Murder vs No Murder & Why (1 Viewer)

not sure I understand crosshatching on the edge, I've seen tool lines that do wear down with age, yet still have a sharp edge
You never noticed that new/mint/uncirculated chips have crosshatching on the face of the chips??

Also that crosshatching generally wears away long before a chip won't stand on edge?

Don't get me wrong, I am not encouraging or even saying that edge reconditioning is a desirable thing. Actually, the whole edge reconditioning has nothing to do with the OP so whatever....

My point is only that just like most murder/relabel is not fooling anyone and is also not meant to fool anyone neither would edge reconditioning fool someone into thinking they were buying a new/uncirculated chip

Reactions: ovo
Inlay replacement is better.
Hmm….
B70A3CFE-B316-4F99-B74B-9A0CB9B93F35.jpeg

9E51730C-C3E8-4401-927A-4F8A2794BE55.jpeg

Interesting, talking about creating counterfeit label to look real in the collecting community, changing the quality of the chip to make it look better. Milling, restamping, now we have shaving off the edges, no disrespect to RivieraDanny as the service is very interesting, or any other vendors providing milling or labels, but how do the collectors feel ? Now we can take a rounded chip, sharpen up the edges, from 39mm to 38mm, and the buyer would never know until they get it in their hands.
This is an interesting question regarding edge milling as it relates to singles collecting.

I am a big supporter of Danny’s edging service for bringing old, and for many, undesirable bike tires back to life - as it relates to sets. I think it’s great and offers a whole new dimension and set of possibilities for creating playable sets. (That otherwise would not be available). For folks that weren’t around for the good ‘ole days and don’t want to, or can’t pay $10+/chip to create a playable set - this is a fantastic option! It makes owning a TRK set much more accessible. Hell ya, sign me up for some of that please - lol!

I can’t really speak to singles collecting, as I am not a singles collector at all. But, I do think the edges not matching the condition of the rest of the chip might look a bit “Wonky” to the collector. Seems it would have be an intentional act to deceive - at least in the singles world..

Is there a standard grading system for singles and can valuable chips be appraised, etc (I really don’t know, so serious question- lol)?

Interesting, talking about creating counterfeit label to look real in the collecting community, changing the quality of the chip to make it look better. Milling, restamping, now we have shaving off the edges, no disrespect to RivieraDanny as the service is very interesting, or any other vendors providing milling or labels, but how do the collectors feel ? Now we can take a rounded chip, sharpen up the edges, from 39mm to 38mm, and the buyer would never know until they get it in their hands.
I am now of mixed minds about edge sharpening. I love that it is an option, but at the same time, I strongly suspect a re-sharpened edge would not pair up in stacks with less worn edges.

I suspect if edge reconditioning really starts to take off, you’ll start to see chip diameters in ads to show if they have or have not been reconditioned.
Or at least a savvy buyer will not just look at the edges, but ask the seller for a caliper reading of the diameters before buying.

One of my biggest regrets is selling my karl’s chips to someone who murdered them.
My second biggest regret is seeing them relabeled and thinking damn those look great.
To be fair, I didn't murder them. A case may be made that I planted the seed and it was a long term "straw purchase" where the chips ended up in the hands of murderers.

I couldn't do it myself, but damn, they do look good.

I suspect if edge reconditioning really starts to take off, you’ll start to see chip diameters in ads to show if they have or have not been reconditioned.
Or at least a savvy buyer will not just look at the edges, but ask the seller for a caliper reading of the diameters before buying.

The majestic stars will be perfect for those looking to try it out.

Just a matter of time before people figure out how to do it efficiently.

Not really against murder. Props for those with the determination/patience to murder hundreds/thousands of chips and relabel.

Personally, I'm just way way too lazy to put in all the effort.

I can barely even muster the effort to oil chips (using the water dip method). Bought an ultrasonic a while back and I found that to even be a pain in the ass to use (plus it scares the bejesus out of my dog).

Do what makes you happy with your chips, just be sure before you go full on inlay replacement. It's a lot of effort/cost and you do diminish the population of that chip. As long as you don't go another route later, it's the same as someone buying a set and never selling them.

Personally, if I need to change the inlay, I prefer a full inlay replacement because to me it just looks and feels better.

Who manufactures inlay replacements or offers this service?
@Gear is the best. He can print smooth labels to stick over old inlays or textured labels to replace inlays that have been removed. And he’ll remove them for you, if that’s what you want. And he’s probably color-matched every chip you can imagine.

@Josh Kifer will mill your chips too. And apparently he can do hot stamps now, which if a pretty freaking rare service.

Other than that, there are other guys here too that offer services, you can probably find them if you use the search function. And you can undoubtedly use other companies to print labels, or even print them yourself. It just comes down to whether you want to save some money and get it done quickly, or deal with guys who know exactly what they’re doing.
And don’t attach any judgement to any of that. Everybody had their own priorities, but once the cards are flying, the aesthetic details tend to fade.

Thanks for the information! I am slowly reading through the posts on this site. I was curious about why one would do this and what the finished product would look like. After searching around, I found many examples. This website is an excellent resource!

Has anyone murdered, milled, then hot stamped? I imagine it wouldn't look too good, but maybe with a very small mill? @Josh Kifer @Nanook
I wouldn't advise it. The surface created by milling would be a different texture with basically no texture (smooth) and then un-milled area would still have the crosshatching etc. It's going to look goofy.

Question:

Who was the first murderer here?

I was murdering some chips yesterday, and I started to wonder who was the first person to remove multiple inlays—not out of curiousity, but specifically to rebrand the chips with new labels.

I assume that a few people had removed inlays before just to see what a naked chip looked like, as opposed to planning to do inlay replacements... Same as people snapping chips to see the insides, etc. (Were the former known as Chip Peeping Toms? And the latter Chip Disembowlers?)

It seems like kind of a chicken-and-egg situation, in that you needed to have a firm like @Gear to make new inlays. Why murder a rack if you have nothing to put in their place?

But then why would anyone produce replacement inlays before people were murdering chips? Or did overlabeling precede murder?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom