Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (48 Viewers)

This is the first Sagamore I’ve seen around here… or the first I’ve noticed.

View attachment 773298
I’m planning to go to the distillery this month with a buddy. It’s owned by Kevin Plank who founded Under Armour. The water comes from his horse farm called Sagamore. The distillery is world class and quite the tourist draw. I was checking out the website this morning and they even have events called “workout and whiskey” which appears to be drunk yoga. I might sign up an event where you blow your own rocks glass.

I want like infinity of these:
1631239043156.png

Half way through the first WB Saffell and it's way better than the first sip. Not 100% sure it's worth $50 for a 375, but it's definitely very good. I'm gonna save one to compare fresh cracked to opened and aired out. We'll see if the neck pour is a real thing. Full disclosure...I seem to like the first sip more than the aired out pours.

I had a date night with Mrs S last night, and we tried a new-to-us restaurant in Winter Park, a suburb of Orlando.

This place had, by far, the best whiskey selection of any restaurant in the area that I've seen. Their spirits menu was six pages, and four of them were whiskeys.

PXL_20210911_231828731.jpg

My first was an Old Forester 1920. I've had this bottle in my hands at the store a few times but wanted to try it first, so I finally got my chance. Butterscotch/caramel, a little chocolate, and a nice rich mouth feel. I was shocked when I discovered it was 115 proof; I guessed 90-100 when I first tasted it.

I'll be picking up a bottle.

PXL_20210911_233123866.jpg

The second was Willett Pot Still. Not gonna lie, I was underwhelmed. A little sweet, a hint of smoke on the front and cinnamon on the end, but very thin bodied and a bit boring to me. Also seemed to have a harsh burn for 94 proof, but this may have been relative to the Old Forester.

PXL_20210912_010012510.jpg

I had a date night with Mrs S last night, and we tried a new-to-us restaurant in Winter Park, a suburb of Orlando.

This place had, by far, the best whiskey selection of any restaurant in the area that I've seen. Their spirits menu was six pages, and four of them were whiskeys.

View attachment 775579

My first was an Old Forester 1920. I've had this bottle in my hands at the store a few times but wanted to try it first, so I finally got my chance. Butterscotch/caramel, a little chocolate, and a nice rich mouth feel. I was shocked when I discovered it was 115 proof; I guessed 90-100 when I first tasted it.

I'll be picking up a bottle.

View attachment 775581

The second was Willett Pot Still. Not gonna lie, I was underwhelmed. A little sweet, a hint of smoke on the front and cinnamon on the end, but very thin bodied and a bit boring to me. Also seemed to have a harsh burn for 94 proof, but this may have been relative to the Old Forester.

View attachment 775582
Michters Barrel Strength Rye is a bargain at $17

I’m planning to go to the distillery this month with a buddy. It’s owned by Kevin Plank who founded Under Armour. The water comes from his horse farm called Sagamore. The distillery is world class and quite the tourist draw. I was checking out the website this morning and they even have events called “workout and whiskey” which appears to be drunk yoga. I might sign up an event where you blow your own rocks glass.
IIRC they were sourcing from MGP but now have enough of their own stock to start doing releasing their own start to finish.

I've heard good things about the site and was working on scheduling a guys distillery visit for a friend who is a big rye fan, but with numbers back up we are pushing it to next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom