My Plans as a New Member (1 Viewer)

PortalMan

High Hand
Reaction score
Hello this is my first official thread on PCF! I'm semi-new to poker meaning I have only played Zynga poker (on/off for years) and less then a handful of home games played. Also very new to this unexpected gigantic world of poker chips :eek: .

My goals are to:
1. Host a Home tournament game running monthly with cash games in-between.
2. Build a poker table topper for my dinner room table (I don't think I can convince my GF to have a dedicated poker table in our apartment ahah).
3. Buy a tournament set big enough for multiple table growth without having to order more.
4. Buy a small semi custom cash set for one table, and lastly
5. Make a custom set of CPC for my "final" chip set.

I already attempted setting up my first home cash game. It didn't go as well as I thought it would. I only gave them a week notice which at the time seemed like plenty of time, But after lurking on here. I see a lot of people try and give their guys a month notice, which I will do next time I plan on setting one up. Also I feel like my player base is really small which is the problem I'm trying to solve at the moment. My non-work buddies have never really played poker before so I'm trying to find a way to get them more interested in poker knowing that. and my work buddies are hard to convince because I live a "far" 15 miles out of town.

Thank you in advance for reading and commenting any advice you have for me as a new pcf member, hopefully monthly host, and Chip collector. :)

Hi and welcome.
If I can give you an advice, skip steps 3 & 4 and go with the final set directly and don't look back. It'll save you some money.
Since it can take sometimes before your set is produced, you can buy something inexpensive in the meantime (ex : Cards mold if you want full custom or China clays with custom labels if semi-custom is good enough).

Welcome to PCF,

It look like you have a good plan but it take a lot to follow through

Good luck and felt free to ask around if you have enquirers, use the resources and read up the old thread.

It’s at least a good 6 months leisure read, lot of useful information

FYI, my original plan was to get 2 cash set
1 for regular 50/$1 to $1/2 stake &
1 for micro 10/20c stake

And I like to say I an overachiever in that aspects

Hi and welcome.
If I can give you an advice, skip steps 3 & 4 and go with the final set directly and don't look back. It'll save you some money.
Since it can take sometimes before your set is produced, you can buy something inexpensive in the meantime (ex : Cards mold if you want full custom or China clays with custom labels if semi-custom is good enough).

Thank you for your worlds of wisdom. I guess I should have been more clear on steps 3 & 4. I plan on getting ether Tina card molds for my tournament and I’ve been eyeing Apache Poker Chip “Royale’s” for my cash set with custom labels

Welcome.

Cause no one else has said it, “get samples”.

Been Lurking for a couple months now so I’ve seen it countless of times, But thank you! “Get Samples” can never be said to much.

Welcome!!

As far as your home game goes troubles, all you need to do is get 4 “regulars” that enjoy the game (that includes yourself). If you have 4 regulars that’s still a good game and it’s a bonus when you get the occasional 5th or 6th player.

As far as the poker chips……I have been on this site for 15 minutes and have already changed my mind five different times on what I want. Get samples of CPS, older and newer Paulsons. I was originally going to go custom CPS, but after holding newer Paulsons I changed my mind.

Good Luck

Welcome, its a journey; You're going to make mistakes (happy ones), your taste in chips today is not what it will be next year.

My first ceramics I love so many aspects of them, but my second really helped me get to where I wanted to be and helped me in non direct ways when I went to order my CPCs.

I would suggest purchasing a small set of 39 mm custom ceramics or China Clays, between 400 and 600 and get at least 3 games of play on them, give it some time to season.

Got my Cash set already. The 25K are going to be 25¢ and the yellows are going to be $20s. I already got in queue for labels with gear. I think these are going to be prefect for 25¢/50¢ games.
277CB380-D3FE-4DA3-8B3D-3A5A0A29731C.jpeg

Got my Tournament set today I was lucky to find Tina myself and ordered them. I had them change the 100K to 5K but they messed up and didn't change it so they are making them for me now. I didn't know that it was bad manners to buy the Aria's without approval, but I PM Johnny5 and cleared everything up. :)

IMG_2030.jpg

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Welcome! Just one thought.

If the gf doesn’t want you to have a dedicated poker table, and you are limited to a topper on the dining room table, I don’t see much point in building a multitable tournament set.

… unless you ditch this girlfriend and find a new one who will allow you to have five tables going twice a week.

Chipping goals!

Last edited:
Welcome! Just one thought.

If the gf doesn’t want you to have a dedicated poker table, and you are limited to a topper on the dining room table, I don’t see much point in building a multitable tournament set.

… unless you ditch this girlfriend and find a new one who will allow you to have five tables going twice a week.

Chipping goals!
Just thinking future when we get a bigger place or if someone I know wanted to host a bigger tournament. I also just wanted more chips lol

2. Build a poker table topper for my dinner room table (I don't think I can convince my GF to have a dedicated poker table in our apartment ahah)
This guy worked wonders for me. Fits 10 people if you can go a little tight but folds up nice and small to sit in a corner or closet. Not incredible quality overall but I'd definitely call it incredible quality for the price.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01KLJTEEW

If you can wait a few months, set a price alert and you can probably grab for ~$250.

This guy worked wonders for me. Fits 10 people if you can go a little tight but folds up nice and small to sit in a corner or closet. Not incredible quality overall but I'd definitely call it incredible quality for the price.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01KLJTEEW

If you can wait a few months, set a price alert and you can probably grab for ~$250.
I will definitely keep my eye out for that! Thank you!

Hello this is my first official thread on PCF! I'm semi-new to poker meaning I have only played Zynga poker (on/off for years) and less then a handful of home games played. Also very new to this unexpected gigantic world of poker chips :eek: .

My goals are to:
1. Host a Home tournament game running monthly with cash games in-between.
2. Build a poker table topper for my dinner room table (I don't think I can convince my GF to have a dedicated poker table in our apartment ahah).
3. Buy a tournament set big enough for multiple table growth without having to order more.
4. Buy a small semi custom cash set for one table, and lastly
5. Make a custom set of CPC for my "final" chip set.

I already attempted setting up my first home cash game. It didn't go as well as I thought it would. I only gave them a week notice which at the time seemed like plenty of time, But after lurking on here. I see a lot of people try and give their guys a month notice, which I will do next time I plan on setting one up. Also I feel like my player base is really small which is the problem I'm trying to solve at the moment. My non-work buddies have never really played poker before so I'm trying to find a way to get them more interested in poker knowing that. and my work buddies are hard to convince because I live a "far" 15 miles out of town.

Thank you in advance for reading and commenting any advice you have for me as a new pcf member, hopefully monthly host, and Chip collector. :)
6ymk23.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom