My New Drill Press, Assembly (Many Pic's) (3 Viewers)

Scrap. Don’t over engineer. :(

Edit: not trying to be an ass. Just seems really hard to make it work. GL, I’m in the middle of figuring out this same thing on my rig!
No worries. Just a shame it is not level. Would have been a sweet, easy solution. Would love to see what you come up with.

You were right. It does not seat the chip level. Drat. Going to see what I can rig up to maybe fix this issue. Any suggestions?

View attachment 240423

That sux it didn't work out. :( I like my simple jig. I also use a pocket level when initially setting it up. If it were me, I'd want something to hard and flat below the chip. That way I'd know the chip wouldn't move or flex under the pressure of the press.

Last edited:
That sux it didn't work out. :( I like my simple jig. I also use a pocket level when initially setting it up. If it were me, I'd want something to hard and flat below the chip. That way I'd know the chip wouldn't move or flex under the pressure of the press.
Going to try and change the orange 'pins' to to just posts and then put a small block of wood under the chip. That way the chip should sit level, be supported and the post should hold it so it won't spin. We'll see.

Well after a trip to home depot I came up with this. I replaced those curved orange spacers with some straight ones and I put a small block of wood below the chip for support and level. How's it look?

So I did a thing and followed your lead, @arch3r ! Thanks a ton for the great idea.

That block underneath is my next step. The left side of the vice bows up when tightened without it.

Back with a question: How deep do you mill when dealing with mint hotstamps?

Also, a question that @Gear is probably best equipped to handle but how thick are the various label options that one can purchase from Gear?

Back with a question: How deep do you mill when dealing with mint hotstamps?
That's what I'm kinda struggling with. I only want to go a few mm deep. Just enough that when I apply a label, it's just below the top of the chip as not to cause spinners. I've sacrificed a few chips now trying to get everything lined up just right.

That's what I'm kinda struggling with. I only want to go a few mm deep. Just enough that when I apply a label, it's just below the top of the chip as not to cause spinners. I've sacrificed a few chips now trying to get everything lined up just right.

Exactly the same issue I'm facing! I have a lead on someone who has a CNC machine and is willing to work with me on getting some of these chips milled. However, he has zero experience with poker chips and if I can't give him exact measurements, this isn't gonna work.

From reading and eyeballing stuff, it appears that 1 - 1.5mm is the sweet spot which is why I would love a sample set of Gear's labels or atleast very accurate measurements from people who have those labels - both laminated and unlaminated varieties. Considering how often we use @Gear 's services, this should be stickied!

1.5mm would be a very thick label. I’d be surprised if they are much more than .5mm

Ah sorry, I should've been clearer. Meant to say the 1mm - 1.5mm would be the sweet spot for the depth of the milling to remove the hotstamps. Of course, I might be wrong as I have not sacrificed any chips... yet.

Math was never my strong suit but would this mean ~0.6mm of milling? Add ~.3 mm of label to that and you'd end up with the ~0.3mm depth of the PCAs.

Last edited:
Millable area on my THCs is just shy of 1".

So I want to mill 15/16th or 31/32nds and use a 7/8" label. But I don't know how precise I'm going to get with a drill press and my jig.

I'm looking into maybe getting this CNC machine.

Damn the imperial system. Had to Google that to get the mm measurements.

You're gonna have a fun time aligning those labels in the centre of the recess. I hope you're not particular about this kinda stuff like I am cos any misalignment would drive me insane.

Does anybody mill off inlays instead of doing the manual removal method? Seems more efficient if the outcome is the same.

Does anybody mill off inlays instead of doing the manual removal method? Seems more efficient if the outcome is the same.

Some discussion of this was done before. We recommend against it. Adhesive from under the inlay will make a mess and clog up your mill. And it will burn and probably stink, too. You don't need that in your life, man.

This is why painstaking inlay removal is a thing. The original recess in the chip will be perfect for a fully laminated/textured label of the appropriate size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom