Messaging App (1 Viewer)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I need help finding a messaging app for poker group texts. I specifically would like an iOS app that sends a text to a bunch of people (20+) and only allows yes/no or in/out replies. My group texts sometimes run to 100+ texts in an hour or less because poker players are a**holes who cannot follow simple instructions, like this group text thread is only for in/out replies not for general BS and giving each other a hard time.

Google and the App store have not been very helpful.

L

Maybe some sort of RSVP app? If the group members are on Facebook you could create a Facebook event where people could then choose if they are going or not going. There would be room for BS if people wanted to do that, but you'd be able to see at a glance how many had confirmed.

Telegram lets you do polls. Are you coming to the game tonight? Options: Yes or No.

I don't know for sure if you can block people from talking in the chat as well though. Something to look into.

GroupMe is an app that I've been using for years. Great way to create mass conversation, and it's not as intrusive as a mass text message. Only issue is convincing everyone to download the app. It available via iOS, Android, and it's web-based. I use it for Fantasy Football, Poker, Grad School Projects, Golf Buddies, and other things as well.

I need help finding a messaging app for poker group texts. I specifically would like an iOS app that sends a text to a bunch of people (20+) and only allows yes/no or in/out replies. My group texts sometimes run to 100+ texts in an hour or less because poker players are a**holes who cannot follow simple instructions, like this group text thread is only for in/out replies not for general BS and giving each other a hard time.

Google and the App store have not been very helpful.

L

I tried using Evite with my friends but as you say people are aholes and just wouldn't use it properly. Ultimately I just reverted to sending people personal texts as that is all people will look at/respond to.

@Lemonzest I have that same problem. If I send a group text, I feel like people won't respond. Because of that, I have to send like 10-15 personal texts. It drives me crazy when I have to do that. I have a group that responds via the group chat, but others just say, "oh just text me". Such an inconvenience.

Also, sometimes I feel like a group text shares phone numbers with people who may not want to have their number shared. Tough spot.

@madforpancakes first, that's an awesome screen name, and a nice finish in that golf swing LOL! Do bulk messages shoot one message to each individual as opposed to creating a group message?

I use signup genius to manage my games and have a hard and fast rule - if you aren't signed up - there isn't going to be a chair. Of course this is for tournaments - cash games I just put up the bat signal via email (and use BBC so there is no shit talk BS replies all night) and will usually get 5-6 confirmed - and a handful of stragglers - but without a RSVP I have turned people away before.

I use Text-a-Group in iOS. It works well except I have to separate iOS users from Android if there are more than ten. For some reason if there are more than 10 mixed users it won’t send to everyone. I can send to an unlimited number of iOS in a group. I also must break Android users into groups of no more than 10. I scratched my head for a long time over this. Even the developer didn’t have an answer. I finally reached the conclusion it was my service provider.

I used another similar app before this one and had the same issue. I have over 60 in my poker group.

Email doesn’t work for us as there are several that don’t use email.

Last edited:
Why are you looking for a messaging app if you don't want the people to chat? Consider Doodle or survey monkey instead.
Nothing to install, just share a link to the poll

Text messaging is the way to go, but I send out my poker invites as "bulk" text messages instead of as an MMS. I use Textra for Android, but just did some googling and it looks like there is an app called "Reach" that will do something similar. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/reach-mass-text-email-blast/id1201534974

I am looking at using Textra. Teh bulk text message approach looks great. But I read somewhere that it limits you to 10 members in your group? Is that true? I have like 23 people I like to build a group for and send out a bulk text.

I am looking at using Textra. Teh bulk text message approach looks great. But I read somewhere that it limits you to 10 members in your group? Is that true? I have like 23 people I like to build a group for and send out a bulk text.
No, you can have way more than that. I have 54 people on my text list. I add the label "Poker" to the contacts, and the group "Poker" becomes available to use in Textra.

I use Facebook events and group me for the few people that don't have Facebook. In group me I'll just put a message in there that says like this message if youre available to play on Friday. Then everyone can see how many players we got for the night

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom