Life's too damn short, use the good chips!! (6 Viewers)

Mel,
So sorry to hear you and your friends were in this horrible accident but thankful that all of you survived.
Wishing all of you a speedy and full recovery.
Best,
Tuna

Thank you to everyone for your comments and lovely messages via PM. Please don’t give up on me if I haven’t responded yet. I am very tired, and will try to get back to more people tomorrow. I don’t have a ton of stamina yet, and get worn out pretty easily.

Thank you for all the love!!

Every day is a gift and you never know what tomorrow holds. Prayers to you and your friends for a speedy and full recovery.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad that you and your friends are alright!
It’s so easy to take things for granted, but nothing is guaranteed, especially tomorrow.
It really helps you focus on what’s truly important.
Wishing you and your friends a speedy recovery!

have to share a quick story with you!

I am getting in the car soon to drive to Seattle for Thanksgiving (I am a little frightened of this task, but I have to do it). I am going to Seattle to spend Thanksgiving with Morgan, we have a LOT to be thankful for.

As I am packing up for the week, I get a text from Morgan. “Can you bring some cards and chips? I want you to teach me how to play poker while you are here”.

Yes!!!!!

Almost shed a tear when I saw the car. I couldn't imagine what ya'll went through waiting. SO sorry this happened, very happy you came out on the other end.

have to share a quick story with you!

I am getting in the car soon to drive to Seattle for Thanksgiving (I am a little frightened of this task, but I have to do it). I am going to Seattle to spend Thanksgiving with Morgan, we have a LOT to be thankful for.

As I am packing up for the week, I get a text from Morgan. “Can you bring some cards and chips? I want you to teach me how to play poker while you are here”.

Yes!!!!!
Calling it now: she’ll be a PCFer within 6 months. :tup:

Mel, glad to hear you're still in mostly one piece! Life is definitely way too short to leave anything, including your chips, on the shelf.

HFS, Mel! Can't even imagine what it took to turn a G-Wagon into that, friggin terrifying. So glad you and your friends all survived, I know the road to recovery is rough, sending healing and hopeful thoughts to all of you - I'll pull out some goodies around here to help out Morgan a bit.

Wow, Mel. So sorry to hear this, but I am glad you and the others in the car survived. Wishing everyone a speedy and full recovery. Stay strong.

Yikes! Really sorry to hear this Mel.. sounds very scary. Glad you are recovering!
I'll shoot you a PM.

I've worked in EMS for a long time, and have pulled a lot of people out of cars. I'm not religious but some of these people have to had an angel looking over them because there's no way some of these people should have survived. New cars have definitely increased survivability, so it's awesome you guys appeared to be in one this time around. Wishing all the best towards ya'lls recovery!

I once started a thread asking what's your best set that you won't felt. I have recently learned that this is just a really really dumb question. There is no guarantee of tomorrow, so use your best damn chips!!

Three weeks ago, I was in a TERRIBLE car accident. There were 4 of us in the car, and two people ended up with fractured spines among a whole host of other injuries. I (passenger) was the luckiest one of all of us, with just some vision loss, a bad concussion, a few cuts, some massive deep bruising (which still hurts in my clavicle/ribs/chest area), and a lifetime of PTSD and therapy in my future. The accident happened on a very rural road, at 1:30am, and if it wasn't for the on-star system calling 911, we probably wouldn't be alive today. We ended up so far off the road, that the first responders had trouble finding us, and we waited for aid to show up for about an hour, all in complete shock, freezing cold, with the car turned on it's side, we were unable to move and not sure if we would survive. It was EASILY the scariest moments of my life.

Watching the body cameras from the first responders, several of them commented, "I have no idea how ANY of them are alive....". It was bad, y'all. I am thankful to have spotty memory about the hour we waited and the hours that followed.

Anyways, one of my best friends was in the car, and she has suffered major injuries. She had spine surgery, and was extremely lucky to not be paralyzed. She's not out of the woods yet, as she may have to have another spine surgery, that would be much riskier than the first. She is currently recovering at home, but needs help with just about everything, including getting out of bed, etc. She is fairly new to the area so she doesn't have a lot of family or friend support here, so I'm really trying hard to help her as much as I can -- while I'm trying to recover myself.

I'm going to be selling a few things in the coming weeks, both to help her and to help pay for some of my own related expenses too. First up, will probably be an auction for some Tiger sec $1s.

If anyone has a few extra bucks laying around and wants to help out my friend Morgan, with a DoorDash meal, or a few bucks to help pay the dog walker (she probably won't be able to walk her own dog for next 6 months while her spine heals, and she lives in an apartment), or whatever, I'd be forever grateful. I'm doing what I can to help her, but could use a little extra support for her. Please feel free to PM me if you want to help, and I'll provide her info (just don't want to post it publicly here).

Here's the car that they pulled us out of. Except it was on it's side when we were in it. This is after they took 5 hours to remove it from where it was so they could tow it away. I'm so f*cking lucky to be alive. I'm never going to be the same. I feel ruined, but I'm going to live the rest of my life with purpose. There must be SOME reason I am still here.

tl/dr:
1) Don't save your best chips for "someday"...use them today, as there may not be a tomorrow.
2) If you love someone, tell them.
3) Life could be gone in the blink of an eye. Don't wait to do the things you want to do. Do them now.

View attachment 1227243
Holy crap Mel? Just saw this. Check your texts.

Mel,

I went through a similar experience in April. My son was in the backseat when my friend fell asleep at the wheel. I thank the heavens every day that we made it out of that wreck. I'm moved by your story, and I'm thankful that you and your friends survived such a harrowing experience. Your resilience and strength are admirable. It's heartening to see your commitment to helping your friend during her recovery, and your perspective on life's fragility serves as a powerful reminder for us all. My wife gets annoyed by it at times but I often repeat the same phrase to her for good reason - Consider the possibility that we don’t come home at the end of the day. Tomorrow isn't promised. Live with this awareness. Much of what we stress over is inconsequential.

I wish you and your friend a steady and full recovery. Stay strong, you got this!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom