Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (33 Viewers)

I will talk to my guy about getting an Old Forester store pick/barrel, and tell him that I will just buy every case, price dependent of course. That should get his attention a little bit I would think.
a lot will be determined in December

It has opened up nicely. I bought 4 bottles. I’ve already given away 2. All I have is my opened and one backup.
It’s reminding me of Rare Breed now, with so much spice and pepper. Still a good undertone of vanilla, caramel, and oak. It’s drinking higher than the 105 proof for sure.

After more than a year’s wait, I just received word that I’ve been allocated a build order for a specific new dream-car! Delivery is expected…wait for it…in June 2023.
Worth it.

Having a drink to celebrate!

222E6E4D-579D-4F60-B6E9-114F46953C21.jpeg

After more than a year’s wait, I just received word that I’ve been allocated a build order for a specific new dream-car! Delivery is expected…wait for it…in June 2023.
Worth it.

Having a drink to celebrate!

View attachment 993293
Congrats on your new McLaren. Also, Batch 17 is so good.

Well guys. (and gals) Who on this forum has ever shied away from going down a new rabbit hole? Not me! My adult sons are all into bourbon and other whiskeys, but up until recently, I've been pretty exclusively a craft beer guy. And when I have drank spirits, I would typically add a mixer. Even I realize that you can't truly appreciate the very best whiskeys if you mask them with a mixer. Then back in June, while on vacation, my wife and I decided to travel home through Louisville and make our first distillery visit. We ended up selecting to tour Old Forester. I think just seeing their dedication to the craft made me WANT to learn about and appreciate good bourbon. Having differences in the various final bottles explained and being able to taste several different ones in a tasting flight helped too.

Then last weekend I went up to Dallas to play in a home game hosted by @JesterTX and after the game he was kind enough to offer me samples of several nice bourbons. And a little shine as well! :D Thanks Jeff! You got the juices flowing again. Earlier today I went out to pick up a couple more bottles to add to the one that I purchased at Old Forrester. So here it is - the beginnings of my bourbon collection. Hopefully much more to come.

20220924_234956.jpg

I'm also very open to suggestions for additional "beginner" bourbons. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I suspect I'm still at the point where I am unlikely to really appreciate some of the very finest spirits out there. I'd say for now, I'm going to stick around the $60 and under range.

I had a glass of the Angels Envy tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then just before taking this pic, I poured a bit of the 117 to compare. That one still strikes me as a little too hot. Also the nose on that one is really strong compared to the Angels Envy. Anyway, looking forward to learning more from you guys here in this thread.

Also, I have seen a bunch of posts here recently showing the same bottle of New Riff whiskey. And references to scrub donkey? Did you guys do a Whiskey Group Buy? If so, that is freaking cool, and please include me, if possible, if there are more of them in the future. Are they started here in this thread, or elsewhere on the forum?

Well guys. (and gals) Who on this forum has ever shied away from going down a new rabbit hole? Not me! My adult sons are all into bourbon and other whiskeys, but up until recently, I've been pretty exclusively a craft beer guy. And when I have drank spirits, I would typically add a mixer. Even I realize that you can't truly appreciate the very best whiskeys if you mask them with a mixer. Then back in June, while on vacation, my wife and I decided to travel home through Louisville and make our first distillery visit. We ended up selecting to tour Old Forester. I think just seeing their dedication to the craft made me WANT to learn about and appreciate good bourbon. Having differences in the various final bottles explained and being able to taste several different ones in a tasting flight helped too.

Then last weekend I went up to Dallas to play in a home game hosted by @JesterTX and after the game he was kind enough to offer me samples of several nice bourbons. And a little shine as well! :D Thanks Jeff! You got the juices flowing again. Earlier today I went out to pick up a couple more bottles to add to the one that I purchased at Old Forrester. So here it is - the beginnings of my bourbon collection. Hopefully much more to come.

View attachment 993408

I'm also very open to suggestions for additional "beginner" bourbons. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I suspect I'm still at the point where I am unlikely to really appreciate some of the very finest spirits out there. I'd say for now, I'm going to stick around the $60 and under range.

I had a glass of the Angels Envy tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then just before taking this pic, I poured a bit of the 117 to compare. That one still strikes me as a little too hot. Also the nose on that one is really strong compared to the Angels Envy. Anyway, looking forward to learning more from you guys here in this thread.

Also, I have seen a bunch of posts here recently showing the same bottle of New Riff whiskey. And references to scrub donkey? Did you guys do a Whiskey Group Buy? If so, that is freaking cool, and please include me, if possible, if there are more of them in the future. Are they started here in this thread, or elsewhere on the forum?
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

at $60 and under you need to check out
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 100
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey 101
New Riff single barrel and/or Bottled in Bond
1792 small batch/bottled in bond/full proof whatever you can find
Buffalo Trace
Weller 107 (if you can find it)
Knob Creek 9 year

The Bottle you are seeing is a private single barrel pick we did BBNAGB (Bourbon barrel not a Group Buy)
bottle2.jpeg
bottle3.jpeg
bottle4.jpeg
bottle5.jpeg
bottle6.jpeg

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 100
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek 9 year

The Bottle you are seeing is a private single barrel pick we did BBNAGB (Bourbon barrel not a Group Buy)
View attachment 993472View attachment 993473View attachment 993474View attachment 993475View attachment 993476

Under $60 I would add Eagle Rare and Makers 101 to the try list. And the Benchmarks if they are around you.

x2 on all the above, and would add:

Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof
Knob Creek 120 store picks
Old Forrester 1910
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Redwood Empire Lost Monarch

View attachment 993408

Don't be afraid to look beyond bourbon as well, major segments like Rye, Canadian, Japanese, Irish and Scotch are all out there. Happy to send you a sample of the 'quintessential' spirit from each of those categories.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 100
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek 9 year

View attachment 993472View attachment 993473View attachment 993474View attachment 993475View attachment 993476
Thanks man! That New Riff sounds amazing. I don't suppose there is still any available???

Did the brewery engrave the bottles for you? That's really cool.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 100
Old Forester 1920
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek 9 year

Under $60 I would add Eagle Rare and Makers 101 to the try list. And the Benchmarks if they are around you

x2 on all the above, and would add:

Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof
Knob Creek 120 store picks
Old Forrester 1910
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Redwood Empire Lost Monarch

Don't be afraid to look beyond bourbon as well, major segments like Rye, Canadian, Japanese, Irish and Scotch are all out there. Happy to send you a sample of the 'quintessential' spirit from each of those categories.
Thank you all from another noob!!

Thanks for the suggestion. Just to be clear, I'm an old dude, so I've tried plenty of different spirits over the years. Went through a phase in my late teens, early twenties (40 years ago) when I couldn't stand beer and all I drank was Black Velvet and Canadian Club. I was sipping Jameson with a good friend two nights ago. I've had Rye, and will probably move to it next, once I get bourbon figured out. And my son has given me some Japanese whiskey which I definitely enjoyed. Only thing on your list that I don't like (yet?) is Scotch. I don't even like Scotch Ale beer. That peat flavor does nothing for me.

So my goal for the moment is to get where I can distinguish and recognize the different flavors that are present in better bourbons. So I can tell by taste a wheated bourbon from a high rye bourbon. Things like that. And in spite of all this interest in bourbon, I'm still a huge craft beer guy and will always drink more beer than bourbon. But I am looking forward to embarking on this journey.

To everyone else that commented - Thanks! I've tried some of those, and I'll add others to the list. I actually had Old Forester 100 in my cart last night, then put it back and went with the Four Roses instead. I'll get back to it. And I'm always looking for Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace, which used to be easy to find and quite reasonably priced a few years ago. Seems like those two have all but disappeared from the shelves recently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom