New Theme: Canadiana, or something, eh? (3 Viewers)

Definitely do get the gradient in the background, but I'm unsure about the color-matched text. #2 definitely falls out, the pink text on the $100 doesn't fit imo. With #3 I'm unsure. The red-black text from #1 does look nice.

Tie between 1 & 3 for me.

#1 has my vote as a purely Canadian set idea. White and red adds to that idea.

#3 has my vote as far as looks.
If this were anything other than a Canadian theme, where the white/red had no importance, these colors just hit a home run!

I'm in the lucky position of not having to make this decision, lol. But tbh both are amazing. Personal choice.

i was leaning towards 3 initially but i think genghis hit it spot on: the white - red has meaning and makes it pop all the more.
so i vote 1 and if samples, i’m in.

which ever you choose, it’ll be awesome no mattef what though. full marks to you and J5.

i was leaning towards 3 initially but i think genghis hit it spot on: the white - red has meaning and makes it pop all the more.
so i vote 1 and if samples, i’m in.

which ever you choose, it’ll be awesome no mattef what though. full marks to you and J5.

I put in the order with CPC already (just need to get them the artwork now) and made sure to order enough to ensure at least a handful of samples for those with interest. I'll be doing up cut card and dealer buttons as well and will end up doing sample sets w/ CC and DBs for those who want them. I figure I'll have enough for 10 sets in the end.

Two more mock-ups (4 & 5 below) with variations on the colour matching (with the previous three options for reference).

I'm fairly torn, personally. I think the points re: #1 and the relevance to "Canadiana" with the red and white are strong. I do like colour-matching though and, as someone else mentioned, wonder if colour gradient background with red text might be a good compromise? I think that might be the last test, then decision time. :nailbite:

cr_hh_set1a.png

2. & 3.
cr_hh_set1b.png
cr_hh_set1c.png

4. NEW! and 5. NEW!
cr_hh_set1e.png
cr_hh_set1d.png

Radial gradient perhaps, color outside and white in center?

Radial gradient w/ the vertical gradient for reference. Which one do you think looks better?

Also, finally had the maple leaves rotated in the second inlay (vs. horizontal before).

1603727079119.png

Linear gradient comes across "louder" (if that makes any sense to you) while the radial gradient makes it a little bit calmer because the color on the inlay is more evenly distributed. Might also look better in splash pots where chips are randomly rotated. Depends on what vibe you want them to have...

For the gradient, I might increase the size of the white center, pushing the color farther out to the border. The white area as it is currently sized is covered by the actual artwork to a large percentage.

Linear gradient comes across "louder" (if that makes any sense to you) while the radial gradient makes it a little bit calmer because the color on the inlay is more evenly distributed. Might also look better in splash pots where chips are randomly rotated. Depends on what vibe you want them to have...

For the gradient, I might increase the size of the white center, pushing the color farther out to the border. The white area as it is currently sized is covered by the actual artwork to a large percentage.
I've been staring at both on and off all night and can't decide which one I like best - I think each has it's merits.

The linear gradient fades out at the top, which I think allows the bear to stand out on the inlay a bit more.

The circular gradient, as you say, is a bit more calm or refined perhaps and a slightly larger white area might allow for the text to stand out a bit more.

Decisions, decisions...

Ok, final final comparison, then it's final final decision time... 1st or 2nd?

cr_hh_set2a.png
cr_hh_set1f.png

I think the 1st looks pretty good, but unsure if it works with the flip side of the chip... perhaps a bit too much white space? Thoughts?
cr_hh_set2b.png

You mean something like this:

View attachment 564802 vs. View attachment 564805

I have to admit... nailing down the final version it proving harder than I thought!
Yeah that’s it.

You do realise that none of your regular players will even notice. One or two might notice that the chips aren’t the usual ones they play with but that’ll be it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah that’s it.

You do realise that none of your regular players will even notice. One or two might notice that the chips aren’t the usual ones they play with but that’ll be it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
LOL. Sad but true... though one guy just bought some china clays, so there's hope for them yet!

But who cares about them... I just want the love and approval of my fellow PCFers! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

LOL. Sad but true... though one guy just bought some china clays, so there's hope for them yet!

But who cares about them... I just want the love and approval of my fellow PCFers! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You don’t need us to validate you. Be your own chip nerd :LOL: :laugh:

After hours, nay, days of humming and hawing, the final decision has been made. It wasn't easy and I'm still torn, but the "ballot," so to speak, has been signed, sealed and delivered!

Final proofs from J5 inbound soon! :)

For certain, it’ll be the first chip set that has buttons for both a “Bounty” AND a “Sorry” that are exchanged between players after the hand. :p:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

For certain, it’ll be the first chip set that has buttons for both a “Bounty” AND a “Sorry” that are exchanged between players after the hand. :p:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You must be a mind-reader, because a "Sorry, eh!" bounty chip is most certainly planned for a future tourney set... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It was a long, long process with literally dozens of mocks up for the chips and the inlay, but here we are... the final final version!

I was admittedly torn on the inlay and really looked for a way to integrate colour matching into the design. In the end though, I felt the plain white background was the stronger of the design options. It works across all denominations, allows the design to shine, and (as several have pointed out) really compliments the "Canada" theme with the red and white.

cr_hh3a.png
cr_hh3b.png

I can't thank @Johnny5 enough for all his help in bringing my vision to life (and for putting up with all my various change requests!) It's easy to see why he's earned the excellent reputation he has here!

Thanks to you all as well for your help and inputs along the way! It's been a fun process and I've certainly gained an appreciation for what it takes to put together a custom set (and a bigger respect for those members who consistently put out grail sets of their own!)

Can't wait to receive these! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom