Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (38 Viewers)

One of the bottles I purchased for immediate consumption during my long stay here in Florida was the super talked about Bladnoch 10 Limited Release. Everyone raved about that bottle a few months ago and just now I've had the chance to try it.

Popped the cork maybe two weeks ago and had one dram three different nights. Not bad at all but just a bit too bitter on the finish for me.

Then, last night, playing my online league, I had three drams of it and from the moment I tried, it was a completely different whisky (or so I think). I LOVED it! It just clicked for me. It did not taste at all like the first few times I tried it and I'm left wondering if the whisky changed this much or it was just me, just one of those mood things.

It never cease to amaze me how subjective the whole whisky experience really is... And how things are ever changing...

My guess is that is was a bit of both. I definitely notice the whiskey change over time and I also notice how much more I appreciate it on certain days over others. Pretty bizarre but adds to the fun IMO!

Ok, I am going to give the affordable 10 year Whistle Pig a try for $79.95. If I love it, I may work my way up to that Boss Hog VII....we'll see. The 12 year takes a big dip in proof to 86 for $114.95, the 15 year is 92 proof for $224.95, 18 year also 92 proof for $399.95, and the Boss Hog VII is 105.1 proof for $491.90! Yikes

Also, @Saoliver I found the "B" horsey cork in the wild, so I won't need that one from ya. I wanted to find them all in the wild anyway, haha

20210401_101525.jpg

My guess is that is was a bit of both. I definitely notice the whiskey change over time and I also notice how much more I appreciate it on certain days over others. Pretty bizarre but adds to the fun IMO!

Completely agree, Jim. It is very likely a bit of both indeed. Neck pour is a thing for me, for sure. Can't think of a bottle that hasn't gotten better (even if just marginally) after the first few pours. But 'set and setting' is definitely a thing as well and it can affect the experience tremendously also.

Oh yeah, it is April.....

APRIL

Blade and Bow 22 Year - 2021 Release
EXPECTED DATE

Blood Oath Pact No. 7
EXPECTED DATE

Jefferson’s Ocean Aged at Sea Voyage 22
EXPECTED DATE
-90 Proof
Bottle Label

Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond Spring 2021
EXPECTED DATE

Penelope Barrel Strength Batch 06

I know I will be hunting that Blade & Bow 22 year and of course the Old Fitzgerald

APRIL

EXPECTED DATE

Blood Oath Pact No. 7
EXPECTED DATE

EXPECTED DATE
-90 Proof
Bottle Label

EXPECTED DATE

I know I will be hunting that Blade & Bow 22 year and of course the Old Fitzgerald
No chance I'm dropping $500 on any bottle!

APRIL

EXPECTED DATE

Blood Oath Pact No. 7
EXPECTED DATE

EXPECTED DATE
-90 Proof
Bottle Label

EXPECTED DATE

The Sauternes finish on the Pact 7 really intrigues me as it is not a common finish in the US at all. Coincidentally, Whistle Pig 12 does have a share of Sauternes finish in it, if my mind serves me right. Rye and Sauternes is a good combo in my mind. Spice + Sweet.

That finish works great for peated malts and my guess is it will be too subtle for bourbons, although that might not be a bad thing.

Of the latest Blood Oaths releases, this latest one might be the one I've been most excited about. Hope I can find a bottle...

Last edited:
Ok, I am going to give the affordable 10 year Whistle Pig a try for $79.95. If I love it, I may work my way up to that Boss Hog VII....we'll see. The 12 year takes a big dip in proof to 86 for $114.95, the 15 year is 92 proof for $224.95, 18 year also 92 proof for $399.95, and the Boss Hog VII is 105.1 proof for $491.90! Yikes

Also, @Saoliver I found the "B" horsey cork in the wild, so I won't need that one from ya. I wanted to find them all in the wild anyway, haha

View attachment 668228

I am a fan of whistlepig, though they do come at a pretty steep pricepoint. If you like the regular 10 year, keep your eye out for Store Pick bottles which are usually around 90-100 around me, but have often been aged 12 years. I wouldnt bother with Piggyback unless you are mixing it. My favorite of the regular lineup is the 12year. the 18y is incredibly smooth, and I didnt mind paying the $350 retail, but not sure I would keep going back to the well. I have a few unopened Boss Hogs, that I am saving for a rainy day taste test, so cant offer any opinion, other than I hate the price, but you can usually find one on the shelf.

I am a fan of whistlepig, though they do come at a pretty steep pricepoint. If you like the regular 10 year, keep your eye out for Store Pick bottles which are usually around 90-100 around me, but have often been aged 12 years. I wouldnt bother with Piggyback unless you are mixing it. My favorite of the regular lineup is the 12year. the 18y is incredibly smooth, and I didnt mind paying the $350 retail, but not sure I would keep going back to the well. I have a few unopened Boss Hogs, that I am saving for a rainy day taste test, so cant offer any opinion, other than I hate the price, but you can usually find one on the shelf.
forgot to mention, they do offer a little piglet sampler which makes it easy to try 10/12/15 next to each other.

I agree with the above sentiment.

Some picks are up to 15 years old actually, both from MGP and Alberta.

I still think the whole line-up could come down in price, to be fair.

Bosshogs are each a completely different animals from each other. I tried maybe three of them and my favorite and one of the best Ryes I've ever tried is the Black Prince. Fantastic! But yeah, $500 retail is a bit crazy imo...

I agree with the above sentiment.

Some picks are up to 15 years old actually, both from MGP and Alberta.

I still think the whole line-up could come down in price, to be fair.

Bosshogs are each a completely different animals from each other. I tried maybe three of them and my favorite and one of the best Ryes I've ever tried is the Black Prince. Fantastic! But yeah, $500 retail is a bit crazy imo...

I wanna say that the first couple Boss Hogs were only $299 and they didn’t really jump up over $500 until Dave Pickerrell passed away. Of course I thought 300 was obscene for Boss Hog 1, and by the time I looked on secondary market to add it, they were 2-3k. I do have a black prince bottle, so glad to hear your review

I wanna say that the first couple Boss Hogs were only $299 and they didn’t really jump up over $500 until Dave Pickerrell passed away. Of course I thought 300 was obscene for Boss Hog 1, and by the time I looked on secondary market to add it, they were 2-3k. I do have a black prince bottle, so glad to hear your review

Yep, I think you're right about the price of the first couple, Scott. I think the Black Prince came out at $400. The last few were at $500.

Yeah, I have a closed bottle of Black Prince as well. Bought after I tried at a friend's place and can't wait to crack it open. So many bottles, so little time, LOL! Gotta get to it! ;)

The 11 year is very good. I'd pass on the 114, it really dried me out. The BiB is very good as well. It was at the Fruitville Pike location.

Not for me. For a friend.
IMG_1195.jpg
The store got a full case of three and had them marked up a little from the $150 retail, but still under $200. I got the last one. I should have asked for the empty box. The guy who is in there all the time, Ami, said he was supposed to get one bottle of Stagg Jr, but it wasn't on the truck. He had a few expletives for that one. The delivery driver literally marked his invoice "not on the truck". lol

When this store gets a case of six of something, the markup is very low to non-existent. Toasted Barrel EC, McKenna BiB, Maker's Wood Finishing series - all sold out within a day, but they got full cases and the prices were low/regular. When they get 3 or less bottles of something is when the markups start. Like the 21 year old Japanese whisky that should have been $300 and they wanted $700. So I imagine if he did get one bottle of Stagg Jr, he's probably jacking that price up to over $100, or even more.

I need a shower, then some Maker's Mark.

There are about 6.5 million adults of drinking age in the state of Virginia. Only 63,000 lotto entries? The only reasonable conclusion is that there are over 6 million crazy people in Virginia.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom