Major league cricket in USA (1 Viewer)

xdan

Flush
Reaction score
So is this MLC t20 series getting a lot of interest in the USA?

Texas built a stadium for 15,000 people so it must be gaining some traction.

Interested to hear the thoughts from Americans about the game of cricket.

This is the first I’ve heard of it. I would guess the people in America who are interested in cricket are mostly people who come from places where cricket is popular.

There are definitely a lot of Indians in America. Where else is cricket popular?

ODI might have a chance to gain some traction, no chance of anybody here ever caring about test cricket.

The big cricket countries are England, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh off the top of my head.

This is the first I’ve heard of it. I would guess the people in America who are interested in cricket are mostly people who come from places where cricket is popular.

There are definitely a lot of Indians in America. Where else is cricket popular?
Australia and England
We are playing ‘the ashes’ now. The most prestigious series between these 2 countries.

Sub-continent is pretty strong
South Africa
New Zealand

So is this MLC t20 series getting a lot of interest in the USA?

Texas built a stadium for 15,000 people so it must be gaining some traction.

Interested to hear the thoughts from Americans about the game of cricket.
i'm waiting for the game to be "americatised". they will change the name, size of the field, the ball and shape of the bat. will only be played in the USA and they will call it the world series and be the world champs......

I wonder if people oblivious to cricket know a test match can last 5 days and still have no winner

They had an exhibition game years ago with Warne and Tendulkar hosting. Played at yankee stadium.
Good to see a proper cricket ground being used.

Where else is cricket popular?
IMG_6620.jpeg

I was exposed to cricket living abroad. T20 has grown on me, ODI is ok, but the middle is too prolonged imo, test cricket is like watching golf to me. Just have it on and go about doing other things, checking in occasionally.

T20 is the only version that has a real chance to get some popularity here. I think the game is fun to watch in that format, lots of hitting, etc.

However, they did a deal with Willow, so it isn't available to watch without subscription. It also wasn't really advertised. Think I heard about it through Jomboy (YouTube)

Thought about visiting my brother in Texas to watch some, but doing anything outdoors there in July is bleh

So I’m guilty of being USAcentric, no doubt. Fair enough, but the question was about cricket is the US. When’s the last time you were sitting at a poker table and the topic of conversation turned to cricket?

Last Nevuary.

Cricket fan here, usually watch World Cup. It’s definitely growing in popularity in US. T20 format better action than baseball. The neighborhood kids play pickup cricket, not basketball. “Jomboy” baseball YouTube channel which is amazing btw also does a lot of cricket highlights.

This season has a flaw though…July afternoon games in outdoor Texas heat is uh, questionable?

Next year, USA and West Indies are hosting the T20 World Cup.

If you’re a sports enthusiast, I’d strongly suggest grabbing some tickets to some of these games.. Australia, England, India, New Zealand, South Africa.

I saw Australia play India at the MCG many years ago. Incredible.

hattrick.jpg

Wish I had more and better photos from the game - MCG - AUS vs India in 2008-- forget which bowler was going for a hat trick

Grabbed a last minute ticket off the Craigslist-like site. Good times. T20 is as entertaining as baseball, and I do think Americans would like it if it was broadcast and willing to take 15 minutes to learn the basics. However, I feel that for most 'popular' sports (rugby, Aussie Rules, etc.) - heck curling captures the attention every 4 years :D

NHL strike of 94-95 Rogers SportsNet in Canada desperate for programming air T20 premiere league Indian cricket and wow what a season. Also the following season. Matches are quick and the crowds look like they are having a awesome time. I’d try watching a match or two.

NHL strike of 94-95 Rogers SportsNet in Canada desperate for programming air T20 premiere league Indian cricket and wow what a season. Also the following season. Matches are quick and the crowds look like they are having a awesome time. I’d try watching a match or two.
Oddly enough Premier League soccer got new eyes during the same strike.

View attachment 1167426

Wish I had more and better photos from the game - MCG - AUS vs India in 2008-- forget which bowler was going for a hat trick

Grabbed a last minute ticket off the Craigslist-like site. Good times. T20 is as entertaining as baseball, and I do think Americans would like it if it was broadcast and willing to take 15 minutes to learn the basics. However, I feel that for most 'popular' sports (rugby, Aussie Rules, etc.) - heck curling captures the attention every 4 years :D
That’s the one I went to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom