Need help - 60 inch round (1 Viewer)

brains613

Flush
Reaction score
I'd like to build a 60 inch round table. I'm still in the planning phase. My question: Is there rail foam material I can use in one piece to cover the rail? Or do I have to piece something together? If I have to piece foam together, can you direct me to a guide on how to do it?

I've built tables before, but this will be the first round one.

If Chanman chimes in I'm sure he'll have the advice you need. I didn't intend to threadjack, brains; sorry about that.

5x5 Baltic Birch is the common suggestion. I may have found a source for a few sheets pretty cheap.

I did check over at PTF. The search function or a manual search didn't reveal an answer...

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I could make it 54 inches around, but I'm hoping to get eight seats around it. It will be tight if I reduce it by that much.

I don't think there's been any posts about building such a large table on pokertableforum yet. Here's a guide though: http://pokertableforum.com/index.php?topic=29.0

If you can get foam that's 60" wide, you can stretch it the same way you would stretch the vinyl. Foambymail also sells custom cut foam. You can order a piece of round 1" HD Luxe foam 60x60 which they cut into a crude circle for you. I think they can even go larger but not by much more.

5x5 baltic birch ply is the way to go. You can always piece 2 sheets together with dowels or biscuits but the 5x5 is the best.

Found this just now. Intriguing option. About $50 for a 66 inch round piece.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/Merch...tore_Code=foambymail&category_id=1&shape_id=3

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I don't think there's been any posts about building such a large table on pokertableforum yet. Here's a guide though: http://pokertableforum.com/index.php?topic=29.0

If you can get foam that's 60" wide, you can stretch it the same way you would stretch the vinyl. Foambymail also sells custom cut foam. You can order a piece of round 1" HD Luxe foam 60x60 which they cut into a crude circle for you. I think they can even go larger but not by much more.

5x5 baltic birch ply is the way to go. You can always piece 2 sheets together with dowels or biscuits but the 5x5 is the best.

My woodworking skills leave much to be desired, so I need the project to be simple. No dowels or biscuits for me. You should have seen my garage full of all the messed up pieces of plywood I experimented on....

Thanks for the tip about the foam. Looks to be the same company, perhaps, that I posted in my link. I'm gonna do two tables at once, so I think I'll grab two sheets.

Yeah same company. Their foam is decent but sometimes when you order a certain size from them they will seam 2 pieces together with a hard glue seam and not tell you. I imagine because in normal upholstery situations the seam isn't a big deal but on a poker table it's very noticeable. You may want to email them beforehand to ask if a sheet that size will be seamed or not. For a 60" round table you should get a slightly bigger sheet to wrap around the edges so at that size it's possible they will seam it.

Yeah same company. Their foam is decent but sometimes when you order a certain size from them they will seam 2 pieces together with a hard glue seam and not tell you. I imagine because in normal upholstery situations the seam isn't a big deal but on a poker table it's very noticeable. You may want to email them beforehand to ask if a sheet that size will be seamed or not. For a 60" round table you should get a slightly bigger sheet to wrap around the edges so at that size it's possible they will seam it.

Awesome advice. I'll be sure to do that.

This is going to become a build thread, I guess.

I have another question. I'm considering adding cupholders to the rail. I had a link bookmarked, but I just tried it and it's broken. (SK forum). Can someone direct me to an instruction page, preferably with pictures? Or maybe T_Chan has some input?

I was actually looking for info on making the holes and upholstering the rail. The last cupholders I did were in the racetrack and playing surface, cut with a hole saw. Do I need to do anything different?

Regarding the rings, too easy. I'll just buy them from you when I get ready.

T_Chan may have something more comprehensive over at his forum, but this is the one I originally did over at keens (copied to PMC for prosperity):

http://perfectmancave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6741

The method for cutting out the holes will depend on your tools. I use a router with a circle jig (jasper). You can also use a hole saw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom