Cash Game Is not being able to open 2.5x with equal SB and BB (0.25c/0.25c) an issue? (1 Viewer)

I might argue it's more important to think it terms of getting it all in the on the river in tournaments, but only because inevitably tournaments become shallow by design. It's the only way to eliminate all but one player in the end. Earlier in tournaments if stacks are deep I can understand a goal of "getting as may chips as in as possible" in certain positions whether or not that's actually all-in.

On the other hand, one of my major belief in tournaments is protecting chips is more important than gaining chips (especially once "in the money") so I probably seek fewer spots in which I am looking to play for stacks unless I am already short-stacked.

This could be a whole other thread :p.
I had an even longer write up originally, but I'll try to summarize haha.

I think what you said about tournament strategy really only universally applies to freezeout tournaments, which are not really the norm anymore. It's going to vary how deep you are. What your rebuy or re-registration options are, bounties, etc. In many MTT structures, chipping up early means going for stacks.

I think modern tournament play equates closely to short stack, min buy in cash play. Narrow range, trappy, commit stacks when you know you're ahead, even if it's a slight favorite in a coin flip.

So Yes, you should be trying to play for stacks in a deep stack cash game if your goal is to profit as much as possible.
This final point, I can digest.
Most of the GTO talk flies over my head - I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t want to hear it. But I still can’t agree that getting all your chips in by the river is a valid deep stack tournament strategy, simply because deep stack torments go through phases. You adapt your style and your strategies to where you and your opponents are in the tournament - 500 blinds has to play different than 100 blinds, which has to play differently than 40 blinds, which has to play differently before, during, and after the bubble. Or at least that’s what I think.

I think what you said about tournament strategy really only universally applies to freezeout tournaments, which are not really the norm anymore. It's going to vary how deep you are. What your rebuy or re-registration options are, bounties, etc. In many MTT structures, chipping up early means going for stacks.
It is true the presence of re-entry options can change the beginning of a tournament. However, every tournament does have a freezeout portion. That is the characteristic of a tournament that at some point when you lose all your chips, you can't get back in.

GTO is maximizing profit if your opponents are approaching playing optimally... and have the capability to adjust their play to yours. If you are playing against opponents that are not observant, playing in a way that is exploitable will get you maximum profits. i.e. If they won't exploit you, play in a manner that is exploitable.
I see your point. But there are people who enjoy (it's their fun) a focus on maxing profit by approaching GTO. One can get too focused on that and play suboptimally.

This final point, I can digest.
Most of the GTO talk flies over my head - I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t want to hear it. But I still can’t agree that getting all your chips in by the river is a valid deep stack tournament strategy, simply because deep stack torments go through phases. You adapt your style and your strategies to where you and your opponents are in the tournament - 500 blinds has to play different than 100 blinds, which has to play differently than 40 blinds, which has to play differently before, during, and after the bubble. Or at least that’s what I think.
Broad strategy vs focused strategy, perhaps. Situational though, right?
If I can get into a hand with the nuts against an opponent that is willing to risk their whole stack...
Then I don't mind what stage of a tournament I'm in.

Broad strategy vs focused strategy, perhaps. Situational though, right?
If I can get into a hand with the nuts against an opponent that is willing to risk their whole stack...
Then I don't mind what stage of a tournament I'm in.
Well poker is super easy if the plan is just make the nuts:).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom