Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (66 Viewers)

New York has been killing it lately with ryes...

227D93B1-73CF-4195-AA6A-DEB57FB3C051.jpeg

Definitely worth the extra price over regular Four Roses. Subtle easy drinker. Not the hot fire I normally love, but nice for a change of pace

IUdrISd.jpg
At $26 at Costco right now it’s solid, but I love the single barrel 100 proof for $35-40, probably my favorite “daily drinker”

Ok question for bourbon pros. I seriously love Rare Breed so much. Keep going back to that bottle. Any recommendations to try based on that?
Elijah Craig barrel proof is in a similar proof/flavor profile to me, a little less corn-forward, B520 is the best batch I’ve had. McKenna 10 year is also up there, a little lower proof, but similar sweet spice, and nutty corn and oak profile (single barrel dependent). Used to be easy to find at $35-40, has crept up to $60 though.

That B520 is fantastic, haven’t had the toasted barrel yet, how is it?
I’m really starting to think I don’t like the Heaven Hill flavor profile. Don’t really care for any of the EC but the Toasted might be my favorite. I have bottles of the Larceny BP and not a fan of those either. I’ll revisit all of them again in the future.

Just picked up a bottle of Very Old St. Nick. First bottle of this for me. Also went to a Wisconsin Distillery and picked up a Special release J. Henry. Waiting for a good occasion to crack them open.

I’m really starting to think I don’t like the Heaven Hill flavor profile. Don’t really care for any of the EC but the Toasted might be my favorite. I have bottles of the Larceny BP and not a fan of those either. I’ll revisit all of them again in the future.

100% understandable. People certainly have different likes and dislikes. Although I'm a fan of the ECBP, I'm lukewarm of the SB and Toasted. I actually like the Henry McKenna 10 BIB (also HH) better over the last two.

So which bottles/flavors are more your profile?

I seriously love Rare Breed so much. Keep going back to that bottle. Any recommendations to try based on that?

Russels Reserve Single Barrel. Same distillery, very, very close profile. Can't remember if you already posted having tried that one already. Slightly lower proof (110P). Some barrel variance tough.

100% understandable. People certainly have different likes and dislikes. Although I'm a fan of the ECBP, I'm lukewarm of the SB and Toasted. I actually like the Henry McKenna 10 BIB (also HH) better over the last two.

I have the McKenna along with HH BiB, I will probably open the BiB soon but the McKenna I got before the prices skyrocketed. Oddly I did enjoy their EW SB. The Bernhiem was good.
Think I prefer the Beam Suntory flavors. Knob Creek is always enjoyable. I had a Little Book out at a restaurant one night and it was absolutely the most fantastic drink I’ve ever had. Not sure which Chapter, they said 1 but often at restaurants when you ask those questions they look at you oddly (have had it happen a few times when I ask which Voyage for Oceans). Also Makers is usually very solid. Most everything from Buffalo Trace is enjoyable. So don’t know exactly still what I like but easy to say what I don’t like and there have only been a few bottles I’ve gone back to and still struggled to get it down 1792 and Heavens Door. I can get the EC’s down but it’s not something I say that’s delicious I want more.
Did just have a 1792 store pick full proof and first glass was good.

I don’t generally like HH profile as much as others, but occasionally an ECBP will stand out. I also don’t generally like Beam profile, particularly younger releases or ones that are overly nutty- I do like the KC 12y and 15y releases that are better balanced and have some nice oak character, and do like some Bookers releases that are less nutty. I’m kind of indifferent to makers Mark and Barton.
Favorite palate profiles are anything 4Roses or BT (preferably barrel proof) generally, though wheaters often aren’t my favorite.

Got this the other day, and it's really very good.

Poor Mans drink.. R&R Reserve, Canadian Blend..

Attachments

• 100_6023.JPG
    100_6023.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_6025.JPG
    100_6025.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 55

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom