Nit Buttons - Variation of the stand up game (1 Viewer)

Man those are great. I love the Leonardo DiCaprio smirk

what are the skillz and bluff portions of the game?
We added a further “double or nothing” aspect to the show em chips. You guess if the other person has the hand “skillz” or was bluffing you. If you guess right you get BB back but if you’re wrong you need to pay an extra BB.

We added a further “double or nothing” aspect to the show em chips. You guess if the other person has the hand “skillz” or was bluffing you. If you guess right you get BB back but if you’re wrong you need to pay an extra BB.
Is this a reusable chip? Or do you pay a BB and give the player the chip (for them to have an extra one that they can use later), or give the house the chip (to be out of play)? It seems like this is the same thing as the “show me” chip

Is this a reusable chip? Or do you pay a BB and give the player the chip (for them to have an extra one that they can use later), or give the house the chip (to be out of play)? It seems like this is the same thing as the “show me” chip
You only get to use it once per game so you hand it back to the house after use.

You only get to use it once per game so you hand it back to the house after use.
Thanks for explaining.
ok, for the skillz/bluff chip, you pay 1 or 2 BB and relinquish your chip as either a bluff or a skillz play, then the other player shows you their card. If you were correct, they give you back your 1-2 BB. If you’re wrong, you actually give them double that amount?

how do you determine a bluff or skills? For example, what if there are an Ace and King on the board, but nobody bet pre-flop so it’s unlikely they have either one, and they are betting a pair of 99s for thin value. How do you determine what is a bluff or skill play?

For the purpose of that game, the intent of the bet should not be considered for the reasons you allude to. It's about what would have been the effect, meaning whether the bettor held a better hand than the folder at the time of the fold.

For the purpose of that game, the intent of the bet should not be considered for the reasons you allude to. It's about what would have been the effect, meaning whether the bettor held a better hand than the folder at the time of the fold.
Well, that makes perfect sense. Haha. I didn’t think of that
so this is essentially a variation of the show em chips/game

A quick mockup, how my aluminum cards could look like

IMG_20230515_135913.jpg

So, being complete degens, we super charged the game.
I love this idea! It's not necessary for my current group - they're a bunch of action junkies already - but this would be a great way to get the blood flowing at many slightly-too-tight games.

The problem without standing up for the stand-up game is it removes the "penalty" and one portion of the desire to win a hand (so you can sit back down). Otherwise, it's just a subtle variation on something like the 7-2 game.
In my game, the shame of not having won a pot yet is penalty enough, and motivates players to move stacks just fine. Standing up would just be annoying to everyone.

We do something similar. You can use these as kind of show em chips. It costs double the usual show em price but you get your money back if you guess correctly if your opponent had the hand or was bluffing you.
Currently, we let players keep their show'em chip if they can guess the hand, and there's a lot of leeway. Guesses like "overpair" and "nut flush" are acceptable, you don't have to call the exact hand.

I really like the idea of "he's got it" or "he doesn't," and would like to try it sometime. How do you handle ambiguous situations like protection bets or "betting to see where I'm at" with weak made hands?

Currently, we let players keep their show'em chip if they can guess the hand, and there's a lot of leeway. Guesses like "overpair" and "nut flush" are acceptable, you don't have to call the exact hand.

I really like the idea of "he's got it" or "he doesn't," and would like to try it sometime. How do you handle ambiguous situations like protection bets or "betting to see where I'm at" with weak made hands?
Last night a player bet strongly after the turn when he had two diamonds in hand and another 2 on the board. So it was a semi-bluff. I guessed that he had something and was allowed to keep my chip. I was expecting to have to pay double but the consensus was that I was right. Totally and utterly subjective and decisions made by the appeals panel have often left players feeling “disappointed” to the extent that the Skillz / Bluff chips are frequently launched across the table :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It’s just a bit of fun and really we use it to wind up the nits who hate having to show what the had in hand.

Totally and utterly subjective and decisions made by the appeals panel have often left players feeling “disappointed” to the extent that the Skillz / Bluff chips are frequently launched across the table :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
ouran high school host club fighting GIF

It’s just a bit of fun and really we use it to wind up the nits who hate having to show what the had in hand.
Not only the nits. A couple of the uberlags in my game hate it when they're forced to show a bluff. They want the nits to think they always have it.

ouran high school host club fighting GIF

Not only the nits. A couple of the uberlags in my game hate it when they're forced to show a bluff. They want the nits to think they always have it.
It’s good fun. My game is all about the social aspect and not too serious. I suppose the reaction will depend on your crowd.

The problem without standing up for the stand-up game is it removes the "penalty" and one portion of the desire to win a hand (so you can sit back down). Otherwise, it's just a subtle variation on something like the 7-2 game.
Yeah, last night on the million dollar game, Jean Robert insisted on actually standing, saying that it increases the action even more - nobody wants to stand, and people care less about winning the game if they get to sit the whole time.

Saw a tweet from Berkey with a variant on the standup game when the seven deuce game is also on. They play that if you win the seven deuce bounty you also get to make a player who is sitting down stand back up. Gotta try this one…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom