My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (32 Viewers)

I've had to unsubscribe from Andrew, Brad, and even my favourite Jaman as their channels were just plastered with ClubWPT shit now.

Prior to that though, I was thrilled that Brad moved up in stakes and was showing bigger and bigger games he's playing in.

But sadly because of that, in the same vein of an indie band "selling out" or making it big, the vlogs lost their appeal to me. Knowing that you're just another sponsored mouthpiece for a gaming site eliminates all investment I have as a viewer of whether you do well or not in a session.
It's not just them as I'm seeing it across most of the bigger youtube vloggers as well. Rampage, Mariano, and wolfgang poker also have lots of various ad/sponsor promotions in their videos. Luckily it's usually in the beginning so you can just fast forward past that stuff.

Had to settle for 2nd last night in the PLO at The Lodge Card Club

Here's me looking sad next to the winner who won $1,100 more than me

received_844351786688479.jpeg

I think you should shout something funny, but it would ideally be something self deprecating and not directed at the dealer.

Aka “The deck hates short people”. Or “live poker is rigged”. Or “even the bad beats are bigger in Texas”. Someone funnier than me can come up one.

Short jokes are good because height is not a protected class, so you you are allowed to discriminate. As I frequently like to remind HR when I slip minimum hight requirements into job descriptions.

It's not just them as I'm seeing it across most of the bigger youtube vloggers as well. Rampage, Mariano, and wolfgang poker also have lots of various ad/sponsor promotions in their videos. Luckily it's usually in the beginning so you can just fast forward past that stuff.

All well and good that you can skip past their ad plugs and such, but the vlogs just lose that authenticity / everyman feel when it's already seeped into their individual branding. There's no sympathy / drama when I see Andrew or Brad get sucked out on the river in a big pot prior to them buying a stake in the Lodge and getting their sponsorship deals, and now.

"We end the session down $4,000." has no impact on me when you've got millions now in the bank as opposed to when that would be a few percent of their entire bankroll. Do I begrudge them for cashing in and getting even more exposure and views? Of course not, money talks the loudest. Just time to move on from their content as it's diverged from their original premise.

I think you should shout something funny, but it would ideally be something self deprecating and not directed at the dealer.

Aka “The deck hates short people”. Or “live poker is rigged”. Or “even the bad beats are bigger in Texas”. Someone funnier than me can come up one.

Short jokes are good because height is not a protected class, so you you are allowed to discriminate. As I frequently like to remind HR when I slip minimum hight requirements into job descriptions.

I've had dealers shout SUCKA PLAYAH! before

But in all seriousness, the shouting thing is polarizing, some really enjoy it, others abhor it

At the end of the day I want to be entertaining, not annoying.

I've had to unsubscribe from Andrew, Brad, and even my favourite Jaman as their channels were just plastered with ClubWPT shit now.

Prior to that though, I was thrilled that Brad moved up in stakes and was showing bigger and bigger games he's playing in.

But sadly because of that, in the same vein of an indie band "selling out" or making it big, the vlogs lost their appeal to me. Knowing that you're just another sponsored mouthpiece for a gaming site eliminates all investment I have as a viewer of whether you do well or not in a session.
I never did get into Jaman's editing style. It's like he's trying too hard with the comic book visuals, the breaks in between to show an ad-lib cartoon or break down the meaning of a word he just learned. It's too jarring.

I never did get into Jaman's editing style. It's like he's trying too hard with the comic book visuals, the breaks in between to show an ad-lib cartoon or break down the meaning of a word he just learned. It's too jarring.

It did make his style unique, but I can understand how he wouldn't appeal to everyone. I did like his mid-session update spots, those gave the vlogs a nice "intermission" from the action for the viewers.

I really like his visuals and think Jaman is one of the best in the biz with his slick editing

Although the word meanings I could take or leave

You asked for it, I delivered. Here's four RAW, unedited clips from this past weekend playing PLO at @LodgePokerClub where I finally lose my shit!

wow, you really did channel your inner hellmuth for a minute there, huh? one dude even got up and left. you can almost hear him muttering "this game is supposed to be fun" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Love the show, apart from PLO and solid commentary you have great "radio voice"...
Just one complaint... Please consider wearing long sleeves...

Yeah, the problem I face at the lodge is the rails on the tables don't lift up, so I can't slide the anchor of my phone cradle under it

Thus I'm forced to put it on top of the rail, which makes for a less pleasant viewing angle

I do try to be aware of my arms in the shots as best I can, but sometimes slip up

First I want to acknowledge all the work you do to put these together. You are investing the hours to build your brand, and I respect that. My thoughts are solely intended to give my perspective in the small chance it might be of some use. It’s just my $0.02 and you’ve got my number if you want to talk or vent!

I unfortunately find I am not enjoying your latest videos. I struggle to understand what your brand represents and more significantly whether I get enough enjoyment watching to invest any more of my time. In many of these recent vlogs, I’m turned off by the amount of disparaging commentary I hear. Hellmuth already owns the schtick where all opponents are idiots, all luck is bad luck, and everyone at the table is out to get you. As your opponent commented: “this isn’t fun”. That comment really resonated with me, and I hope it is impactful to you as well. How did that comment make you feel as an entertainer? Your frustration comes across as whining, and I’m no longer rooting for the affable guy just trying to feed his cats and support his wife’s $1k a month Hello Kitty addiction. That’s a guy I may root for. Is your brand being “not fun”, insulting other players, and incessantly complaining about losses? I’m glad the “yelling” is being seen as a problem that needs solving, and represents an intention to be better. I strongly suggest you write down what your brand is and change all behaviors that are not aligned with your message. I think it’s an important step that might have been missed. I’m more than happy to talk and give you my time if you would like some help, just reach out.

Keep grinding away and know that I’m rooting for you! It is my hope that you may find something of use rattling around my head. If not, that’s ok too. Hang in there my friend.

Last edited:
First I want to acknowledge all the work you do to put these together. You are putting in the hours to build your brand, and I respect that. My thoughts are solely intended to give my perspective in the small chance it might be of some use. It’s just my $0.02 and you’ve got my number if you want to talk or vent!

I unfortunately find I am not enjoying your latest videos. I struggle to understand what your brand represents and more significantly whether I get enough enjoyment watching to invest any more of my time. In many of these recent vlogs, I’m turned off by the amount of disparaging commentary I hear. Hellmuth already owns the schtick where all opponents are idiots, all luck is bad luck, and everyone at the table is out to get you. As your opponent commented “this isn’t fun”. That comment really resonated with me, and I hope it is impactful to you as well. How did that comment make you feel as an entertainer? Your frustration comes across as whining, and I’m no longer interested in rooting for the affable guy just trying to feed his cats and support his wife’s $1k a month Hello Kitty addiction. Is your brand being “not fun”, insulting to other players, and incessantly complaining about losses? I’m glad the “yelling” is being seen as a problem that needs solving, and represents an intention to be better. I strongly suggest you write down what your brand is and change all behaviors that are not aligned with your message. I think it’s an important step that might have been missed. I’m more than happy to talk and give you my time if you would like some help, just reach out.

Keep grinding away and know that I’m rooting for you! It is my hope that you may find something of use rattling around my head. If not, that’s ok too. Hang in there my friend.

Thanks Forest, I agree. I don't want to be annoying or obnoxious at the tables, and moving forward I'll be adjusting my antics accordingly

I can't change the past, just try to be better in the future

Yep, be funny, not whiney. We all know losing sucks but we want a hero to root for not a mis reg complaining about bad beats. Not saying that's what you are but I think that what most viewers look for.

Only possible exception that has been successful is DGAF’s podcast which is a five year long bad beat story with a hero you can't help but like because he's authentic even though he has been beating the variance horse to death for literally year's.

That guy picking his nose at the table and looking at the nugget was pretty gross.
People can poo-poo COVID masks all they want, but at least card rooms were a little less gross back then.
poker players are filthy animals
I think we call the stuff on poker chips hooker juice, because that's less disgusting than reality.

People can poo-poo COVID masks all they want, but at least card rooms were a little less gross back then.

I think we call the stuff on poker chips hooker juice, because that's less disgusting than reality.

While I'm not a fan of the ceramics used at the Lodge, one of the benefits unlike Paulsons is they don't collect a bunch of the grime and filth that winds up getting under your fingernails, as there's no grooves for the stuff to get caught in.

While I'm not a fan of the ceramics used at the Lodge, one of the benefits unlike Paulsons is they don't collect a bunch of the grime and filth that winds up getting under your fingernails, as there's no grooves for the stuff to get caught in.
The new 25s and 100s seem more smooth. Not sure if the composition is different than the old ones or if they just need time to get worn in.

E78A50F1-F55C-4AE7-B32D-37FA08DA9178.jpeg

The new 25s and 100s seem more smooth. Not sure if the composition is different than the old ones or if they just need time to get worn in.

View attachment 1039722

I've played with the new chips as well, but they won't show up in my vlog for probably a month and a half or more since I'm still working my way through content from Octobers sessions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom