Murder vs No Murder & Why (1 Viewer)

Nice! Where were you getting labels at that point? Or did you start printing your own right away?
There weren't a lot of label options around, which is why I started printing my own.

P.S. Were people removing inlays (as opposed to hotstamps) before that?
Not that I'm aware of, no.

There weren't a lot of label options around, which is why I started printing my own.
Not that I'm aware of, no.
Back then people were over-labeling and sometimes murdering, but as @Gear said the label options were very poor. People were making their own labels on their home printer with a paper label with some adhesive on it and applying them to cheap chips. Usually it was with a cheapo inkjet printer that produced labels that were atrocious. They would melt with a drop of water and would get damaged almost immediately with any use at all.

With such poor labels lots of us decided to just pass on it and do something else

I did my first overlay in the mid 2000s. I was still working with film for photographs (digital wasn't even close to film at the time). I didn't spend money taking pics of chips, so I can't say exactly what year. Pre-2009 for certain.

Like @Nanook points out, they were inkjet printed, and cut to size with scissors. The set only comes out on special occasions now, but they were my only set from 2005-2015. They have held up, despite being paper labels.
1696878383945.png

Not great, and more effort than I would like, but they got the job done. Once @Gear's operations went live, I never looked back.

Question:

Who was the first murderer here?

I was murdering some chips yesterday, and I started to wonder who was the first person to remove multiple inlays—not out of curiousity, but specifically to rebrand the chips with new labels.

I assume that a few people had removed inlays before just to see what a naked chip looked like, as opposed to planning to do inlay replacements... Same as people snapping chips to see the insides, etc. (Were the former known as Chip Peeping Toms? And the latter Chip Disembowlers?)

It seems like kind of a chicken-and-egg situation, in that you needed to have a firm like @Gear to make new inlays. Why murder a rack if you have nothing to put in their place?

But then why would anyone produce replacement inlays before people were murdering chips? Or did overlabeling precede murder?
who was it on chiptalk that took the Tropicana Express dollar and made it a 1k chip ?? That was one of the first to stick in my mind.

who was it on chiptalk that took the Tropicana Express dollar and made it a 1k chip ?? That was one of the first to stick in my mind.
Got these relabeled (not murdered) Trop Express back in the CT days.. they do make a nice $1k :cool
not sure who first did an actual inlay removal/replacement
1696969637320.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom