My New Drill Press, Assembly (Many Pic's) (1 Viewer)

This was the set up eventual got to work. The biggest challenge turned out getting a non spin surface that didn't depress the chip uneven when securely clamped.

I ended up using one of those rubber grip things you use to open jars. It was like 2 bucks.

IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3287.JPG

This was the set up eventual got to work. The biggest challenge turned out getting a non spin surface that didn't depress the chip uneven when securely clamped.

I ended up using one of those rubber grip things you use to open jars. It was like 2 bucks.

View attachment 104955 View attachment 104959

Great Idea on the rubber jar opener. I might have to give that a try.

Thanks guys, this gives me some ideas to improve on my 1st jig

Here is version 2.0 :D I beefed it up with some scrap quarter round moulding & a mousepad rubber base. Performace is about the same. Got the idea for the jig from @RagsPoker. Love his sets...awesome labels!

View attachment 101446

LOL, the most important feature is in the background on the right.....

Attachments

• 0601172012 (1).jpg
    0601172012 (1).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 295
Has anyone tried something like this to hold a chip for milling?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13XHSJX1OBXY3

My concerns are that the chip will spin or crack since its not on a solid base like the jig solutions above. But for $10, I was thinking about giving it a try, unless others here can warn against it.

Nice little tool. In addition to what you said about not having a solid base, my only other concern would be keeping the chip perfectly level.

Nice little tool. In addition to what you said about not having a solid base, my only other concern would be keeping the chip perfectly level.

Didn't even think about keeping the chip perfectly level. Hmmmm? I still may get it and see? (n) :thumbsdown:

Didn't even think about keeping the chip perfectly level. Hmmmm? I still may get it and see? (n) :thumbsdown:

Go for it! Let me know if it works out. R&D is the fun part. :) What chips are you planning to mill?

It's worth giving a shot. I might get impatient with the screw tightening mechinism. If you can rig the system so as you tighten it, it forces the chip level....

I might buy one.

I snagged a new drill press a few years ago, with the idea of milling my own recesses... unfortunately the drillpress is still in the orig box.. it was one of the beefiest Crafstman units available at the time. Got it for free on rewards points.

Just got one of these today! $80 shipped! :D

Any recommendation for Paulson Roulette mood bits?

I'm assuming your doing it like this? Would love to see detailed pic's of your equipment & process. I'm all for anything to make this process easier.

I'm sure as heck going to try. This will require some experimentation. My circular jig consists of a 2" inner diameter exhaust valve flange which I will need to secure down with bolted machine screws. I've got some metal fender washers that I can use to give myself reasonable assurances that I've centered the the jig correctly over the router bit. I've got enough safety equipment that will make me look like some sort of aquatic Imperial Stormtrooper when I set things up. I'm not sure what I'm going to use to hold the chip, but the current contenders are a vacuum accessory tip like this bloke's using or maybe a Nerf suction dart.

Can anybody else see any obvious huge flaw in my plan that will make this whole enterprise end up in catastrophe? I don't want this to be another Death Star debacle....

In a perfect world, this method would work great. The only issue you might run into using the outer edge of the chip (with a circular jig) to center your newly cut surface is that it could potentially be off center. Not all mold impressions are center within the chip itself. Here is a picture of a THC chip that was made off center. I hope this makes sense...I'm not always the best at explaining things :confused:

chip2.jpg

(Don't worry this chip is not in any danger of being milled. It's just something I had on hand to show as an example.)

This is why I still use the old drill press method. Using a drill press with a simple adjustable jig let's me eyeball the cut area as center as humanly possible. I'm not always perfect, but usually get it close enough.

Last edited:
Nope, I get it, the explanation makes total sense. Let's just say I won't worried enough to that detail because these are going to be roulette chips that probably nobody is going to be inspecting very closely to make sure everything is centered just right. I'm not saying that Philistines will be playing with them, merely the Great Unwashed Masses.

I haven’t seen that approach before. This is the bit I just bought. Roulette molds are a little wider at the diameter I found.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Cleaning-Dado-Router-Bit/dp/B00NAE4XOW?th=1&psc=1

Ethan,
I originally bought that bit (different size), but found that it left the chip surface too convex. I returned it and ordered the "Magnate" brand bit. I found the Magnate brand had a much more square cut resulting in a flatter cut surface to apply your label.

Nope, I get it, the explanation makes total sense. Let's just say I won't worried enough to that detail because these are going to be roulette chips that probably nobody is going to be inspecting very closely to make sure everything is centered just right. I'm not saying that Philistines will be playing with them, merely the Great Unwashed Masses.

:LOL: :laugh: I hear ya! I guess it would matter more where you have the mold really close to the cutting edge. With roulette's you should be good to go!

Ethan,
I originally bought that bit (different size), but found that it left the chip surface too convex. I returned it and ordered the "Magnate" brand bit. I found the Magnate brand had a much more square cut resulting in a flatter cut surface to apply your label.

This is really helpful! Thanks a ton for letting me know. I’ll see if I can find the correct diameter and order that bit too!

You were right. It does not seat the chip level. Drat. Going to see what I can rig up to maybe fix this issue. Any suggestions?

You were right. It does not seat the chip level. Drat. Going to see what I can rig up to maybe fix this issue. Any suggestions?

View attachment 240423

Scrap. Don’t over engineer. :(

Edit: not trying to be an ass. Just seems really hard to make it work. GL, I’m in the middle of figuring out this same thing on my rig!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom