Learning Omaha Hi/Low? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
We started introducing orbits of Crazy Pineapple into our home game last month which has been a lot of fun. Last night one of our players attempted to teach the table Omaha with a face up hand. People's brains melted. I think I half got it - anyone have a decent resource for an Omaha beginner? Thx!

The mechanics are pretty simple. The only differences from Hold'Em are a) you have four hole cards, and b) you must use exactly any two of those four cards to make your hand.

So a lot more card combos to consider, and thus stronger hands are typically needed to win.

Imo, the best way to learn the mechanics (not strategy) is to play free online.

BTW I found this site - play money Omaha.

1677859711907.png

- anyone have a decent resource for an Omaha beginner?
My experience, and what help me become so good at Omaha, was to shove every hand for about 1.5 years. When it's all said and done you get to realize why you lost and why that was a bad decision. I figure it's been about a $30k lesson plan.

Flash forward several years and I can now tell you before the hole cards flip over why I've lost.

High cards are better. :)

Edit: Thread changed to hi/lo, high cards no longer necessarily better. :unsure:

Last edited:
My experience, and what help me become so good at Omaha, was to shove every hand for about 1.5 years. When it's all said and done you get to realize why you lost and why that was a bad decision. I figure it's been about a $30k lesson plan.

Flash forward several years and I can now tell you before the hole cards flip over why I've lost.
This is why we love you.

Sounds like youve fully mastered the game.

I think that site is just "plain" Omaha not Hi/Low. Anyone know of a site that offers play money (free) Hi/Low?

I followed the same plan, except the amount paid was much larger……

PokerStars has NLO8, but that means some stupid jams pre with play chips.

We started introducing orbits of Crazy Pineapple into our home game last month which has been a lot of fun. Last night one of our players attempted to teach the table Omaha with a face up hand. People's brains melted. I think I half got it - anyone have a decent resource for an Omaha beginner? Thx!
Beginners always welcome at the animal house……

875A4147-3F86-41C8-95C4-AFB4C3F7D9F7.png

https://www.pokernow.club/

This site is private games you can run with your friends for play money in cash or tournaments. It offers hold’em, PLO and PLO8 game formats. It will show what your made hand is if you have a qualifying low.

My local players use this site to play online together several nights per week. No cost to use the site.

For some people, it might take really getting punched in the face in order to recognize the importance of moving their head (and for some, it might take more punches than for others)... :D (re: knowing what to go/stay in with)

Worse comes to worst, grab a deck and deal out 4-6 hands and play it out - over and over and over... :)

Next thing you know, you'll be ready for double board bomb pot crazy pineapple PLO8... :D

I think that site is just "plain" Omaha not Hi/Low. Anyone know of a site that offers play money (free) Hi/Low?
I think the pokerrrr2 app has hi lo. There’s a 2+2 book on hi lo that’s good for the basics. Are you going to play plo8 or limit o8?

This guy was my omaha hi lo resource lol. He just taught me today, and we played about 10-15 hands.

I'm for sure not one to comment on any strategy or anything like that, but the best way to learn is just deal it out and keep trying to play, preferably with someone who knows it. Here is a concise PLO8 link that explains the game pretty well, imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom