Nit Buttons - Variation of the stand up game (1 Viewer)

I can’t believe I am just seeing this thread. I have a lot to say about the stand up game. It is awesome!

First, we do not stand because the stand up game (in its original form) ran all night. A while back I created buttons - 8 players, 7 buttons. Basic game - Every time a players wins a hand, they get a button. Last person without a button pays the other players. These are my buttons.
759029C7-6A42-4914-BD7D-049CC00DE6F2.jpeg

BUT WAIT! In playing the stand up game, we realized a few flaws/weaknesses:

1. If you have a few tight players, the game can drag on for a really long time. game loses its luster.
2. There is no incentive for players who have already won a button to keep up aggressive play.

So, being complete degens, we super charged the game. New rules:

1. Still 8 players, 7 buttons. But now players can win more than 1 button. Every time a player wins a hand, he/she gets a button.
2. At the end of the 7 hands, whoever does not have a button loses. Yes, there can be multiple losers. All the losers must pay the winners according to the number of buttons held by each winner. winners do not have to pay other winners with more buttons. Only those with no buttons pay the winners.
3. The benefits are a) the game is over in 7 hands, and b) people are incentivized to win as many buttons as possible so the action is crazy. Also, each loser can only lose the amount that they would have lost in the normal stand up game.

example:

If you play the stand up game for $10/man, in a regular 8 player game, 1 player is going to lose $70 (And pay $10 to each of the 7 winners). As modified, let’s say player A wins five hands (gets 5 buttons) and player B wins 2 hands (gets 2 buttons). That means 6 players have lost the game, and each of those 6 players must pay $70 to the two winners - $50 each to player A and $20 each to player B. That means player A wins a total of $300 and player B wins $120 (as compared to the old game where 1 player loses $70 and must pay each winner $10).

The modified stand up game is a GREAT way to increase action. The incentive to win hands is real! So much better than the old game. Everyone is locked in for 7 hands. You can run the game as much or as little as you want. Stuck players can get even fast! Nits cannot hide! It’s awesome!

The benefits are a) the game is over in 7 hands, and b) people are incentivized to win as many buttons as possible so the action is crazy. Also, each loser can only lose the amount that they would have lost in the normal stand up game.
I love this. Gonna try it during my next game.

I can’t believe I am just seeing this thread. I have a lot to say about the stand up game. It is awesome!

First, we do not stand because the stand up game (in its original form) ran all night. A while back I created buttons - 8 players, 7 buttons. Basic game - Every time a players wins a hand, they get a button. Last person without a button pays the other players. These are my buttons.
View attachment 1099382

BUT WAIT! In playing the stand up game, we realized a few flaws/weaknesses:

1. If you have a few tight players, the game can drag on for a really long time. game loses its luster.
2. There is no incentive for players who have already won a button to keep up aggressive play.

So, being complete degens, we super charged the game. New rules:

1. Still 8 players, 7 buttons. But now players can win more than 1 button. Every time a player wins a hand, he/she gets a button.
2. At the end of the 7 hands, whoever does not have a button loses. Yes, there can be multiple losers. All the losers must pay the winners according to the number of buttons held by each winner. winners do not have to pay other winners with more buttons. Only those with no buttons pay the winners.
3. The benefits are a) the game is over in 7 hands, and b) people are incentivized to win as many buttons as possible so the action is crazy. Also, each loser can only lose the amount that they would have lost in the normal stand up game.

example:

If you play the stand up game for $10/man, in a regular 8 player game, 1 player is going to lose $70 (And pay $10 to each of the 7 winners). As modified, let’s say player A wins five hands (gets 5 buttons) and player B wins 2 hands (gets 2 buttons). That means 6 players have lost the game, and each of those 6 players must pay $70 to the two winners - $50 each to player A and $20 each to player B. That means player A wins a total of $300 and player B wins $120 (as compared to the old game where 1 player loses $70 and must pay each winner $10).

The modified stand up game is a GREAT way to increase action. The incentive to win hands is real! So much better than the old game. Everyone is locked in for 7 hands. You can run the game as much or as little as you want. Stuck players can get even fast! Nits cannot hide! It’s awesome!
This is a great improvement to the stand up game!!! I can't wait to incorporate it into our cash games!!!!

It's one of the more complicated side bets to set up. We tried and fail to even start the stand up game at my most recent home game.

For example, I suggested we should determine the start of the stand-up game randomly to promote some semblance of fairness. Otherwise, whoever suggests we play this game is usually in some kind of late position and is statistically more likely to win a pot.

No one cared haha.

The main thing we wanted to verbally agree on is what happens if someone wants to forfeit or quit. Trying to explain an equity chop with Statistic 101 terms didn't go over well when players were at least three drinks in. One suggested we fuck the equity chop idea. No quitting. You go busto and don't want to reload? Too bad, you lose the full amount out of pocket. Two players didn't like the idea of that possibility, so we didn't play the stand up game.

I love this. Gonna try it during my next game.
some other rules I forgot to mention:

1. If multiple players run it twice, the player who wins the first run out gets the button.
2. If multiple players tie in a particular hand, no button is awarded for that hand.
3. If you all want to go really crazy, if a player scoops all buttons, all losers must pay that winning player double.
4. If you all play double board bomb pots, we play that if a player scoops a bomb pot (wins both boards) that player gets a button (for the next game that night if no game is running at the time).

Have fun!

You go busto and don't want to reload? Too bad, you lose the full amount out of pocket. Two players didn't like the idea of that possibility, so we didn't play the stand up game.
I’d be one of those guys. I guess I’m just too comfortable with table stakes - I don’t feel like anybody should ever have to go into their pocket.
Maybe just set it up so people pre-pay for the game?
Edit - I guess that would be dumb, with everybody else getting refunds. Hmm. I thought I was onto something for a second.

I’d be one of those guys. I guess I’m just too comfortable with table stakes - I don’t feel like anybody should ever have to go into their pocket.
Maybe just set it up so people pre-pay for the game?
Edit - I guess that would be dumb, with everybody else getting refunds. Hmm. I thought I was onto something for a second.
It's awkward, for sure, but negotiating how to handle quitters will resolve potential conflict down the road.

At a recent home game with a bunch of PCFers, two people were left standing. One busted out and did not want to reload. It wasn't fair to the last person standing for the busto player to leave without paying a penalty.

What if I'm one of the last three people standing and I decide I don't want to play poker anymore? Rack up my chips and cash out? Yes, legally other players can't do anything to force me to pay for the stand up game, but this action won't go over well.

I think a verbal agreement that everyone will stay until the end of the stand up game and/or is financially capable of paying either out of pocket or electronically from a checking account is sufficient. An escrow can be explored if you don't trust everyone on the table, but at that point, I'd rather not play. As you may have realize, it's kinda dumb to set up an escrow when most will expect to receive their money back.

It's awkward, for sure, but negotiating how to handle quitters will resolve potential conflict down the road.

At a recent home game with a bunch of PCFers, two people were left standing. One busted out and did not want to reload. It wasn't fair to the last person standing for the busto player to leave without paying a penalty.

What if I'm one of the last three people standing and I decide I don't want to play poker anymore? Rack up my chips and cash out? Yes, legally other players can't do anything to force me to pay for the stand up game, but this action won't go over well.

I think a verbal agreement that everyone will stay until the end of the stand up game and/or is financially capable of paying either out of pocket or electronically from a checking account is sufficient. An escrow can be explored if you don't trust everyone on the table, but at that point, I'd rather not play. As you may have realize, it's kinda dumb to set up an escrow when most will expect to receive their money back.
I’m shocked that anybody would think they could quit without paying in full. I don’t like the idea of going into my pocket, but once I agreed to play, then that’s that. I don’t think I’d want to ever play cards again with a guy who thought he could weasel out of paying just because he got felted.
I guess the problem with creating a plan for quitters is that you’re encouraging quitting, and that’s no good. I think either everybody’s prepared to pay everybody off, or they’re not playing. Can you just play it without the one or two nits who don’t want to play? I guess it would be less fun, but I don’t see any reason why one or two guys can’t just stay on their seats and keep playing regularly while everybody else plays the game.

We do something similar. You can use these as kind of show em chips. It costs double the usual show em price but you get your money back if you guess correctly if your opponent had the hand or was bluffing you.

View attachment 1087997
This is such a better way of using the Show'em chip than we had been using. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
We do something similar. You can use these as kind of show em chips. It costs double the usual show em price but you get your money back if you guess correctly if your opponent had the hand or was bluffing you.

View attachment 1087997
Can you explain the “show em” to me? I thought it was a chip you give someone to force them to show their cards, I didn’t know there was a fee involved

Can you explain the “show em” to me? I thought it was a chip you give someone to force them to show their cards, I didn’t know there was a fee involved
In my game each player gets one “show em” chip per night. They can use it whenever they want but they have to pay 2 big blinds when it’s used.

Some games charge at the beginning of the night (for example everyone pays an extra 2BBs and is given a show em chip).

Other games just hand them out but don’t charge. There’s no set rule. It’s up to you how you run your game.

In my game each player gets one “show em” chip per night. They can use it whenever they want but they have to pay 2 big blinds when it’s used.

Some games charge at the beginning of the night (for example everyone pays an extra 2BBs and is given a show em chip).

Other games just hand them out but don’t charge. There’s no set rule. It’s up to you how you run your game.
interesting. Who are you paying the 2 BB to? The other player, or the house? I’ve heard people charge something like that for “rabbit chasing“ (or something like that) where they want to see the runout (once they’ve folded) and they pay the 2 BB to the hourly jackpot

interesting. Who are you paying the 2 BB to? The other player, or the house? I’ve heard people charge something like that for “rabbit chasing“ (or something like that) where they want to see the runout (once they’ve folded) and they pay the 2 BB to the hourly jackpot
They pay the player whose cards they want to see.

The “show em” is good fun especially as one of our players is super tight and hates showing what he had.

We don’t do rabbit chasing or a high hand jackpot.

They pay the player whose cards they want to see.

The “show em” is good fun especially as one of our players is super tight and hates showing what he had.

We don’t do rabbit chasing or a high hand jackpot.
Sounds like a Cool side-game.
what do your show-em chips look like and where did you buy them?
i like this addition to the game

Sounds like a Cool side-game.
what do your show-em chips look like and where did you buy them?
i like this addition to the game
I got two different types made by BRPro poker. You can buy some in the group buy section or you can do your own design. Alternatively you can just relabel another chip.
IMG_7684.jpeg
IMG_7683.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom