Looking for some assistance....... (1 Viewer)

Intention matters. Someone using and enjoying First Nation stylized art in their home because they like it is way different than a company profiting from the same art/imagery (eg. sports franchises).

I hope we have not arrived to the point where only Native people can own and enjoy First Nation art in their homes...

Broadly speaking I am in favor of everyone enjoying all cultures rather than everyone being scared and having to stay in their own lane culturally.

That is the problem with the narrative pushed in the media regarding "cultural appropriation". It is actually counter productive to people getting along and appreciating other cultures.

Just my 2c.
No, purchasing, owning or displaying the art, or appreciating other cultures isn't the issue from what I understand. And I don't think that it's a case of being scared and staying in your own lane either.

But if a non-FN person/company starts to produce said art in China and sell it on eBay (especially if they represent it as "West Coast Aboriginal Art"), then I can see where it becomes an issue. As @grantc54 mentioned above, it's tricky.

I think starting from a position of respect and understanding of the feelings of FN peoples is not a bad thing, and given the history of the Indian Act, Residential Schools, jailing/beating of FN people for practicing their own language/culture/religion, forced dislocation/relocation/loss of territory without treaties or compensation (at least in BC), etc., I think allowing them to maintain the right to their cultural images isn't a bad thing either.

Sorry, not meaning to get on a soap box here, and I get where you are coming from (as are a lot of other people). I just think that it would be nice (and respectful) if we could take a step back and try to understand the issue from the FN perspective. I think that is what is meant by the recent use of the word reconciliation.

End of soap box. I agree that the original Yoshi Dealer Button looks cool.

TBH Mike,

I have native blood flowing in my veins. I am Cree. I take no offense to your logo, and as a matter of fact, that logo is YOU. Every time I see that logo I think of you. You have every right in my mind to use that logo. Your home base is on the West Coast.

You know me Mike, I was in the military, it would take a lot to offend me. Some people need to pop the bubble wrap world they live in, and get over it.

The simple solution is to have a First Nations artist do you a design. Then there is nothing to worry about and it'll be original and cool!

Yoshi is a fairly simple little character. I'm wondering how far you could stylize him before it's no longer recognizable as Yoshi?

The first part describes me completely. And then I realized you actually meant the design of the Yoshi, and not actually me. Heh. I don't mind stylizing Yoshi to where it might not be instantly recognizable as him, even if the design nod is towards him, as a bit of an insider thing, is ok with me.

I like the shape of the second image, top row. There's a lot to work with there.

That's actually one that I think my wife and I might tinker around with to try and come up with something.

TBH Mike,

I have native blood flowing in my veins. I am Cree. I take no offense to your logo, and as a matter of fact, that logo is YOU. Every time I see that logo I think of you. You have every right in my mind to use that logo. Your home base is on the West Coast.

You know me Mike, I was in the military, it would take a lot to offend me. Some people need to pop the bubble wrap world they live in, and get over it.

Thanks John. I do really like the logo, and like I have said, I have no intention of getting rid of it. I do appreciate you saying that you are not at all offended by it, and I would also hope that most people would also not be offended by it. That said, if it would offend even one person, and they had good reason to be offended by it, I also have no problem with trying to come up with something different. I am generally not easily offended by things, but I also try to be very empathetic towards others, and if I can make others feel better, then why not.

The simple solution is to have a First Nations artist do you a design. Then there is nothing to worry about and it'll be original and cool!

While that would have been an easy solution, then I would still lose out on the imagery that I already have. And I like the design that I already have. So if I am going to create a new logo, then why not go another route and come up with something else. (That said, I have actually spoken with a first nations artist about actually creating an actual wood carved Yoshi, perhaps some day.......) I have know some other first nations artists, and would love to work with them some day on some other projects.

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I never intended for this to be a thread about cultural appropriation or anything like that (but dialog is always good!) I really am looking for more thoughts on my design idea. I often have a lot of design thoughts, but sadly I am nowhere near trained enough to do actual art. Luckily I have somewhat surrounded myself with a ton of great artists. I have relied on them for many things, but this time I wanted to open this up to poker chip people, and see what could come of it.

Mike

Oh, and sidenote, I recall a few years ago, reading? seeing? a discussion with the First Nations peoples, and they said that they viewed that art style as somewhat a trademark of theirs, and did not wish to see it being used by non First Nations peoples. That kind of stuck in my head for a few years, and has been sitting on the backburner for a while, just figured might as well start thinking of an alternative.

And like I've said a few times already , nothing wrong with getting some shiny new toys. A new logo might get me to do a bunch of new things.........

Mike

So, here's a first draft of what my wife and I came up with. Any thoughts?

yoshi2020.jpg

So, kinda thought we would toy with making those first spikes into quasi maple leafs, as a nod to my home country.
Right now though, I think the design is kind of in limbo between being manga/cutest/yoshi styling and monster/godzilla styling. I think I’d maybe like to go more the monster look, but not sure how to achieve that.

Mike

So, kinda thought we would toy with making those first spikes into quasi maple leafs, as a nod to my home country.
Right now though, I think the design is kind of in limbo between being manga/cutest/yoshi styling and monster/godzilla styling. I think I’d maybe like to go more the monster look, but not sure how to achieve that.

Mike

I would hire a graphic designer and then just tell them the theme you want and let them do the heavy lifting. Your job is just to decide on a theme and overall style. Do you want a cartoony look or a dark/gothic styling?

Once I started dabbling with inlay art I knew I was way over my head and searched for a designers help asap.

I would hire a graphic designer and then just tell them the theme you want and let them do the heavy lifting. Your job is just to decide on a theme and overall style. Do you want a cartoony look or a dark/gothic styling?

Once I started dabbling with inlay art I knew I was way over my head and searched for a designers help asap.
I've gone that route before. I also know a lot of artists, which I have hired for design work as well. This time I wanted to approach it a different way, hoping to get as many eyeballs on it as possible, rather than just myself and a single (or small team) of designers.

Mike

Going to tag @Gear , @Wifey @Frank and @T_Chan into this thread, as I play with them locally and they haven't posted in here yet.

Going to tag @p5woody and @Quicksilver-75 into here, as they are designers that I have not yet had a chance to work with.

Will tag more people when I can think of them.........

Been watching with interest, but not much to contribute... When it comes to original artwork I'm all thumbs.

I get most of my inspiration from people doing the ordering and I just put the ideas together.

Taking a stab at it, I would come up with something like this.... :wtf:

Yoshizilla.png

Is that a laser beam coming out of a marshmallow on a stick?
Anyway, maybe add a bigger snout to the curled up Godzilla. The dorsal spines already look kinda like maple leaves.

i love the concept but feel like the below design is throwing to many elements in. Itd be difficult for anyone to tell what it is meant to be without explanation

So, here's a first draft of what my wife and I came up with. Any thoughts?

View attachment 405974

This one below (even though obviously quickly thrown together) is more obvious and a better direction imo
Been watching with interest, but not much to contribute... When it comes to original artwork I'm all thumbs.

I get most of my inspiration from people doing the ordering and I just put the ideas together.

View attachment 406140

Either way cant wait to see what you come up with.

Ha! That's not that bad. I'm basically the same, I have bunches of ideas, but not the talent and skill to be able to execute.

Is that a laser beam coming out of a marshmallow on a stick?
Anyway, maybe add a bigger snout to the curled up Godzilla. The dorsal spines already look kinda like maple leaves.

Yeah, trying to figure out something with the face. Again, this was a very quick and rough piece done based on the second image in the godzilla graphic. We did already turn the 3 spines into maple leaves. Not quite sure if it works or not. Possibly I should make it back into more like the other spines,,,,,,

Good luck with the project, Mike!

Here's another designer you might not have worked with.. @BonScot

Honestly, I love BonScot's stuff. I mean, I ordered 2,000+ of the donkey chips, so I kinda tipped my hat there. On a serious note, I think that his style could translate extremely well into a comic or webcomic. And I know many people that make their living from that medium.

Mike

I wasn’t tagged by Mike when he tagged all the other so-called “designers” so I’m now in a big huff :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
For serious. If you came up with something. I promise that I would have something made of it...... I'm not sure what, or how many, but I would definitely follow through.

Mike

PS, I love the fact that my location says Canada, but shows a US flag, and I'm posting from France.

i love the concept but feel like the below design is throwing to many elements in. Itd be difficult for anyone to tell what it is meant to be without explanation
Yeah, it is difficult, especially if I end up using it for a poker chip design, which then becomes very very small. That said, I kind of like the idea that someone might not initially see the Yoshi game character design, and just think of it as it's own stand alone kind of monster design. Then, when they find out more, they can see the nod to it. It's kind of the goal that I am going for , to be honest.

Either way cant wait to see what you come up with.
Thanks. I absolutely love the designs of some of your chips as well.

Mike

For serious. If you came up with something. I promise that I would have something made of it...... I'm not sure what, or how many, but I would definitely follow through.

Mike

PS, I love the fact that my location says Canada, but shows a US flag, and I'm posting from France.
I can’t stay mad at you forever Mike!

Here you go...

8086BC94-DED7-44F3-A530-06918BF9D3AF.jpeg

Can you tell that I have no idea what a Yoshi is? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I can’t stay mad at you forever Mike!

Here you go...

Can you tell that I have no idea what a Yoshi is? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Ha!! That is awesome. I promise that I will be getting something made of that. When I do, I'm gonna need your address to ship you a sample.

btw, Yoshi is a character from Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. franchise. It's a video game thing from the 90's.

Mike

Ha!! That is awesome. I promise that I will be getting something made of that. When I do, I'm gonna need your address to ship you a sample.

btw, Yoshi is a character from Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. franchise. It's a video game thing from the 90's.

Mike
Careful not to go showing off with your exclusive artwork. You’ll make all the other PCFers jealous :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I was too busy playing Goldeneye on the Nintendo to give Mario a chance.

Careful not to go showing off with your exclusive artwork. You’ll make all the other PCFers jealous :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I was too busy playing Goldeneye on the Nintendo to give Mario a chance.
Too late for you to take the art away. I already have it saved to my desktop!

You were playing Goldeneye? Man, you were lucky, that's N64 stuff. I never got that console. I was still using my NES and Sega Genesis.

Mike
Need razor-sharp teeth. Works even if they're grinning.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom