Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (49 Viewers)

C2851F62-A43F-455F-8178-4DC866EC7852.jpeg

Gotta hit this up when I feel like it. Glad I have it and all, but I am ALL about the black label.

View attachment 960421
I’ve only had a taste of the 12yr and I have a bottle coming to me. I liked the sample I got quite a bit, but I have to agree with you about the Black label KC’s. Both the SiB Select and SiB Reserve are just money!! I have an unopened one of each and I’ll always buy one whenever I see either of them!!

"Under our proposal, to be labeled American single malt whisky, the product must be distilled entirely at one U.S. distillery, and must be mashed, distilled, aged in the United States. The product also must be sourced from a fermented mash of 100% malted barley, at a distillation proof of 160° or less, and stored in oak barrels not exceeding 700 liters. In addition, allowable coloring, flavoring, and blending materials would be permitted."

This is such a weak requirement as written to be comical in value.

I think the impetus was just to get something on the book so the term could be used, without fear, on the labels. Too many US distillers don't have (and won't get) proper pot stills and the three year aging minimum of Scottish Malt Whisky was never going to fly. I was hoping for more but it's pretty much what I expected.

Comparing a couple wheaters tonight.

Rebel 10 > Weller 12

View attachment 961106
Ok. Now that I’m a bit deeper into these, it’s closer than I thought. Weller 12 has more depth and layers. But it lacks proof. The Rebel is only 100 proof vs the 90 of the Weller. That proof is noticeable.

Both would benefit if they were 110-120 proof. I’d love to know what Weller 12 would taste like if it were up near the ECBPs (also 12yrs).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom