[Gathering Interest] Cigar Box Pass (5 Viewers)

FestiveKnight

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Gathering interest for a Cigar Box Pass to take course over the remainder of the summer.

Some may be familiar with this concept already but here’s a summary: a selection of cigars will be shipped from member to member in a predetermined order. When you receive the box, you remove a number of sticks (“Pulls”) and replace them with new sticks of your choosing (“Puts”). All progress will be monitored in a dedicated thread so we can follow along as the selection of sticks change and talk about what all everyone pulls/puts.

Right now this thread is to gather interest. If we have a good number of participants we’ll get to the parameters, setting order, etc.

For now here’s a few straw-man requirements I’d like to suggest:
  1. Members must have Flush or higher (1K+) or must be strongly vouched for by another participating member or show proof of good standing and participation on another cigar forum.
  2. Sticks will be >= $12ea MSRP
  3. USA only
  4. No infused/flavored
Please post “IN” if you’re interested.

@CraigT78 @BNM @JustDave @RowlettTexasChipGuy @Jonesey07 @Lil Tuna @Tonysquander @KHarp1 @joeyshin @Irish @Hot Nuts

IN:
  1. @Hot Nuts
  2. @NotRealNameNoSir
  3. @CraigT78
  4. @Lil Tuna
  5. @Irish
  6. @JustDave
  7. @Jonesey07
  8. @chippitydoodah
  9. @ngmcs8203
  10. @RowlettTexasChipGuy
Timeline

07/24 - Box pass started with @FestiveKnight shipping to @Jonesey07

Last edited:
Questions: How many sticks do we start out with, which I assume will remain the same throughout the passing? Maybe everyone sends in X amount of sticks to start it off so no one is left funding the first box. Should there be a limit of the number of sticks you can pull? Once we stop it, I assume you distribute the remaining sticks equally or work it out.

Questions: How many sticks do we start out with, which I assume will remain the same throughout the passing? Maybe everyone sends in X amount of sticks to start it off so no one is left funding the first box. Should there be a limit of the number of sticks you can pull? Once we stop it, I assume you distribute the remaining sticks equally or work it out.
In my experience, I (as the host) would seed the box initially and when it’s run it’s course it makes its way back to me. I am happy to seed the initial ~15 sticks.

There will be a range of pulls/puts. But in my experience people are good about understanding value of these things and usually lean generous. So there may be a hard max on pulls but I think some of the fun is in a certain amount of individuality in the approach. Some people pull many sticks and put a few expensive ones to keep it fitting in the right size box. Some people will pull the sticks that don’t seem to be getting attention to help move it along. It’s a communal balancing game. One I participated in that went well over 50 passes had to have a reset because people were too generous lol.

I’m in. Im relatively new here but I was a mod on Reddit cigars for a long time and participated in these as well as bombs and wars. Anyway, if you are new to these don’t forget a $12 cigar in Cali is a yardgar in most other parts of the country cuz of taxes so make sure you look online for the MSRP of a stick before swapping it in.

3 OF A KIND IS IN BABY! THANK YOU
Screenshot_20230708_133409_Google.jpg

Aight we’re at 10 which seems like a good enough number to get this going.

For those who are “in”, please read the following and give it some thought:

• One person begins a Box Pass by filling up a box with a predefined amount of sticks. This person is known as the Host. The Host will randomize the names of other participants and determine the shipping order. The Host will then ship it to the first person in the list.
  • As a member of the Box Pass it is your responsibility to follow these steps. Upon receiving the package, you may take sticks out of the box for your private collection. These are known as your Pulls. You must then replace these sticks with an equal, or greater, quantity. The quality of these stogies must also be equal or better. These are known are your Puts. You must take a picture of yours Pulls and post them in the Box Pass's thread. You may show a photograph of your Puts or leave these as a surprise for the group when the sticks reach the next participant. You then repackage the stogies, repairing or changing boxes when required, & ship to the next person in the shipping list.
  • Feel free to post your proposed Pulls & Puts to get community feedback, if you are unsure.
  • Communicate address and tracking information to the recipient via Direct Message. DO NOT POST TRACKING INFORMATION IN THE THREAD.
  • It is the Host's responsibility to post a timeline of events. This will will keep users up-to-date on the status of the Box Pass. See the example below:

3/7 - Box shipped via insert postal service here to insert user here. Expected delivery is 3/9.
3/9 - insert user here has received the box & posted Pulls & Puts.

• You are expected to make a post with your Pulls and ship the box out within 72 hours of receiving the box. You must let the Host know in advance if you will need more time.
  • The box will start with 15 sticks all $12 or more in cost.

Let me know any questions or concerns. Pending anything material, I’ll randomize a list up early next week and we can get this going!

These rules are adapted from another forum but I cut out a ton of their formality.

Y’all should include a singles chip too
that's not a bad idea. like so by the time they get back to @FestiveKnight they have X number of chips as well where X is the number of hops the package takes along the way?

• Communicate address and tracking information to the recipient via Direct Message. DO NOT POST TRACKING INFORMATION IN THE THREAD.
Would we want to say include the host on these DMs? I've seen that used for other passes like this, but everyone on this is established so I can't imagine we will have any issues.

that's not a bad idea. like so by the time they get back to @FestiveKnight they have X number of chips as well where X is the number of hops the package takes along the way?
@doublebooyah85 did you mean this ^ or just that there’s a single (or a few chips) and it also becomes a singles box pass?

I’m not too excited about the idea of muddying this by adding in chips (the latter) and I don’t mind a bunch of chips making their way to me (@JustDave suggestion) but I don’t get what value/interest that really provides to the participants?

Would we want to say include the host on these DMs? I've seen that used for other passes like this, but everyone on this is established so I can't imagine we will have any issues.
This is a good idea.

As you collect a cigar you collect a single poker chip. And you put a cigar back and a single chip. Seems fitting for the site lol

I’m not involved just a Booyah suggestion!

As you collect a cigar you collect a single poker chip. And you put a cigar back and a single chip. Seems fitting for the site lol

I’m not involved just a Booyah suggestion!
Ya I think for this first one I’m running on here I’m heavily inclined not to do this. Just adds an extra layer of complication (even though I know a bunch of participants have done these before).

One concern is that what singles someone wants/has can be super niche (or none at all) and though we all like cigars (which are relatively fungible) we don’t all necessarily like even the same realm of singles (which are way less fungible).

Unless a majority of the participants really want to include singles and someone can propose what guidelines for that would look like, I’m gonna rule that idea out for now.

Plus you got a chip noob like me. I have an old chiptalk sample set, majestic and royal samples, metal slugs and random Lake Tahoe and Vegas chips I’ve kept from trips I’ve made.

Ya I think for this first one I’m running on here I’m heavily inclined not to do this. Just adds an extra layer of complication (even though I know a bunch of participants have done these before).

One concern is that what singles someone wants/has can be super niche (or none at all) and though we all like cigars (which are relatively fungible) we don’t all necessarily like even the same realm of singles (which are way less fungible).

Unless a majority of the participants really want to include singles and someone can propose what guidelines for that would look like, I’m gonna rule that idea out for now.
yeah, lets walk before we run

Ordered randomized! Cross reference this against the list in OP. @Jonesey07 will be first in the line!

055B0D45-DC13-4486-B7A0-55D60DC0646E.png

Gonna look through my sticks later and see what 15 I can pull together. Here’s a teaser for now of some of what I’ll seed this with:

E39809F6-A00C-4F86-B895-984C8A31182C.jpeg

Probably won’t reveal everything and leave some for surprise when they get to @Jonesey07 but I’ll include a detail of what’s what.

Ordered randomized! Cross reference this against the list in OP. @Jonesey07 will be first in the line!

View attachment 1165047

Gonna look through my sticks later and see what 15 I can pull together. Here’s a teaser for now of some of what I’ll seed this with:

View attachment 1165046

Probably won’t reveal everything and leave some for surprise when they get to @Jonesey07 but I’ll include a detail of what’s what.
Holy crap. I was definitely not expecting to be first up! Can't wait to see what's available!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom