Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (44 Viewers)

Blanton's is ok for the $70. A lot like ECBP, which is now also $70. They are both worth about what you pay for them. I bought a Blanton's and an extra several months later, at retail. I finally opened one, had some, it's good, but if somebody bought the extra from me, I would not be sad. No way I'm buying eight of these to get all the horsey corks.
My thoughts exactly. It is a good $60 whiskey, in lovely packaging. But it is a meh >$75 whiskey.

Hell of a week. Happy Fryeday

20210924_211013.jpg

One of my coworkers is retiring next week, and I've been asked to help select a bottle of Bourbon as a gift for him.
So the person in charge of purchasing this bottle did end up going to my local whiskey shop instead of Total Wine. She was going to be in the area anyway, so I gave her a couple ideas and told her to ask the owner for recommendations. He's done me right so far, so I figured this was the best option.

She ended up getting a bottle of Willett Pot Still. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
The second was Willett Pot Still. Not gonna lie, I was underwhelmed. A little sweet, a hint of smoke on the front and cinnamon on the end, but very thin bodied and a bit boring to me. Also seemed to have a harsh burn for 94 proof, but this may have been relative to the Old Forester.

In spite of my personal opinion, I know that a lot of people like this one, and I'm hoping that my retiring coworker is in that group.

In-laws are up this weekend, needed some sanity reinforcements.... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
20210925_182530.jpg

20210925_182807.jpg

Never heard of this one before, but its a Willett product so I figured I'd give it a $30. Not too shabby.. Citrusy nose and almost a smoky toast oak palate with a bit of black pepper on the finish. Decent value offering.

In-laws are up this weekend, needed some sanity reinforcements.... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 783868

View attachment 783869
Never heard of this one before, but its a Willett product so I figured I'd give it a $30. Not too shabby.. Citrusy nose and almost a smoky toast oak palate with a bit of black pepper on the finish. Decent value offering.
I love everything Willett, even Pot Still. It's got a profile that is very polarizing. If you like this one, try the Old Bardstown Estate Bottled and Johnny Drum.

20210925_202430.jpg

I know there is an argument about neck pours but I really didn't care for this the first pour. I've left it for a few months ( in fact taken a few off whiskey completely). Really has softened up and the flavor is forward now. Really nice!

Something new, unique and nice coming next! Bourbon Saturday.

My alternate theory about neck pours is that our taste buds encounter certain compounds for the first time when we have some neck pours. They "remember" those compounds and they taste better the next time around. It's probably wrong, and I have no idea how you would test it, but it does explain how the people who say neck pours are different and the people who say neck pours are no different are both correct.

Full proof is heat up front with a nice finish. The Antique is the reverse. A more complex flavor pallet than full proof but a hot finish. I'm intrigued. Both make Weller SR pale in comparison.

Took a second sip from the A107...low heat through.....leads me to think I'm not good at this ( or need to understand how to) :unsure:

Second sip of full proof also not hot like before. The pallet learns.....

Took a second sip from the A107...low heat through.....leads me to think I'm not good at this ( or need to understand how to) :unsure:

Second sip of full proof also not hot like before. The pallet learns.....
I'm not convinced that "expert" tasters and amateur tasters are all that different.
https://gizmodo.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

Although I do think there are people who do have a genetic advantage for super tasting, like this guy.
https://www.winespectator.com/artic...rniawan-sentenced-to-10-years-in-prison-50301

So I'm not sure what to think. If you tell me you taste apricots, or portabella mushrooms in your whiskey, you go on my suspicious list. You could be right, but you could be full of it, and I'm not fully convinced of either.

20210925_215105.jpg

Can't stop now! But before that... I tried both full and 107 with ice. 107 watered down... recommend that one neat. The full proof opened up and was really good that way. YMMV

The infinity bottle is all of the above. Honestly was expecting WAY more complexity. But I could drink that anytime. Might make me start one!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom