Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (63 Viewers)

Total wine can have better prices IF they want due to volume purchasing. How much better probably depends on the product’s popularity. North Carolina sells spirits for MSRP and rarely puts anything on sale and if they do, it’s like $5 tops. They certainly won’t discount a premium bottle unless it just doesn’t move off of the shelves. Gotta love government run ABC stores :confused
I think I'd prefer that over here, where everyone marks up anything decent 200-500%

walked into a store right by the house yesterday. They have, on the shelf behind the counter, Michters 10yr bourbon, Michters Toasted Rye, and Michters Barrel Strength Rye. I asked how much .. and he says "expensive". I said I figured, but how much.

10yr -> $400
toasted -> $300
Barrel Str - > $200.

Also, only cash for those ...

Also had Blantons. they were asking $189, and tells me it flies off the shelf at that price.... :rolleyes:

..... and Pass .... AGAIN. Everything around me that's not common crap is marked up at least 100%, most of the time, if not more

Last edited:
walked into a store right by the house yesterday. They have, on the shelf behind the counter, Michters 10yr bourbon, Michters Toasted Rye, and Michters Barrel Strength Rye. I asked how much .. and he says "expensive". I said I figured, but how much.

10yr -> $400
toasted -> $300
Barrel Str - > $200.

Also had Blantons. they were asking $189, and tells me it flies off the shelf at that price.... :rolleyes:

..... and Pass .... AGAIN. Everything around me that's not common crap is marked up at least 100%, most of the time, more
Michter’s 10 rye is $200 msrp I believe

10yr -> $400
toasted -> $300
Barrel Str - > $200.

..... and Pass .... AGAIN. Everything around me that's not common crap is marked up at least 100%, most of the time, more
Looks to be about a 110 pick em lol

You can find shit but at ridiculous prices and I get fair prices but can’t find shit :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Looks to be about a 110 pick em lol

You can find shit but at ridiculous prices and I get fair prices but can’t find shit :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Yeah .. this doesn't help..
1716397124344.png

1716397133083.png

Thank you. I was looking over the offerings on the TW web site after I posted my question last night. I did put both the Green Spot and the Redbreast 12 on my watch list, but was a bit turned off by the fact that both are only 40% abv. I typically ignore almost everything at this proof point in all other whiskey. I do see that the Powers bottle is 46%, and slightly lower in price, so I will probably start there.

Unfortunately, I'm extremely price sensitive, so unlikely to venture above this range at this time. Maybe if I really like this one, I might consider buying one special bottle in the next level as a treat to myself. When I started this journey two years ago, anything over $50 was a difficult buy for me. But it wasn't really a big issue, because there are dozens (hundreds?) of excellent bourbons in the $25-50 range. I suppose this is also why I've only bought a few bottles of scotch, and have been hesitant to venture into Irish. There's no equivalent to Knob Creek 9 or Wild Turkey 101, or Makers Mark Cask when it comes to Scotch or Irish whiskey.

Very few Irish whiskeys are offered at cask strength, and none that I know in the lower price ranges.

For sub $50 bottles, @Klobberer pointed me to Slane a few years back - very good value at like $30. And imho there's nothing wrong with Jameson or Tullamore Dew for the price.

I was the one who asked the same question as you did, so I’ll chime in.

That Missouri Oak retails at $199 and it appears that it fetches north of $300 on secondary…I’d love one but I doubt I’ll ever see one here and I won’t pay secondary prices like that.

I ended up getting a Redbreast 12yr Cask Strength as my first bottle purchase of Irish and have ZERO regret even at $110 for the bottle. It’s fantastic ! Not nearly as many cask strength options like we have for bourbons and ryes. I was told Green Spot was a great choice for an intro to Irish but it’s a $65-70 bottle at retail, but fairly easy to find. I think Jameson Black Label was mentioned as well and it’s under $50. I'm sure other more experienced Irish drinkers can add to the list.
I like the $30 green bottle Jameson on the rocks, SUE ME!

I’ve told a few friends on here and local to me that I believe the JD SBBP Rye is the better of the two SBBPs. They’re two of the best bottles I can consistently get here. Since I was instructed by @Irish to “finish him”, we’re gonna finally blind them against each other. I got the bottles and glens out for Mrs Baroo and she poured the magic! We’re warming up the tastebuds with some New Riff BiB bourbon while the JDs rest
IMG_7422.jpeg
IMG_7423.jpeg
I’m fairly sure I’ll be able to tell the two apart, but that’s not what I’m trying to do. I want to know which one I like better. I do think they drink and taste very similar, so there is a slight chance I don’t get them correct. I also know that being single barrels throws some additional variance into the picture.

I’ve told a few friends on here and local to me that I believe the JD SBBP Rye is the better of the two SBBPs. They’re two of the best bottles I can consistently get here. Since I was instructed by @Irish to “finish him”, we’re gonna finally blind them against each other. I got the bottles and glens out for Mrs Baroo and she poured the magic! We’re warming up the tastebuds with some New Riff BiB bourbon while the JDs restView attachment 1332631View attachment 1332632I’m fairly sure I’ll be able to tell the two apart, but that’s not what I’m trying to do. I want to know which one I like better. I do think they drink and taste very similar, so there is a slight chance I don’t get them correct. I also know that being single barrels throws some additional variance into the picture.
Potential Ben Book coming lol

This was VERY interesting! There were a few surprises along the way.

Nose…Glass 1: Fresh baked banana walnut cake with extra extra caramel drizzle over it. Perfect amount of baking spice in the mix. I immediately thought whiskey even though I don’t want to drink these just to identify them but it’s everything I think the whiskey is.

Glass 2: Did she pour the same thing in both glasses? It’s almost a mirror image nose except the sweetness is a touch muted, but the baking spice mimics glass 1. I got a hint of black tea on this one that I don’t get on #1. Is this the rye? Could be, but they’re so damn close and both are excellent!

Nose winner…Glass 1…barely

Palate…Glass1: Tastes just like the nose says it should. Typical banana, caramel and walnut I always get with these. Cream cheese frosting was added to this cake before the caramel drizzle. Baking spice is stronger than the nose indicated. It builds rapidly but the sweetness holds on strong.

Glass 2: No surprise here. Almost identical with the exception of the walnut note is stronger here than #1. The baking spice is a touch subdued as well.

Again…glass1 is the winner but it’s close, real close

Finish…Glass 1: Holy spice Batman! Didn’t get it so much on the first couple of sips, but this screams rye. It’s spicy but not ethanol hot. I now get a touch of the black tea too and the tingle goes on forever. Now I’m thinking glass 1 is the rye but the nose and palate had me convinced me it was the whiskey. Great finish!

Glass 2: Beginning to notice a theme here. It’s damn near identical but aspects are muted compared to glass 1. Good amount of spice but not nearly as much “tingle” and the finish is a little shorter. I get more of the black tea here too.

Glass 1 is the clear winner on the finish but glass 2 held its own the whole time. The differences are extremely subtle until the finish and then it gets easier to differentiate the two. We all know they’re both great pours and I’m glad I can get either of these any time I want. Glass 1 wins tonight but I felt like I won since I have both in my cabinet.

Glass 1…rye
Glass 2…whiskey

If I only nosed them and taken a few sips, I would have been wrong.

Very few Irish whiskeys are offered at cask strength, and none that I know in the lower price ranges.

For sub $50 bottles, @Klobberer pointed me to Slane a few years back - very good value at like $30. And imho there's nothing wrong with Jameson or Tullamore Dew for the price.
Slane is a delicious, easy sipper. My absolute favorites are the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength and Blue Spot, but I am a bit of a proof whore.

Nose…Glass 1: Fresh baked banana walnut cake with extra extra caramel drizzle over it. Perfect amount of baking spice in the mix. I immediately thought whiskey even though I don’t want to drink these just to identify them but it’s everything I think the whiskey is.

Glass 2: Did she pour the same thing in both glasses? It’s almost a mirror image nose except the sweetness is a touch muted, but the baking spice mimics glass 1. I got a hint of black tea on this one that I don’t get on #1. Is this the rye? Could be, but they’re so damn close and both are excellent!

Palate…Glass1: Tastes just like the nose says it should. Typical banana, caramel and walnut I always get with these. Cream cheese frosting was added to this cake before the caramel drizzle. Baking spice is stronger than the nose indicated. It builds rapidly but the sweetness holds on strong.

Glass 2: No surprise here. Almost identical with the exception of the walnut note is stronger here than #1. The baking spice is a touch subdued as well.

Finish…Glass 1: Holy spice Batman! Didn’t get it so much on the first couple of sips, but this screams rye. It’s spicy but not ethanol hot. I now get a touch of the black tea too and the tingle goes on forever. Now I’m thinking glass 1 is the rye but the nose and palate had me convinced me it was the whiskey. Great finish!

Glass 2: Beginning to notice a theme here. It’s damn near identical but aspects are muted compared to glass 1. Good amount of spice but not nearly as much “tingle” and the finish is a little shorter. I get more of the black tea here too.

Glass 1 is the clear winner on the finish but glass 2 held its own the whole time. The differences are extremely subtle until the finish and then it gets easier to differentiate the two. We all know they’re both great pours and I’m glad I can get either of these any time I want. Glass 1 wins tonight but I felt like I won since I have both in my cabinet.

Glass 1…rye
Glass 2…whiskey

Dammit now you have me intrigued, must replicate. You know, for science and shit....

20240522_211006.jpg

Glass 1…rye
Glass 2…whiskey

Glass L
Nose: vanilla, banana pudding, brown sugar, oak. Not overpowering.

Palate: complete sweet banana nut bread up front, then dark molasses and barrel char. A bit spicy.

Finish: long, dry spicy and oak finish

Glass R
Nose: very similar but sweeter, and I'm detecting just a subtle hint of rye and spice. A bit more omph here too.

Palate: intial sip tastes very similar, but the second sip brings our much more flavor and the rye up front. The banana/brown sugar is in the background, but the rye hangs on and is dominant start to finsih

Finish: ling, dry spicy finish that lasts forever

Nose is a push, slight lean towards R. Palate goes to R, much more flavorful and complex. Not quite as sweet. Finish on R kick ass.

R for the win

L - SBBP
R - SBBPR

Next up (another day) will be the ultimate blind heads up:

JDSBBPR vs OFSBBSR

I'm fairly sure the OF gets the nod, but I'm curious by how much, considering the OF is nearly three times the price......

Glass L
Nose: vanilla, banana pudding, brown sugar, oak. Not overpowering.

Palate: complete sweet banana nut bread up front, then dark molasses and barrel char. A bit spicy.

Finish: long, dry spicy and oak finish

Glass R
Nose: very similar but sweeter, and I'm detecting just a subtle hint of rye and spice. A bit more omph here too.

Palate: intial sip tastes very similar, but the second sip brings our much more flavor and the rye up front. The banana/brown sugar is in the background, but the rye hangs on and is dominant start to finsih

Finish: ling, dry spicy finish that lasts forever

Nose is a push, slight lean towards R. Palate goes to R, much more flavorful and complex. Not quite as sweet. Finish on R kick ass.

R for the win

L - SBBP
R - SBBPR
Your results seem to mirror mine with the finish of the rye stealing the show. What amazes me is how similar these smell and taste considering how different they are in terms of mashbill. High corn-low rye(80/12) whiskey should’t be that similar to a fairly high rye-low corn(70/18) rye whiskey. Both are very high up on my list of favorites and they’re easily top 5 when you factor in availability and price!

Your results seem to mirror mine with the finish of the rye stealing the show. What amazes me is how similar these smell and taste considering how different they are in terms of mashbill. High corn-low rye(80/12) whiskey should’t be that similar to a fairly high rye-low corn(70/18) rye whiskey. Both are very high up on my list of favorites and they’re easily top 5 when you factor in availability and price!
Yep very similar experience, especially on the nose. After a couple of sips, it was much more evident which was which. The rye version of this cranks up the flavor and compliments an already incredible profile, it's definitely not your "typcial" rye, which I really applaud JD for, not straying too far from the original. The regular SBBP are readily available here but not the ryes, this particular bottle I had to import in. But..... I've now seen 2 stores within driving distance that have gotten them in, so I'm hopeful they'll become more readily available soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom