should as I always have a ton of them open.)

Generally single barrels are much better. Why is that? wouldn't blending barrels produce just as consistent good barrels?...is it usually because single barrels are individually selected as "special"?

Single Barrel bourbons are hit or miss. And if you get that great single barrel, your next bottle, if from a different barrel, might pale in comparison. There is no definition for "small batch", so those are blends, but that is also marketing.

@Lil Tuna :

I had had a couple of pours of that Bowman Single Barrel you brought last year and it was always good. I never gave it its deserved attention until last night though. Had a few nice pours of it and decide to focus! Wow! Thoroughly enjoyable, Matt. Very, very good bourbon indeed. Once again, THANK YOU!!

(Yes, bottles usually last more than they should as I always have a ton of them open.)
I need to make it back up to Michigan again and splash some pots with you Paulo. Really enjoyed the hospitality my friend. :)

Generally single barrels are much better. Why is that? wouldn't blending barrels produce just as consistent good barrels?...is it usually because single barrels are individually selected as "special"?
Single barrels are chosen because of how good they are. Blends are more consistent, but you can hide some questionable barrels in a 100 barrel batch.

A new place called Bourbon & Bones just opened near us. Here's their bourbon list -- anything particularly interesting there?

Bourbons.png

I have no idea yet what's in their "private collection"...

A new place called Bourbon & Bones just opened near us. Here's their bourbon list -- anything particularly interesting there?

View attachment 539310
I have no idea yet what's in their "private collection"...

Weller special reserve for $26 for 2oz??!!?

that’s nearly the price of the whole bottle retail

Weller special reserve for $26 for 2oz??!!?
that’s nearly the price of the whole bottle retail

It seems to vary pretty widely, but $26 is definitely way high:

"$39.99·lincolnfinewines.com
W.L. Weller - Special Reserve Bourbon

$34.99·bluestreakwine.com
W.L. Weller - Special Reserve Bourbon (750ml)

$54.99·eastvillagewines.com

$39.99·palmspringsliquoronline.com
W.L. Weller Special Reserve

$89.99·Drizly
W.L. Weller Special Reserve Bourbon Whiskey 750"

It seems to vary pretty widely, but $26 is definitely way high:

"$39.99·lincolnfinewines.com
W.L. Weller - Special Reserve Bourbon

$34.99·bluestreakwine.com

$54.99·eastvillagewines.com

$39.99·palmspringsliquoronline.com
W.L. Weller Special Reserve

$89.99·Drizly
W.L. Weller Special Reserve Bourbon Whiskey 750"

I buy weller sr for 25 every week here. That's crazy. I didn't see much on the menu that I would pay for there.

I buy weller sr for 25 every week here. That's crazy. I didn't see much on the menu that I would pay for there.

The Weller line is NEVER available in Michigan. It is plentiful in Ohio for example. We get a LOT of Eagle Rare up here though. One of those things...

Yippee Ki Yay and Angel's Envy Rye are good deals for a pour. That's what I would go for. Neither is a please-all whisky though. Love both myself.

Also, how come Bookers is $15 and EC Small Batch is $14?!?!? LOL!!!

The Weller line is NEVER available in Michigan. It is plentiful in Ohio for example. We get a LOT of Eagle Rare up here though. One of those things...

Yippee Ki Yay and Angel's Envy Rye are good deals for a pour. That's what I would go for. Neither is a please-all whisky though. Love both myself.

Angels Envy is $10 the Rye is $11. Retail the rye is at least double.

Angel's Envy Rye is $95 retail for a bottle. Yippee is similarly priced. Those are the best values. Agreed.

Been Stagg Jr hunting again lately, used to find it for $50-70 last year now everybody around here is charging, $150-200 ughh. If anybody finds some locally for less than $80 I'll take a couple bottles or trade stuff we can find out here like Blanton's sitting on the shelves around here.

This was one of those odd weeks where I finished like 6 close to empty bottles and my stash was looking scarily low. Needed to remedy the situation - some manhattan/old fashion mixers, some favorites and something new (WT Rare Breed).

20200926_103824.jpg

I went last night looking for something new and exciting.Somebody told me Jack Daniels single barrel rye was good. Looked at it, turned around and bought another bottle of Deep Eddy vodka and went home. Maybe next time... limited to 8000 cases. Might be worth buying and putting back...
jack-daniel_s-single-barrel-tennessee-rye-whiskey-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom