More lower denoms or more higher denoms (1 Viewer)

chipinla

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this lately.

What’s better? More of a lower denom or more of a higher denom? Only wondering because sometimes I see people saying in a .25/.50 game, a rack of quarters is enough. But in the next post about something else that same person will say “BUT MOAR CHIPS”

I bring it up because I love lots of chips on the table. I’d rather have 4 quarters on the table, than a $1chip in play. Maybe it’s because of the people I play with but they like lots of chips on the table also. I think it makes people feel good right? To see lots of chips in front of them. I find it creates more action also.

Just my thoughts.

I’ve been thinking about this lately.

What’s better? More of a lower denom or more of a higher denom? Only wondering because sometimes I see people saying in a .25/.50 game, a rack of quarters is enough. But in the next post about something else that same person will say “BUT MOAR CHIPS”

I bring it up because I love lots of chips on the table. I’d rather have 4 quarters on the table, than a $1chip in play. Maybe it’s because of the people I play with but they like lots of chips on the table also. I think it makes people feel good right? To see lots of chips in front of them. I find it creates more action also.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah it’s a psychological thing for me. Having a lot of chips in front of you just makes me feel better. Other players often overestimate how good you’re doing because of the ammount of chips. My friends don’t like a lot of chips. They’d rather have the least ammount of chips possible. I like big stacks.

People often argue the opposite, but I prefer more chips on the table too
The set I use the most now is 640 chips:
280 - 25¢
220 - $1
80 - $5
40 - $20
20 - $88 (yes, it’s my BTTF set)

Bank of $3250. I get that it depends on what types of games that will be hosted also but I will never host a $1/$2 game. It just would never happen. And my games are all 6-8 people. Works for me and more than enough. And it gets lots of chips on the table which is fun ha… MOAR CHIPS!!!

I agree, MOAR chips. For a $.25/$.50 I like when there are no more than three denoms on the table. Lately $.25/$.50 for me has been playing more like $1/$2 so I prefer beefed up quantities of ones and fives on the table as opposed to getting out the $25 chips.

I might be in the minority, but I find a bunch of blind chips on the table annoying. If I'm playing in a .25/.50 game, I would bet 6-8 quarters per player would be plenty. That said, some games might play a little smaller, with more limping and smaller raises, so more quarters could be warranted. On the other hand, I like a lot of "workhorse" chips. Plenty of 1's and 5's are great.

Sure, more chips is better. But can you afford it?

Fracs are some of the most expensive chips out there, due to the costs to acquire them and/or the time to convert them.

If you've got all the money in the world, then knock yourself out with everything you can gather.

Sure, more chips is better. But can you afford it?

Fracs are some of the most expensive chips out there, due to the costs to acquire them and/or the time to convert them.

If you've got all the money in the world, then knock yourself out with everything you can gather.
829E7D1A-4543-4C79-AAEA-67574A8D6CB0.jpeg

More is better

Seriously, hate it when you ask your neighbor (who is hoarding all the smalls) for change and they act all disgusted . . .

More is better

Seriously, hate it when you ask your neighbor (who is hoarding all the smalls) for change and they act all disgusted . . .
This is actually how I feel with what @Beakertwang said. 6-8 quarters per person isn’t enough IMO because inevitably there’s always change being made between people in my experience. Again, I get games and people play different.

Prefer the absolute minimum amount of fracs and next lowest denom needed. Otherwise with too many fracs, you inevitably get to a point in the night where someone has accumulated a mountain of fracs and cuts out 153 fracs to call a bet. And it's usually the guy who is absolutely dead drunk doing this and takes about 15 minutes to do it.

There was one game I attended (25¢/50¢), that had 25¢ and 50¢ chips. I like chips as much as the next PCFer, but that game was slow as hell with way too many fracs.

Prefer the absolute minimum amount of fracs and next lowest denom needed. Otherwise with too many fracs, you inevitably get to a point in the night where someone has accumulated a mountain of fracs and cuts out 153 fracs to call a bet. And it's usually the guy who is absolutely dead drunk doing this and takes about 15 minutes to do it.

There was one game I attended (25¢/50¢), that had 25¢ and 50¢ chips. I like chips as much as the next PCFer, but that game was slow as hell with way too many fracs.
Both 25¢ and 50¢ is disgusting.

My thought process is this: If you are using 50¢, then one rack is good for the table; If you are using 25¢, then get two racks per table. You might have more than you need. But you might not. Depends on how many limpers you have.

Both 25¢ and 50¢ is disgusting.

My thought process is this: If you are using 50¢, then one rack is good for the table; If you are using 25¢, then get two racks per table. You might have more than you need. But you might not. Depends on how many limpers you have.
ya 25¢ and 50¢ is weird.

Congrats @Saoliver I finally agree with you something.

I like more (any denom) chips but I'm also the bank and (usually) the least drunk person at the end of the night, so I end up having to recount people's stacks before cashing them out. In those circumstances, definitely more higher denoms preferred!

I using mostly the following chip breakdown depending on stake (I mostly played 50/$1 & $1/1 but occasionally play 25/50 & 1/2 as well)

100/200/200/100 for stake 25/50c & 50/50c

40/200/200/100/100 for stake 50/$1

200/200/100/100 for stake $1/$1

100/200/200/100 for stake $1/$2 $1/$3 & $2/$2

Also, I always bring an additional barrel of next denomination as spare bank for the wildest night

It worked for me and don't fix what's not broken

Last edited:
I feel better with more chips in front of me, but I also dislike too many fracs on the table. I think I'd splurge on $1 chips if I had an unlimited spending budget.

The other thing, is that I LOVE $20 chips, so I don't really go crazy on $5 chips.

I know some people hate more than 3 denoms on the table, but I love to get 4 denoms into play. In a .25/.50 game it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours before we finally get a big chip on the table. Feels good to announce it... and EVERY time it causes play to ratchet up to higher betting sizes. As the table bank grows so does the betting in my games at least.

I know I am in the minority here, but this is what I do and I never had any problems.

Whatever my lowest chip is (usually it is small blind) my normal buy in stack includes a barrel of them. Everyone starts with 20 of them. Nobody ever needs change until they need to rebuy, and rebuys are bigger chips only. I found by starting out like this there is always plenty of every denomination needed for the game to go smoothly all night.

My 25¢/50¢ table is $50 max and people get
20 x 25¢
20 x $1
5 x $5

and rebuys are all $5 chips. Puts plenty out there, people only need change when they rebuy, everything just works.

I vote for more higher chips. I like when a bigger chip makes a late appearance. For my .25/.50 it's the $20 that comes in late.

A rack of quarters is enough. I have more, and if I have a bunch of first timers I will keep extra barrel or two close by just in case. The new players always seem to expect all pots to be family pots and they don't know how to manage a stack. I give em 12 quarters and they call a $3 bet with all of them, then wonder why they need change to limp into the next pot :LOL: :laugh:. After a couple sessions and a little ribbing people usually start to figure it out.

Played in a tournament recently where we all got a barrel each of 25 and 50, plus a half barrel of 100. The 25s were obsolete after lv 1 but we didn't color up until lv8 or so :unsure:. That was extreme but way too many useless chips. You'd have a mountain in front of you worth 10 bb.

Whatever my lowest chip is (usually it is small blind) my normal buy in stack includes a barrel of them. Everyone starts with 20 of them. Nobody ever needs change until they need to rebuy, and rebuys are bigger chips only. I found by starting out like this there is always plenty of every denomination needed for the game to go smoothly all night.

and rebuys are all $5 chips. Puts plenty out there, people only need change when they rebuy, everything just works.

We do the same with starting stacks. I’ve found that one barrel of small blinds is sufficient (unless there’s tipping, then we need to replenish a couple times through the night), and the more big chips on the table the faster the game moves…especially in split pots.

We also rebuy frequently so it’s easier/quicker to toss a few chips on the table than constantly grabbing racks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom