My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (55 Viewers)

My mistake I just seen you post some hand vs hand %. I kinda gave up trying to figure it out. Its just a overall bad play imo. Anytime you jam hoping u get multiple callers and artificially inflating equity and then using that to justify a play is non sense

I jammed figuring I had fold equity and might get some dead money in the pot

And if I get a bunch of callers I'm on a minbuy and my equity should be fine pre

I posted my hand against premiums to show how close equities run, even when someone has my suits covered

I jammed figuring I had fold equity and might get some dead money in the pot

And if I get a bunch of callers I'm on a minbuy and my equity should be fine pre

I posted my hand against premiums to show how close equities run, even when someone has my suits covered
Its just a dumb play. If you told me you did it for sh!ts and giggles etc then whatever but if you actually believe what you did was smart, right or somehow correct thats a major leak. Its cash game not a tournament where blinds are rising etc. In these games most people play terrible as you demonstrated above and in these games it pays off to play abc.

Its just a dumb play. If you told me you did it for sh!ts and giggles etc then whatever but if you actually believe what you did was smart, right or somehow correct thats a major leak. Its cash game not a tournament where blinds are rising etc. In these games most people play terrible as you demonstrated above and in these games it pays off to play abc.

I've shown various hand matchups, equities, etc.

For you to call it a "major leak" after all that makes you look like you don't play much PLO or understand it very well

Double suited rundowns are fine hands to get it in with short-stacked.

Do I prefer to keep pots small and play post-flop poker more? Of course, and I can do that in the 1k max buyin 2/2/5 PLO game

But my daily limit is 3k, so it's hard to max buy the 5/5/10 PLO for 2500

Read Rolf Slotbooms book on PLO, he explains his short-stacking strat very well

I've shown various hand matchups, equities, etc.

For you to call it a "major leak" after all that makes you look like you don't play much PLO or understand it very well

Double suited rundowns are fine hands to get it in with short-stacked.

Do I prefer to keep pots small and play post-flop poker more? Of course, and I can do that in the 1k max buyin 2/2/5 PLO game

But my daily limit is 3k, so it's hard to max buy the 5/5/10 PLO for 2500

Read Rolf Slotbooms book on PLO, he explains his short-stacking strat very well
I play enough. Im not an expert by any means and playing short stacked is not the best choice in any game. Shut it down for the day if you are at your limit. Why give the rest away? If the game is good you should be In for the maximum. Playing short stacked in cash makes 0 sense. Putting yourself in a bad spot. I also do apologize im not trying to make this personal or to cut you down im sure your a good player and thats the part that probably got me going the most. Just on game level we obviously have different opinions

Firstly, let's give Anthony huge credit for having enough guts to quit his job and try to earn a living playing poker.

Secondly, let's give him almost as much credit-- and thanks -- for posting his running experience here, for those of us with substantially less guts -- or less financial freedom -- to vicariously enjoy and learn from.

Thirdly, let's give anonymous chickenshit mf'ers who show up and talk shit with no apparent interest in PCF except for harassing him no credit at all.

Pass the Ardbeg, please... :cool/2

I play enough. Im not an expert by any means and playing short stacked is not the best choice in any game. Shut it down for the day if you are at your limit. Why give the rest away? If the game is good you should be In for the maximum. Playing short stacked in cash makes 0 sense. Putting yourself in a bad spot. I also do apologize im not trying to make this personal or to cut you down im sure your a good player and thats the part that probably got me going the most. Just on game level we obviously have different opinions

This thread is getting good.

1625965631915.png

Unlike plonewbie12345 I believe you are being sincere, he's just here to troll.

Here's another example where another player has a double-suited rundown. I'm still not in terrible shape.

equity.png

I don't want to get into these spots for deepstacks, but on min buyin stacks where I'm the one pushing the action preflop and putting my opponents to the decision to call my limp-shove, there IS fold equity.

90% of the time I make that move my opponents are expecting me to showup with AAxx, sometimes KKxx or strong broadway suited or double suited rundowns, because I play with these guys every week.

That the deepstacked pro called off with QQ55 in this spot when usually that hand is going to be in huge trouble against my expected range just shows how profitable the games can be.

If you haven't read Rolf Slotbooms book on PLO, he explains the short stacking strategy really well. In games where your opponents are overly aggressive and deeper-stacked (which is typical of the 5/5/10 and above) you can do very well buying in for the minimum and getting it in. You can never be bluffed off your equity and you can 3-5x your stack while sometimes only having to beat 1-2 hands at showdown.

You handcuff the bigger stacks who then have to play this bloated pot against one another with chips still to wager. Again, it's not ideal as I do prefer to be able to max buyin and play post-flop poker.

But at the end of the day, this is a strat that worked for Slotboom in games to make really good money, and it's worked for me as well. Of course, your opponents get to realize their equity too as once you're all-in that's that. So your swings up and down can be more pronounced with this style.

As far as the game being good and buying in for the maximum, this game had a few strong pros in it, some gamblers and some shorter stacked players like myself. I took the seat because there was a 14-deep list for the 2/2/5 PLO and they only had one table of that running because many of the rooms dealers were tied up for a tournament being run, so it was going to be a few hours of me sitting around waiting for a 2nd 2/2/5 game to run before I could play, and I'm not a fan of sitting around and making no money for hours.

Firstly, let's give Anthony huge credit for having enough guts to quit his job and SUCCEED IN EARNING a living playing poker.

Secondly, let's give him almost as much credit-- and thanks -- for posting his running experience here, for those of us with substantially less guts -- or less financial freedom -- to vicariously enjoy and learn from.

Thirdly, let's give anonymous chickenshit mf'ers who show up and talk shit with no apparent interest in PCF except for harassing him no credit at all.

FYP

Firstly, let's give Anthony huge credit for having enough guts to quit his job and try to earn a living playing poker.

Hear, Hear to the first two. However, I disagree with your final statement. Some of these questions are valid and demonstrate that there is more than one approach to playing PLO.

Anthony is doing a good job fielding the questions. This is the liveliest thread I have seen since the movers and the shakers hustlers and the grifters took this forum over and turned it into a 24/7 marketplace. (FMOP)

Last edited:

He posted a hand.
Here, Here to the first two. However, I disagree with your final statement. Some of these questions are valid and demonstrate that there is more than one approach to playing PLO.

Anthony is doing a good job fielding the questions. This is the liveliest thread I have seen since the movers and the shakers took this forum over and turned it into a 24/7 marketplace.
100%

I think pltrgyst is referring to plonewbie12345 here with his last comment, as that guy is just salty, miserable and looking to troll

Zr1 I believe is here asking the hard hitting questions and is legit, not just breaking my balls

I play enough. Im not an expert by any means and playing short stacked is not the best choice in any game. Shut it down for the day if you are at your limit. Why give the rest away? If the game is good you should be In for the maximum.

Just to address this a bit further. My daily limit is 3k. I don't care how good the game is, that's my pain threshold. If I lose that I'm done, no trips to the ATM, no borrowing from friends, etc.

It's hard to justify max buying for $2500 in the 5/5/10 because of this.

Also, it used to be a 2/5 with $10 rock, no additional straddles and buyins were $200-2K

It's now a 5/5 with $10 rock AND unlimited restraddles with buyins of $500-$2500

So these guys straddling to $20 or $40 makes it even harder to max buy with my daily limit, thus making the $500 minbuy more attractive. I have 6 bullets to fire instead of one

I'm also not the type of player who has to lose every last dollar in my pocket. If I'm not feeling it, I'll take it in early

Sometimes the 2/2/5 is a nitfest with no action, and all the gamblers are in the higher stakes game (sometimes it's the opposite)

I'll play whatever game I feel will be most profitable for me, and I adjust my buyins and strategy based on the limits, stacks and opponents

Todays 5/5/10 was an abnormal one, with multiple shorter buyins on the table when usually most everyone is deeper-stacked (there were 4 sjorties and 4 deepstacked)

Last edited:
@Anthony Martino maybe all the shitposting from the haters will inspire you to abandon this PLO madness and join me in the sweet sweet world of no limit hold'em where you can bask in the glory of folding every single hand for 7 hours straight and walking away with a nice little $300 profit every day ;)

I’m not an enemy. I want you in the games as long as possible. I’m learning so much from your threads

Show me on the doll where the dealer hurt you

@Anthony Martino maybe all the shitposting from the haters will inspire you to abandon this PLO madness and join me in the sweet sweet world of no limit hold'em where you can bask in the glory of folding every single hand for 7 hours straight and walking away with a nice little $300 profit every day ;)

I can fold for 4 hours straight max. $300/day ain't nothing to sneeze at, better than most.

Just want to be clear im not a hater. Dont know him. Just have a different view. Im open to his and other peoples ways. The more hes explaining it the more i get where he is coming from and the theory etc. PLO is already a high variance game i just dont see why we would want to inflate variance.

Buddy. Why are you talking in a way that conveys you have the foggiest clue about poker. Just let these guys keep thinking this way. It’s great for the game. Oh

Just want to be clear im not a hater. Dont know him. Just have a different view. Im open to his and other peoples ways. The more hes explaining it the more i get where he is coming from and the theory etc. PLO is already a high variance game i just dont see why we would want to inflate variance.
Obv because when we GII 5 ways we have 27.8 v 26.5 and 22.6 and 29.4. What a sick edge

Because against an aggressive group of players who are deeper-stacked you can get your stack in preflop and not face any difficult decisions, always realize your equity and get a chance to 3-5x your stack while only having to beat a hand or two at showdown because the larger stacks may bet other stacks off the hand post-flop.

Now you have that dead money in there while only needing to beat a hand or two instead of five. That didn't happen in this particular instance, but it's a sound strategy in games where either:

1. You don't have the roll to play it fully stacked
2. Your opponents are more aggressive, have deeper pockets or have a greater level of skill than you

Yes there's a variance issue to consider, but at the same time it is offset by the possibility of 3-5x'ing your stack while having decisions that are pretty easy to make given your shallow stack depth.

Obv because when we GII 5 ways we have 27.8 v 26.5 and 22.6 and 29.4. What a sick edge

I didn't "get it in five ways". I was the guy shoving preflop and putting the decision on the other players. I didn't "call off" with an 8-high double suited rundown after four other guys were all-in, I was the first all-in. But keep trying to twist it to fit your narrative

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom