Tourney Multi-Table Deep Stack. (1 Viewer)

TomC727

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I am hosting a multi-table deepstack tournament in a couple weeks (100k in chips).

No rebuys. $200 Entry. Looking at between 20-30 players. Currently early estimates are at 20 as of now.

Per the poker soup calculator, I have set the tournament at 7hrs with 20 minute blinds, T25 for starting chips. Starting stack - 8 - 25, 13 - 100, 11 - 500, 8 - 1000, 7 - 5000, 2 - 25k

Will have a solid spread of food and drink (Tacos, chips, salsa, guac, desserts), and a nice selection of adult beverages.

Any advice. I've hosted tourneys before, nut no bigger than 16 players. One question would be, how many spots should pay? Currently, I have 2 large ovals that will hold 11, and a round that holds 8. As of now, I plan on 3 tables of 8 (24 players). If it goes over 24, I will probable stagger 10, 10, and 8 and more than that, bust on my back up tables with toppers. I would prefer not to put 11 at the 2 big tables.

If you end up having 30 players I’d say maybe you let 6 players cash w/ 6th place only getting their buy in back

If you end up having 30 players I’d say maybe you let 6 players cash w/ 6th place only getting their buy in back
For some reason, not sure why, I initially had 7 in mind, with 7th getting money back.

I think if you’re going by the book, it might even be only 5 that are supposed to get paid but obviously it’s your tourney so whatever works for you. It’s hard to make final 7 in a 30 man field so I don’t think that’s bad. Just depends if you’re okay with other payouts not being as juicy as they could be otherwise lol

Way too big of starting stacks. Try a T100 tournament with 50k starting stack, it’s a much better structure.
I think paying 6 players for 24 and 7 players for 25-28 players is good.

I usually try to pay out the top 25%. I threw this together quick, I don't know it it'll help you but it might. Looks like top 6 might be the sweet spot. I'd round it to the nearest $5 or $10 to make things easier.
Capture2.JPG

A little flatter pay out format could get you to top 7
Capture3.JPG

Or go top heavy and pay out 4. I think that's to few.
Capture2.JPG

I hope my quick sheets are somewhat easy to understand.

Excuse the brevity of my post. It is late and I am tired.

Cap the number of players at 26.

T25 base, 100K starting stacks ending in seven hours? I am fairly confident that the blind structure can be improved upon.

It seems like you have lots of $100 chips so I also recommend getting rid of the 25’s and just adding 2 more 100’s to each stack

I sometimes run a T100 base deepstack with 100,000 starting stacks. A 6 or 7 player game usually lasts about 4 hours. Your estimate of 7 hours for 20+ players sounds low.

10 T100
6 T500
11 T1000
7 T5000
2 T25000

What’s the blind structure your calculator gives you with T25 vs T100?
Small blinds 100-700 on the first 7 rounds then jumping to 1000.

T25 - Small blinds start and progress - 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 200, 275 for first 7 rounds then jump to 400.

In terms of T25 or T100, The T25 starting stack have slower blind increments,

Cut level 5, make the jump from a small blind of 600 to 800, cut level 13, make the level 14 small blind 8000 instead of 7000, you see where I'm going here...

Part of me likes the T100 structure and staying under 40 total starting chips, and another part of me wants the T25 to get all the denominations into the tournament (New set).

I totally get wanting to get all your chips in the game I just think for a $100k deep stack this isn’t the game. Lol. If you’re doing 10k-30k start stacks I’d use the 25’s

This is the reason why I actually got rid of my 25’s for my tourney set bc if I wanted to get a bunch of 5ks in the game the start stacks needed to be bigger thus eliminating the need for the 25’s.

My opinion a
T25 structure 5ks will be your biggest chip
T100 you can now introduce 25k chips.

At the end of the day whatever you decide will work bc the calculator should make the tournament end when you want it to. More importantly it’s awesome that you can get 25 friends over for a 7 hour tournament. Lol

Last edited:
This works but I like 15 - 100’s bc of levels 2&4 having blinds of 400. You will most likely have to make lots of change when players have to put 4 blacks out there
After looking at it more in detail, absolutely right. I was trying to keep total chip count at 40 for ease of rack use, but 41 with 100-15 makes the most sense.

Thoughts on 10, 8, 10, 7, 2?
This works but I like 15 - 100’s bc of levels 2&4 having blinds of 400. You will most likely have to make lots of change when players have to put 4 blacks out there
I'd prefer 15 but 10 could work. Unless you're using any kind of antes in which case I'd say that 15 is the minimum.

Just a consideration: For a set amount of time, the deeper the stacks the more turbo-ish the endgame will be. This goes against a common misconception that the deeper the stacks the less of a turbo it is. Time vs numbers of players are the most important factors.

To show what I mean, compare what the calculator spits out for a T100 base with 40k stacks with your results when using 100k stacks (7h for both). The 100k one will allow deeeeep play at first, but compare the last 2 hours, taking the average stack into account (the number of eliminations need to be estimated, and are most likely less in the 100k structure). Which if the two endgames is more of a turbo?

I'm not against deepstack tourneys, but one should to be aware of the effects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom