Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

Overflow shelf all full. Perhaps I should slow down on purchasing more for a short while.

72A9872F-BACA-4120-876E-C822380D1B09.jpeg

Barrel proof battle tonight.

View attachment 674316

Yeah I have a pretty similar palate to this dude. If I had to put the 3 I had last night (all of which were really good) in order, I think it would be:

1 - C920
2 - A120
3 - A121

I think A120 had the best nose of all 3, it was the most aromatic with lots of strong toasted oak, dark cherry and vanilla. C920 was similar but a little lighter and more fruity. A121 had the lightest of the noses, more floral and fruity.

For taste, C920 was the most balanced and similar to the nose. Dark cherry, oak, and hints of dark sweet chocolate. A120 was similar but more on the gritter/grainy darker side. A121 was much lighter and fruity, citrus/apple and nutty, thinner and not as oily as the other two.

I need to see if I can find another bottle of C920.

Yeah I have a pretty similar palate to this dude. If I had to put the 3 I had last night (all of which were really good) in order, I think it would be:

1 - C920
2 - A120
3 - A121

I think A120 had the best nose of all 3, it was the most aromatic with lots of strong toasted oak, dark cherry and vanilla. C920 was similar but a little lighter and more fruity. A121 had the lightest of the noses, more floral and fruity.

For taste, C920 was the most balanced and similar to the nose. Dark cherry, oak, and hints of dark sweet chocolate. A120 was similar but more on the gritter/grainy darker side. A121 was much lighter and fruity, citrus/apple and nutty, thinner and not as oily as the other two.

Oops...2 hours too late. But, at the meetup, maybe you can pry it out of Derek's hands.

Got it. Then of course I spy this new Old Forester barrel strength, figured I'm just about out of 1920 so let's give it a try. Owner sees me checking them out and offers a quick taste. OMG this is a good one, had to grab a secone bottle. Going to crack this open later!

20210411_121226.jpg

Got it. Then of course I spy this new Old Forester barrel strength, figured I'm just about out of 1920 so let's give it a try. Owner sees me checking them out and offers a quick taste. OMG this is a good one, had to grab a secone bottle. Going to crack this open later!

View attachment 675406
My bottle is hot, but fantastic. Full of OF flavor goodness. Hotter than ECBP even around the same 130 proof.

I could google it, but what fun is that. May I ask what a bottle of OF Barrel Proof goes for? The only local shop that I know of that carries ECBP just upped their prices from 64 bucks to 80 bucks :( At that price point I'll just keep buying OF 1920 :)

I could google it, but what fun is that. May I ask what a bottle of OF Barrel Proof goes for? The only local shop that I know of that carries ECBP just upped their prices from 64 bucks to 80 bucks :( At that price point I'll just keep buying OF 1920 :)

These weren't cheap at $85. Same place has the ECBP for $80 (some other spots have ECBP for $65 but they fly off the shelf and are out of stock within a week). 1920 is a tough value to beat.

$89 for me for a store pick. $111 with our stupid taxes.

ECBP I can get for $70, $90 or so with tax.

20210411_194703.jpg

Yeah this is a fantastic bottle, 1920 on steroids. Lots of fresh cut green apple on the nose, really unique. The palate has a lot of the standard rich 1920 flavor profile but with a good deal of leather, tobacco and spice to boot. The 130 proof is hot at first sip but it burns off really quick and finishes long and smooth with the oak lingering forever. Awesome store pick, bought 2 and will likely head back for another 2.

View attachment 675667

Yeah this is a fantastic bottle, 1920 on steroids. Lots of fresh cut green apple on the nose, really unique. The palate has a lot of the standard rich 1920 flavor profile but with a good deal of leather, tobacco and spice to boot. The 130 proof is hot at first sip but it burns off really quick and finishes long and smooth with the oak lingering forever. Awesome store pick, bought 2 and will likely head back for another 2.
Grab one for me!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom