Lightning Strikes (3 Viewers)

I've seen this called the opposite way during the season, claiming the player had possession because he was in control of the puck. They're definitely not consistent with this. I hate the offside challenge to begin with.
Then it was called incorrectly during the season.

https://www.nhl.com/video/video-rulebook-delayed-off-side/t-277350912/c-7421812

1654085307661.png

I don't consider the attempt to gain possession as he had possession prior to entering the zone.

View attachment 921104

I don't consider the attempt to gain possession as he had possession prior to entering the zone.
By the book it's a correct call, but this is literally the first time I can remember it being called this way because the puck wasn't directly touching the stick, but he had control and possession.

If they want to call it this way going forward I'm fine with it, but they won't, they pick and choose when and where to apply their rule and change the interpretation of they need to. That is what pisses me off.

I wanted Colorado to win too, but I don't really care who wins, so I'm not being biased here.

By the book it's a correct call, but this is literally the first time I can remember it being called this way because the puck wasn't directly touching the stick, but he had control and possession.

If they want to call it this way going forward I'm fine with it, but they won't, they pick and choose when and where to apply their rule and change the interpretation of they need to. That is what pisses me off.

I wanted Colorado to win too, but I don't really care who wins, so I'm not being biased here.
I know for sure it was called correctly against us (Nashville) either this season or last season. We challenged of course and lost the challenge.

Guys, hey guys, listen up. This is onside now, capish?
View attachment 920876
Makar, the best offensive defensemen in the league didn’t have control of the puck (or didn’t intend to gain control of the puck)…. Riiiiight. And I have some ocean front property to sell in Switzerland.

Utter and complete bullshit.

The NHL is so inconsistent with their application of the rules it’s not even funny.

I know for sure it was called correctly against us (Nashville) either this season or last season. We challenged of course and lost the challenge.
That's unfortunate, but it was probably challenged because normally it would be the opposite of whatever it was.

Game day :) Eastern Conference Finals - Lightning vs Rangers

cut.jpg

I'm pretty sure the series will come down to which one of these goaltenders plays better - my money is on Vasy

cut-1.jpg

Game day :) Eastern Conference Finals - Lightning vs Rangers

View attachment 921106

I'm pretty sure the series will come down to which one of these goaltenders plays better - my money is on Vasy

View attachment 921107
I think Tampa Bay certainly has the edge on paper. If the Oilers can’t win it all, it would be neat to see a three-peat by the Lightning!

My kids' junior high and high schools are also the lightning, and go by the bolts. We use purple as our main color instead of blue, though.

1654086852218.png

View attachment 921104

The call was suspect and despite the graciousness of Woodcroft, it definitely had a huge impact on the game. It set up Colorado's next goal as well.

The linesman was splitting hairs and this is not within the spirit of the delayed offside rule.

Makar carried the puck over the line - he had possession.

There's no way these linesman are able to make the judgment when the play is in real time - if the player's stick is actually touching the puck when he's carrying it over. The game is too fast.

The call was suspect and despite the graciousness of Woodcroft, it definitely had a huge impact on the game. It set up Colorado's next goal as well.

The linesman was splitting hairs and this is not within the spirit of the delayed offside rule.

Makar carried the puck over the line - he had possession.

There's no way these linesman are able to make the judgment when the play is in real time - if the player's stick is actually touching the puck when he's carrying it over. The game is too fast.

Trust me, I didn't want the goal to count but it was in fact a good goal.

Makar did not touch the puck in the zone until all players had tagged up. It looks really funky because the puck enters the zone when a player is offside but the whole point of the delayed offside is that a player can tag up before the puck is touched in the zone and it's a good play.

The explanation is right here:

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-o...me-1-situation-room/c-334405040?tid=277729160

Explanation: It was determined that Colorado's Valeri Nichushkin legally tagged up at the blue line before Cale Makar entered the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. Makar made contact with the puck in the offensive zone after Nichushkin was in an on-side position.

Makar did not touch the puck in the zone until all players had tagged up. It looks really funky because the puck enters the zone when a player is offside but the whole point of the delayed offside is that a player can tag up before the puck is touched in the zone and it's a good play.

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-o...me-1-situation-room/c-334405040?tid=277729160

Explanation: It was determined that Colorado's Valeri Nichushkin legally tagged up at the blue line before Cale Makar entered the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. Makar made contact with the puck in the offensive zone after Nichushkin was in an on-side position.
Yep, this is correct. My only point is they almost never call it this way.

Here's some still frames for reference:

1654089422685.png

Nichushkin is in an offside position, the puck is about to enter the zone. Notice the puck is not in contact with Makar's stick.

A few frames later:

1654089490151.png

Nichushkin is now "tagged up" and the puck has still not been touched by Makar. Notice that both players are now "onside."

Final shot:

1654089816500.png

Makar finally makes contact with the puck in a legal, onside fashion.

In that case, the Rangers' called back goal in Game 5 in Carolina should have counted.

The league really does not seem to like McDavid and the Oilers for some reason.

My point is that it's splitting hairs on possession of the puck vs actually touching the puck. There's no way the linesmen can process this as the game is playing in real time.

It was a complete fluke that Makar didn't actually touch the puck again after he had already set it in motion into the zone and Nichushkin tagged up. He's a skilled player but that wasn't intentional. Point is that Makar had control of the puck the entire time.

The sports broadcast I was watching showed 2 prior instances of the same type of call. There's probably more but it seems more like the exception and not how it's usually called. In the same broadcast, many former NHL players were apparently unaware of this rule. That's a problem if players are seemingly not broadly aware of this.

I'm not sure of any other sport where the officiating is such a constant problem.

In that case, the Rangers' called back goal in Game 5 in Carolina should have counted.

The league really does not seem to like McDavid and the Oilers for some reason.
If the refs actually called the interference, hooks, holds, etc. that McDavid is faced with every game, the Oilers would be on power play 60 minutes each night.

My point is that it's splitting hairs on possession of the puck vs actually touching the puck. There's no way the linesmen can process this as the game is playing in real time.

It was a complete fluke that Makar didn't actually touch the puck again after he had already set it in motion into the zone and Nichushkin tagged up. He's a skilled player but that wasn't intentional. Point is that Makar had control of the puck the entire time.

The sports broadcast I was watching showed 2 prior instances of the same type of call. There's probably more but it seems more like the exception and not how it's usually called. In the same broadcast, many former NHL players were apparently unaware of this rule. That's a problem if players are seemingly not broadly aware of this.

I'm not sure of any other sport where the officiating is such a constant problem.
I agree there is ambiguity in the rule, but I've been witness to this play at least 5 times and all 5 times were reviews that confirmed a good goal.

Ok, so that was a cluster fuck. NY looking good, way better than I thought. Shesterkin is great. Gonna be an interesting series. I always wonder if a sweep is really the best thing for a team. Of course you'll take it to rest up, but I feel it's not always a good thing, you get out of rhythm.

Good game Rangers - about what I expected from the Bolts after a long layoff :yawn: I expect a better effort in game 2.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 7.45.52 AM.png

The mark of a great team is being able to bounce back after a loss. 18-0 after a loss in the playoffs is absolutely insane. I'm expecting a much tighter game tomorrow and for Tampa to come out firing right out of the gate. Survive the first period tied or ahead and I like the Rangers' chances to take tomorrow's game too.

Last edited:
I'm not saying panic yet, but Game 3 is a must-win, as is Game 4 for that matter.

I agree completely. Hopefully they can turn things around at home. So far, the Lightning have looked slow and sloppy with very little offensive zone time. Certainly getting Brayden Point back would help, but that alone won't change the results.

The Sunday game is before my bedtime, so I will be tuning in. Can’t remember watching a Lightning game and them losing, so game 3 must be a cinch! :tup:

Rooting for my homeboy Kakko though, hahah!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom