Mixed game suggestions (1 Viewer)

Gongalope

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So. My crew currently only plays no limit holdem. Was hoping to mix it up a little bit by adding some mixed games.

What are your suggestions for 4 of the easier mixed games for everyone to get their heads around.

Transitioning-from-holdem.jpeg

This chart had been posted elsewhere around here before and isn't an unreasonable chart. Personally, I was introduced to the Omaha variants at @bergs recent AZ mini-meetup and found I actually liked those quite a bit. The double board games, while maddening at times, provided plenty of action and nowhere near as mind-numbing as NLH can be.

I'll let others chime in as well. Good luck introducing your players to other games. I had a beast of a time trying to do so, but now that COVID has had my game shut down for 2.5 years (long story behind the reasons), I'm planning on starting off with mixed games once we get going again. Hopefully we won't look back.

Last edited:
Crazy Pineapple is the first mixed game every group that's reluctantly testing the waters should play. If they like that, try Three-Hand Hold'em next - it gives them more options and two discards. Either way, try Double-Board Hold'em next, so they can learn about split pots.

Hollywood is a simple variation that adds some spice - it's like Pineapple, but they get to keep the extra card instead of discarding it, but the extra card is publicly visible.

I'd encourage you to try 2-7 Triple Draw; it gets them interested in draw games and it's super-easy to understand and a lot of fun to play. It also gets them into low games, which will help when it's time to play Omaha 8 or Razz.

No-limit Single Draw is as simple a game as exists. It's the granddaddy of all poker; everyone knows how to play it, but it's a little dry. Play it with deuces wild to make it more interesting.

If they enjoy the draw games and enjoy the discarding games (Pineapple and Three-Hand Hold'em) then you could try Scrotum aka Holdout. It seems like a really weird game at first, but conceptually it's just five-card draw combined with a community board and is pretty easy to grasp when it's explained that way.

Stud is great, but don't start with any stud games; it's sufficiently different that hold'em players will get confused and frustrated if they're not already enthusiastic about trying new things.

For a game that's structurally the same as Hold'em but strategically different, try Showtime and Encore. It takes the additional-public-information gameplay aspect from Stud and adds it to Hold'em:
Showtime: Hold’em, mucked cards are mucked face-up.

Encore: After the Showtime hand is complete, turn the muck face-down and immediately deal a new hand using only the stub from the first hand, without moving the button. The winner of the first hand posts a big blind and betting proceeds to the left of the winner. No other blinds or antes are posted. Later betting rounds start to the left of the button as usual. Mucked cards are mucked face-down as usual.

If they play a few of these and decide they like mixed games, have them try Omaha the next time you play, and devote the whole night to it so that they can practice practice practice getting their mind around it. Don't jump into any Omaha variations until they're all super-excited about playing just plain Omaha. But once you get there you can teach them anything, including Stud and Razz.

Any H.O.R.S.E game
Omaha
Pineapple
SOHE

I'd avoid 2-7 games, badugis, double board, etc. as these would fare better once your group learns the simpler ones.

GL!

We also used to only play Texas Hold em too. We added seven card stud and Omaha to the mix. The only issue is that it Texas Hold em now sits on the backburner.

I have found that seven card stud works especially well in friendly and family games with less than 5 players. The betting structure gives players the chance to potentially draw to some bigger hands that would have been folded to an early all in bet in Texas Hold em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom