Cash Game Limit Chip Breakdown Advice (1 Viewer)

It was me. But my grand plan was foiled by a lack of the necessary denominations. Thanks, @bergs!

Still provided a great excuse for a fantastic post from Berg that will hopefully help lots of people going forward. Easy thread to link back to as soon as someone has any questions on limit breakdowns.

The prerequisite for any breakdown thread:

Still provided a great excuse for a fantastic post from Berg that will hopefully help lots of people going forward. Easy thread to link back to as soon as someone has any questions on limit breakdowns.

The prerequisite for any breakdown thread:

Agree 100%. Really a great analysis.

My plan is to get the following for my pink chip limit set (which I've wanted forever):

Pink Chip Mixed Limit Game - 8 players max
200 white (antes, tips, etc) - enough that everyone can get a stack plus some extras
2000 pink (everyone gets 2 racks plus 4 racks extra, with the realization that alot of people will simply buyin for 1 rack to start; alot of the rebuys will be in pink which makes for huge stacks)
200 yellow ($20s) for rebuys

Have you considered getting oversized $20s for this set? Could be sweeeeeeeet.

Are you doing this ceramic or CPC?

You should consider a non-denom limit set so we can use it every time we play limit regardless of stakes.

I'm contemplating adding onto my sunset chips so that they could be used for a limit set as well. I've never hosted a FL game before. My group normally plays .25/.50 with a 60-100 buy in. I think I would like to keep the FL game in the 1/2 or 2/4 range.

For budget reasons I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on the minimum chips required for a 10 player game and "your" ideal amount. Also, if I host a FL game would it be best to only have three chips? or could I use three of my denominations? I know I can do whatever the fuck I want, but I'm posting to get your opinions on this. FWIW, I don't believe hardly anyone in my group has played FL with any consistency. We will basically all be learning together.

My cash set has 1's, 5's, 25's, and 100's.

I haven't decided if I would add onto my sunsets, or simply purchase a FL set.

Thanks in advance.

B

If you went with 2/4 (pretty tame stakes, typically), you wouldn't need a fractional chip....... just a shit-ton of $1s. Add some $20 chips, and you're set to go.

If you went with 2/4 (pretty tame stakes, typically), you wouldn't need a fractional chip....... just a shit-ton of $1s. Add some $20 chips, and you're set to go.

that's why I didn't list my frac's. What is the recommended starting stacks. Honestly, I don't know if I'm a fan of having a rack per person in the starting stack (budget reasons, but also with that many chips on the table it starts to become messy lol).

If it was a 2/4 game, with standard 100.00 ins what is the minimum starting stack of 1's I could get away with without it being a problem.

Well, the logical answer is that if everybody is buying in for $100 in a 2/4 game using $1 chips, they should each get a rack of $1s.

The minimum you could get away with? Probably three barrels of $1s plus two $20 chips (each). For 10 players, that's 600 x $1 and a barrel of $20s, just for the initial buy-ins.

But I'd advise nine racks of $1s and a rack of $20s as a much more playable (and enjoyable) single-table set.

that's why I didn't list my frac's. What is the recommended starting stacks. Honestly, I don't know if I'm a fan of having a rack per person in the starting stack (budget reasons, but also with that many chips on the table it starts to become messy lol).

If it was a 2/4 game, with standard 100.00 ins what is the minimum starting stack of 1's I could get away with without it being a problem.

I like having a rack of 1's for each player and 1 rack of 20's for rebuys.

Well, the logical answer is that if everybody is buying in for $100 in a 2/4 game using $1 chips, they should each get a rack of $1s.

The minimum you could get away with? Probably three barrels of $1s plus two $20 chips (each). For 10 players, that's 600 x $1 and a barrel of $20s, just for the initial buy-ins.

But I'd advise nine racks of $1s and a rack of $20s as a much more playable (and enjoyable) single-table set.

Thanks........maybe its not realistic for me to add onto the sunsets then. Too expensive. Might have to look at other alternatives like waiting for a great deal in the classifieds lol.

Thanks again.

B

Thanks........maybe its not realistic for me to add onto the sunsets then. Too expensive. Might have to look at other alternatives like waiting for a great deal in the classifieds lol.

Thanks again.

B

You could do a 1000 chip set of the Horseshoe Cleveland chips with 900 x $1 and 100 x $25 for under $550, assuming the prices don't change when the pre-sale goes back up.

You could do a 1000 chip set of the Horseshoe Cleveland chips with 900 x $1 and 100 x $25 for under $550, assuming the prices don't change when the pre-sale goes back up.

I thought about that. I really want a .25/.50 to 1/1 paulson cash set. I'd love to add onto the sunsets since the blue one dollar chip is my favorite. That'll just get to expensive.

I guess I'm not in a hurry. Now I have a starting point of what to look for. In the meantime "if" I happen to host a FL game I'll just have to borrow @ChaosRock chips.

I have in the past considered how to determine the true minimum needed for a limit game to run smoothly and came to the preliminary conclusion that the minimum is the number of chips needed is the number necessary to play two "significant" hands, a "significant" hand being defined as one that includes a bet and a raise on each street. My thinking is that if a player has played and lost two "significant" hands, then their punishment is having to buy their chips back.

In a traditional flop game the minimum would be 12 big bets. So if you're playing $2/4, players need 48 $1s. I would round up to either $50 or $60 in $1s and add on either two $25s or two $20s to complete their $100 buy-in.

If you're playing 7- or 8-max, that's a pretty modest number of $1s.

I have in the past considered how to determine the true minimum needed for a limit game to run smoothly and came to the preliminary conclusion that the minimum is the number of chips needed is the number necessary to play two "significant" hands, a "significant" hand being defined as one that includes a bet and a raise on each street. My thinking is that if a player has played and lost two "significant" hands, then their punishment is having to buy their chips back.

In a traditional flop game the minimum would be 12 big bets. So if you're playing $2/4, players need 48 $1s. I would round up to either $50 or $60 in $1s and add on either two $25s or two $20s to complete their $100 buy-in.

If you're playing 7- or 8-max, that's a pretty modest number of $1s.

Thank you sir. I love having options to think about.

I know little to nothing about FL games :)

Bill, here's my 2¢: Ideally, as you know, it's great to have at least 1 rack of workhorse per player, more if you want a 3/6+ chip game. Another possibility is, like Dave has suggested, a couple+ barrels of $1s and the rest in 20x(25x) chip, so betting is always with $1s and then you make change with your big chips as you need it. A third option is to use $1s, $5s and $25s for a $2/$4 or $3/$6 game... Although not ideal, it's pretty doable. On later streets when betting is $4, you can throw a $5 and get your dollar back.

Last year in Chicago we were playing circus games with @Ben 's VL and were buying for $100 with barrel/barrel/rest in $5s... Half the games we were playing were $2/$4 Limit and the other half NL/PL... The game moved quite well... Was it as good as having a bunch of $1s for Limit, no, but it worked...

Thanks again.

B

If you're into Game of Thrones you could get in on the group buy. 70 cents per chip (ceramics).

Thank you sir. I love having options to think about.

I know little to nothing about FL games :)

I said in another thread a while ago too that as much as we are obsessed with chips and having huge stacks for limit games, the important thing to remember is that these games were played for decades with garbage interlocking chips with horrible breakdowns and denominations. So it can be done with pretty much anything you have. If you need two denominations, use pennies and nickels.

My above description is my attempt to find a balance between what is best (a rack a man, obv) and what is actually necessary for the game to run smoothly.

My above description is my attempt to find a balance between what is best (a rack a man, obv) and what is actually necessary for the game to run smoothly.

That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Minimum number of chips to Ideal number of chips to run a FL game at my stakes. I fully knew I was going to get several different responses which is exactly what I wanted. The more responses that I get. The more information I'll have to tweak it to fit my style of game that I want to host.

Thanks

Bill, here's my 2¢: Ideally, as you know, it's great to have at least 1 rack of workhorse per player, more if you want a 3/6+ chip game. Another possibility is, like Dave has suggested, a couple+ barrels of $1s and the rest in 20x(25x) chip, so betting is always with $1s and then you make change with your big chips as you need it. A third option is to use $1s, $5s and $25s for a $2/$4 or $3/$6 game... Although not ideal, it's pretty doable. On later streets when betting is $4, you can throw a $5 and get your dollar back.

Last year in Chicago we were playing circus games with @Ben 's VL and were buying for $100 with barrel/barrel/rest in $5s... Half the games we were playing were $2/$4 Limit and the other half NL/PL... The game moved quite well... Was it as good as having a bunch of $1s for Limit, no, but it worked...

Thank you Paulo.

Hmmmmm...great info, thanks Dave and great thread, thanks Rob. I also have thought about getting a limit set for 1/2 or 2/4 game, IF and WHEN I hop back into the chip frenzy.
Say 900 $1's and a rack of $20's (or maybe 80 x $80 and 20 x $100 just to get some hundos). How about bring-in in 1/2 stud games? Bring-in with $1 and raise with $2 yes?

Hmmmmm...great info, thanks Dave and great thread, thanks Rob. I also have thought about getting a limit set for 1/2 or 2/4 game, IF and WHEN I hop back into the chip frenzy.
Say 900 $1's and a rack of $20's (or maybe 80 x $80 and 20 x $100 just to get some hundos). How about bring-in in 1/2 stud games? Bring-in with $1 and raise with $2 yes?

For 2/4 stud, I'd play $1 bring-in, $2 to complete and $4 to raise.

For 2/4 stud, I'd play $1 bring-in, $2 to complete and $4 to raise.

How about 1/2 stud and razz. Not sure if I can get our players to play 2/4 at least in the beginning. Will have to manage with Colony Clubs at first.
We are going to play next month for the first time since January :)

We are going to play next month for the first time since January

I'm really sorry. I love my south eastern MI location. Between @mike32 @ChaosRock and hopefully more often @ThePunk we have games all the time. Hell, sometimes its tough to schedule a game because the other hosts want to get some action as well.

How about 1/2 stud and razz. Not sure if I can get our players to play 2/4 at least in the beginning. Will have to manage with Colony Clubs at first.
We are going to play next month for the first time since January :)

I've never played 1/2. I guess you could still have the bring $1 and just give players the option to call the $1 or raise it to $2.

275 x 1

285 x 5

68 x 25

25 x 100

As a test, whenever you want to run a limit game, you can put all your $1s and $5s in play and see how it goes... $1/$2 seems way too low for your crew... Minimum $2/$4 I think... I think it would help if you include a few games they are very familiar with in the rotation like O8 or Tahoe so that they are not, at the same time, experiencing both a different betting structure and new games (27T, Badugi, Razz, etc...)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom