Nashville visit recommendations (3 Viewers)

Lars

Flush
Reaction score
My wife and brother decided to surprise me with a trip to Nashville to celebrate my 50th birthday. It is the perfect gift tying together my love of Neon, BBQ and Music.
We plan to see a show at the Grand ole Oprey, as well as the Civil War tour, Johnny Cash museum and Country Music Hall of Fame. We are staying close to Broadway but will have a rental car the entire time. So far we plan to leave for a couple of days to visit Lynchburg and seeing a show at The Caverns. We plan to visit Peg Leg Porker as I have seen him on completion shows and enjoy his BS corner podcast.

I would love to know of other great places to see and eat while there.
Thanks

You could check out a Nashville Sounds minor league baseball game. Tickets are fairly cheap and the park has a nice view of the city.

1681368477321.jpeg

If you like country music and southern cooking, the Loveless Café is highly regarded by the locals, and their biscuits are so well known they have been featured on numerous television shows and are shipped across the country. If not going for breakfast, you want to be there on Wednesday afternoon/evening when they have live music that is alleged to be better than any honky-tonk on Broadway.

I'm not a country music fan, and prefer "high end" cooking and ethnic food over "southern cooking like grandma used to make", so I haven't made the trek myself. I was tempted to go, but their biscuits lost on "Throwdown! with Bobby Flay". Still, the locals love it, so I pass this information onto you to do with as you please.

Monell's on 6th ave was a cool dining experience if you are friendly(community tables) and had very good southern-style food imo

+1 on Prince's, for the original Nashville Hot Chicken. However, like many originals vs imitators, I tend to prefer the imitators, as they improve on the original (which cannot change out of history/fan base). In the case of NHC, I give the nod to Hot Shake's. More flavor as opposed to "just hot" (but mine is still better IMO).

Some of the best food in Nashville is in an area called The Gulch. South of Broadway, between the Interstates and the train tracks. This is food I can reccommend. It's also very close to "Music Row", which may also be of interest.

I'm also going to recommend getting a good view of any "Bachelorette Party Busses". These are a thing in Nashville, where brides and bride's maids are driven around town while drinking and dancing on the top of a double decker bus.

Drinking and dancing.
From an elevated platform.
In mini skirts.
Frequently with little else.

Nashville has had a rash of pedestrians hit by cars as men blindly follow these busses into traffic (roughly 1 per week). It's a sight to see - but don't follow (or stand in the road at you gaze).

Dolly’s hotel is walking distance from the Oprey. Inside are Beautiful gardens. Nice free way to spend 20 minutes.

This is all you need to know.

Peg Leg Porker is a top 5 best bbq place. Fantastic. He has a sister bbq place - Bringle's Smoking Oasis, which is also fantastic. Peg Leg is Memphis style, where as Bringle's Smoking Oasis is Texas Style.

I think Hattie B's is overrated, Go to Prince's.

Robert's Western World is my favorite place on Broadway. Old School Twang. The bands aren't allowed to play anything after 1980.

For 80's and 90's country, check out Layla' next door.

If anyone is looking for a quasi-itenerary this is what I just did.

Thursday Evening:
- Check in at hotel (Stayed at Hyatt Place near downtown)
- Dinner at Hattie Bs
- Bopped around different Honky Tonks on Broadway - Second Fiddle, Tin Roof, Whiskey Row, Kid Rock's

Friday
- Breakfast at The Diner - standard but nice enough
- Country Music Hall of Fame
- Walked to Bicentennial Mall and Farmers Market
- Dinner at Bakersfield (Mexican, has a few locations in the US) which was good
- Drink at Alley Taps in Printer's Alley
- Saw David Spade at the Ryman Auditorium

Saturday
- Pancake Pantry for breakfast (opens early, line gets long starting at 8 or so) but this was very good
- Cheered on folks at half marathon
- Peg Leg Porker for lunch
- Then bopped around Broadway/Printer's Alley again - ACME, back to Alley Taps, Robert's Western World, Tootsies, Honky Tonk Central
- In between bopping around went to Assembly Food Hall and Got Pharmacy Burger. This is essentially just a food court near downtown; wouldn't necessarily recommend.

Things I want to do next time:
- Predators Game (not an option this trip unforutnatelyt)
- Check out more of East Nashville
- Bluebird Cafe

Dunno how the food is at Peg Leg Porker, but that neon sign sure would make for a gangbusters inlay (or hot-stamp). Love the tag line, too, great for poker ("Limpin' ain't easy").

Dunno how the food is at Peg Leg Porker, but that neon sign sure would make for a gangbusters inlay (or hot-stamp). Love the tag line, too, great for poker ("Limpin' ain't easy").
For anyone interested in the source of the slogan...

The owner, Carey Bringle, lost his leg at 17 to bone cancer. Hence the slogan and name of the restaurant. It was initially the name of his bbq competition team before he opened his own place.

Bump!!

I’m going and I’m looking for recommendations - hoping it’s still amazing this time of year. Going with my wonderful wife and want to plan a tentative itinerary.

Never been. Canadian. Help!

Thank you!

From our last visit a couple of months ago -- all highly recommended:

Listening Room Cafe, on 4th, south of Broadway: Casual, good food, lunch and supper, surprisingly good local relatively unknown singer-songwriters.

Puckett's, on Church: Excellent southern food and really good music.

Black Rabbit, on 3rd Ave. N: Excellent very creative American food, excellent music.

60 Vines, in the Assembly Food Hall, 5055 Broadway.: Amazing , huge top floor wine bar and restaurant. Best place we've found recently in Nashville.

Biggest disappointments this trip:

Peg Leg Porker - long walk for really shitty food, nothing atmosphere.
Liberty Common (gone way downhill).
21c, terrific hotel -- closed.

Listening Room Cafe, on 4th, south of Broadway: Casual, good food, lunch and supper, surprisingly good local relatively unknown singer-songwriters.

Black Rabbit, on 3rd Ave. N: Excellent very creative American food, excellent music.

60 Vines, in the Assembly Food Hall, 5055 Broadway.: Amazing , huge top floor wine bar and restaurant. Best place we've found recently in Nashville.

I was totally unimpressed with Puckett's, though they have multiple locations now (Nashville's location is the newest), so I am clearly in a minority here. I am very interested in Black Rabbit though. Just need an excuse to go there. Perhaps if someone from out of town said "Hey, lets meet up at Black Rabbit...". :whistle: :whistling:

Wow. I was there this past weekend and ate at both Peg Leg Porker and his sister place, Bringle's Smoking Oasis, and they both were fantastic. Never had a bad meal there.

Bump!!

I’m going and I’m looking for recommendations - hoping it’s still amazing this time of year. Going with my wonderful wife and want to plan a tentative itinerary.

Thank you!
I was there this past weekend and it was in the high 40's, so it has been on the colder side. Still a fun town.

Bump!!

Thank you!

I have intended to thank everyone for the suggestions and share my thoughts on what was an almost perfect trip. I have one more 18 hour work day tomorrow and then I will be enjoying some whisky and the NFL super wildcard weekend. I will have time on Saturday to share my thoughts. Nashville is awesome you are going to have a great time!

Hey everyone thank you for all the awesome feedback! Lots of great places to go and dine and listen to music!

I’m also looking for daytime outings and suggestions of things to do! I realize it’s not optimal season and temperatures but we can handle it!

We are pretty open to anything and will be staying around “the gulch” area of Nashville ‍♂️

Thanks everyone!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom