PCA nickels relabel project (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've been building a small set of PCAs and wanted to relabel some quarters to go with it, so I bought some Lucky Derby $3s to use. Then I saw @uclaure had a rack of LD $1s for sale, and I decided to snag them to make some nickels for lunchtime poker (.05/.10) with @justsomedude and our friend Brian. Thanks to @Gear for the labels for both the nickels and the quarters! I decided to start with the nickels first. Last night I milled a couple and worked on getting my jig dialed in with my drill press, getting the hole centered and the right depth. The first chip turned out sub par, but the next two improved. Just 97 more to go! And then the quarters...

PCA nickels.jpg

They look good. Had not thought about adding a nickle to my set, but I am going to have to reconsider now.

I got the sweet faux-shaped inlay quarter labels in the mail from @Gear, so I had to switch up and do a few of those to see how they look! Here's the family together. I think these Lucky Derby chips complement the PCAs well. The orange matches between the nickel and the $1, and the blue matches between the quarter and the $5. I think the edge spot progression is good too. I'm excited to get these all milled and labeled and in play!

IMG_20170630_081853.jpg

Thanks! I realize that the LD $1 probably isn't the ideal chip for the nickel because the colors are so close to the PCA $500 chip. But I'm not sure how often you would have both $0.05 and $500 chips in play at the same time. o_O :LOL: :laugh:

I think these Lucky Derby chips complement the PCAs well.
This is very close to the direction I was leaning with my Empress chips for a long, long time, but I just couldn't bring myself to use those blues as fracs w/that particular set - the color choice didn't seem to quite fit in with the rest of the Empress palette. For PCA primaries, though, i think they're great! Kudos!

Very nice! Can I ask you what brand bit your using? Where you got it?

Very nice! Can I ask you what brand bit your using? Where you got it?
Magnate 2712 Surface Planing ( Bottom Cleaning ) Router Bit - 7/8" Cutting Diameter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093C1XKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_fOQZWYkDDbQ1R

Hopefully the link works... Posting from my phone. It's a really good bit and super flat, so it doesn't make a dished hole. With the run-out from my cheap Harbor Freight drill press it makes a 0.885" diameter recess in the chip according to my Harbor Freight caliper. It does leave a slight gap all the way around the 0.875" diameter label from Gear.

Magnate 2712 Surface Planing ( Bottom Cleaning ) Router Bit - 7/8" Cutting Diameter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093C1XKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_fOQZWYkDDbQ1R

Hopefully the link works... Posting from my phone. It's a really good bit and super flat, so it doesn't make a dished hole. With the run-out from my cheap Harbor Freight drill press it makes a 0.885" diameter recess in the chip according to my Harbor Freight caliper. It does leave a slight gap all the way around the 0.875" diameter label from Gear.

Nice choice...I use that exact same bit. I sent a milled chip to Chris so he could dial in the label to fit the bit & run out as best he can. Should have close to 800+ labels coming my way soon. Can't wait! :D

I made a little video if you want to see my process and my goofy jig with a bike clamp. Sorry it didn't focus on the chip very well at the end, but you get the idea.

This is what happens when you get an engineer involved with a chip project. :p

NICE WORK BEN!!! (y) :thumbsup::sneaky::cool:

I'll buy your jig when you're done....

Now I want to buy a drill press.
Mine is just a cheap one from Harbor Freight. I think I paid $55 for it with a coupon. I originally bought it last year when I was building my deck to drill holes through all the posts to run a cable rail through. That turned out great with a jig to mark the holes but took a long time. I think it was 13 holes per post, almost 40 posts, and the small press didn't have enough travel to drill all the way through in one go, so I had to drill from both sides and try to meet in the middle. And now it's coming in handy for poker chips!

I'll buy your jig when you're done....
It's really nothing special. Just some scrap wood, a hinge, two little angle brackets I had laying around, and a bike clamp. I drilled a hole in a board about the same diameter as a chip with a hole saw and then cut it in half to make the hinged jig.

A few notes on the jig that might not be noticeable from the video:
- The near side of the jig is bolted to the plywood base, and the far side just swings free on the hinge. It wanted to rock upwards when I tightened the clamp, so I screwed those other blocks on top of it to keep it from lifting but still let it slide.
- The bike clamp is there just to squeeze the jig together and keep the chip from spinning. A few times I've forgotten to tighten it though, and the chip still stayed put.
- See the black tape sticking out from under the near side of the jig pieces? I put down hockey grip tape on the base to help grab the chip and prevent spinning. It worked well.
- I tried to level the drill press platform as best I could, but it still wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the bit, so I was getting holes that were slightly shallower on one side. I added a little piece of the grip tape under the chip on the low side, and that flattened it out perfectly.
- I experimented with different speeds on the drill press and settled on the lowest speed. It seems to generate less runout and keeps the holes tighter.
- The depth stop on this drill press sucks because it's on one side and makes the bit tip to one side when it hits the stop, messing up the hole. I just eyeball the depth of every mill. When the hot stamp is gone that's about perfect for these chips.
- In the video I go slow with light pressure, and the bit tends to skip a little bit like this, but it still works fine. If I make a quick plunge with medium pressure it goes smoother, but then the clay comes out in one long ribbon, spins around, and totally obscures my view of the hot stamp, so it's hard to see when I've gone deep enough.
- Edit: another thing you can't see is that I drilled a recess in the base at the front edge of the chip so that I could slide my thumb under the chip and pry it up.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom