Cash Game Looking for advice on running a two table cash game (1 Viewer)

Freeroll

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been running a bi-weekly cash game for about two years now. The way I've been doing it is: the main table has a dealer (my wife) and a shuffletech mounted in the table, and the second table is a self-dealt, self-shuffle table.

Until now, I've been incentivizing players to get here on time by having everyone that gets here before 7:00pm (game start time) is either guaranteed to be at the main table, or if too many are here on time, then the on time players draw numbers and the lowest numbers are at the main table, and the next lowest numbers are first to be moved to the main table, when the tables need to be balanced.

Lately, I've been getting more and more complaints about how some players don't like that they aren't guaranteed to be at the dealer table. I understand these players frustrations, because some of them tip my wife (dealer) very well and they see others that have an equal chance to draw the main table, that don't really tip at all.

Also, I have one player that's been playing here since I first started the game, 2 years ago, that always gets here 15 minutes late. He's a great guy and never misses a game and always tips my wife well, and is a great guy all around. I don't want to punish this player any more than I already do, with the current rules, so I don't want to lower the amount of players at the 2nd table, so they are always playing short handed.

I was thinking about maybe capping the 2nd table at 6 players, until the main table is full. Just looking for any input or advice anyone might have.

Thanks.

Make the main table always be 8 handed minimum. If you get to 12 don’t go to 6/6 etc.

Fill the first table as normal. Once there are enough people for a second table only take from the main table down to 8.

How do you invite your players? Have them RSVP for the game. First 8 to RSVP and show up on time get the first 8 seats at the main table. If they are late for the start of the game then they will be at the second table.

I invite players by adding them to my private facebook group and posting about the game there. I post a list and people that are going to play put their name on the list.

Get a second dealer. First come first serve for tables. Or once your 14+ folks show up, draw cards...table 1 is red table 2 is black. Tables have to Stay fairly balanced

And fill back to the main table based on order of arrival. So those that got pulled from the main table to help start the second table get first option to move back to the main table.

With this system you need to let everyone know it is really a 1 table game that is the feature. The second table is only if there is enough players to get it going but will be sacrificed to keep the main table full.

Get a cheap shuffler and a good friend (not necessarily the same person each time) as dedicated dealer for the 2nd table. Solved. :)

How would you deal with players showing up unannounced? Do you accommodate 10-ring if you only planned for 9?

Also, what if some RSVP and establish they can only arrive an hour after the game starts? Again, some people might jump the RSVP queue and arrive early and unannounced. Do you make them sit out?

How would you deal with players showing up unannounced? Do you accommodate 10-ring if you only planned for 9?

Also, what if some RSVP and establish they can only arrive an hour after the game starts? Again, some people might jump the RSVP queue and arrive early and unannounced. Do you make them sit out?
I was wondering something similar... If you have something like 12 people confirmed. But only 9 are there when the game is supposed to start, with no word from the other players... How many tables do you start with?

Do you split the players into 2 tables and fill in as people (hopefully) arrive? Do you start with 1 table and swap to 2 once 1-2 more show up? What if you have a lot of people that are unreliable and might show up an hour or more late without warning?

It's the price folks pay for not communicating their intentions better. First come first served. Anyone showing late will be on the stand by list. Rsvp is good but also only holds a seat if you can be on time. Good luck finding out what works best for you.

It sounds like you're already being pretty fair here and it's kinda sad that players are complaining about hospitality. I do like the idea of an RSVP/first come first serve system. Players who RSVP and show up on time get to sit at the table in the order they RSVP. If a player who RSVP and is late forfeits their seat to the next RSVP in line and then if there are no more of those players you go to a true first come first serve system.

It sounds like you're already being pretty fair here and it's kinda sad that players are complaining about hospitality.
Absolutely. The system is fair and is known in advance. Sounds like OP puts on a great show, and a small number of players are whining that they don't get exactly what they want, 100% of the time they play.

Tips are supposed to be a voluntary show of appreciation, not a way for more generous / deep-pocketed players to bribe the house to kick other players out of their seats. It's frankly offensive that anyone is trying to push this.

I do like the idea of an RSVP/first come first serve system. Players who RSVP and show up on time get to sit at the table in the order they RSVP. If a player who RSVP and is late forfeits their seat to the next RSVP in line and then if there are no more of those players you go to a true first come first serve system.
I think this would be slightly better than the current system.

However, the current system is already good and fair, but the "BuT I tIp SoOoO MuCh!" crowd is whining anyway because what they want is their way, all the time. I'm not sure this would solve that.

No one is entitled to special main-table consideration because they tip more than others. Tell the whiners those are the rules and they can deal with it.

I deal with unannounced players by giving them a seat, if one is open, but if the list is full up to the 20 player max, then they would have to give up their seat when all the players who RSVP'ed arrive

I like the idea of 1st to RSVP gets first seat choice. However, calling ahead in a card room doesn't let you bump anyone, so early arrivals should also be offered priority. In my cash games, I put up a dry-erase board and players sign up for the table they prefer.

However, it is also your house, your rules. If someone is tipping very well, I see no issue with them getting a table (but not necessarily a seat) preference. I would simply be up front about it. "Mrs Freeroll would prefer player X at her table - happy wife, happy life".

I know that a lot of my tips in Vegas are less about "good service" and more about getting what I want.
  • I tip the valet when I arrive, and they keep my car up front (when that's an actual option). When I leave I don't have to wait, zero chance of a door ding, and there are eyes on my car at all times.
  • Tipping when checking into a room has often given me a room upgrade. $100 tip for a massive suite vs a standard room for 3 nights? No-brainer.
  • Tipping at a strip club entrance is the difference between sitting near the stage or sitting mid-room.
  • Tipping when arriving unannounced at a restaurant is the difference between "the wait time is about an hour", and "your reservation is good Mr Jackson".
Tips are supposed to be a reward for excellent service. Make no mistake, they also serve a secondary function.

I like the idea of 1st to RSVP gets first seat choice. However, calling ahead in a card room doesn't let you bump anyone, so early arrivals should also be offered priority. In my cash games, I put up a dry-erase board and players sign up for the table they prefer.

However, it is also your house, your rules. If someone is tipping very well, I see no issue with them getting a table (but not necessarily a seat) preference. I would simply be up front about it. "Mrs Freeroll would prefer player X at her table - happy wife, happy life".

I know that a lot of my tips in Vegas are less about "good service" and more about getting what I want.
  • I tip the valet when I arrive, and they keep my car up front (when that's an actual option). When I leave I don't have to wait, zero chance of a door ding, and there are eyes on my car at all times.
  • Tipping when checking into a room has often given me a room upgrade. $100 tip for a massive suite vs a standard room for 3 nights? No-brainer.
  • Tipping at a strip club entrance is the difference between sitting near the stage or sitting mid-room.
  • Tipping when arriving unannounced at a restaurant is the difference between "the wait time is about an hour", and "your reservation is good Mr Jackson".
Tips are supposed to be a reward for excellent service. Make no mistake, they also serve a secondary function.
Tips may also help the "maitre d' hotel" shut up and avoid future lines like "this new blond look suits your lady perfectly" :cool
:)

A friend of mine visited, for summer vacations, his village (on a remote Aegean island) in year X accompanied by a Swiss blond girlfriend, whom he introduced to his aunts.

One year later, accompanied by a new Greek girlfriend, also blond, he went to his island village and aunts again.
The girl received the line (by the aunts): "sweetheart, how fast can you be at learning Greek!"
:)

As mentioned, it seems like you are trying to be as fair as possible. At my 1 table cash game, I always give an incentives of extra "free" chips to their starting stacks for the next session. I only invite my 8 regulars, and if some are not available, I back fill with my spare list. My table is always full. All my regulars, and spares (14 players) play at each others home games, so we all get along and have no issues with spare lists.
#1 incentive is whoever had the highest hand of the evening.

Perhaps you can try something similar, by having incentives Ie: the top 3 money winners from each table a guaranteed seat at the main table for the next sitting.
That gives you 6 at the main table automatically, and you can fill the remaining seats by whichever other method you choose.
Regardless of the table that they are at, they will have an incentive to play well, to assure a spot at the main table the next time.

Good Luck

As mentioned, it seems like you are trying to be as fair as possible. At my 1 table cash game, I always give an incentives of extra "free" chips to their starting stacks for the next session. I only invite my 8 regulars, and if some are not available, I back fill with my spare list. My table is always full. All my regulars, and spares (14 players) play at each others home games, so we all get along and have no issues with spare lists.

Perhaps you can try something similar, by having incentives Ie: the top 3 money winners from each table a guaranteed seat at the main table for the next sitting.
That gives you 6 at the main table automatically, and you can fill the remaining seats by whichever other method you choose.
Regardless of the table that they are at, they will have an incentive to play well, to assure a spot at the main table the next time.

Good Luck
Free chips in a cash game? I've seen incentives for tournaments. Cash means you're funding them to show up??

Kudos for weaponizing your wife....that does not happend often

Free chips in a cash game? I've seen incentives for tournaments. Cash means you're funding them to show up??
It's not substancial...2-3 BB's lol...I have my regulars each session, so it' all in good fun.. No one gets rich or poor at the 4.5 hour session $0.25 BB I'm sure I can afford the 3 BB's. I also offer drink on the house and light snacks...The others do the same at their games. Many bring their own drinks or fill the fridge.
I was trying to add an idea to the OP that incentives may be a way of filling the main table.

It's not substancial...2-3 BB's lol...I have my regulars each session, so it' all in good fun.. No one gets rich or poor at the 4.5 hour session $0.25 BB I'm sure I can afford the 3 BB's. I also offer drink on the house and light snacks...The others do the same at their games. Many bring their own drinks or fill the fridge.
I was trying to add an idea to the OP that incentives may be a way of filling the main table.
I used to do something similar to "seed" the cash game following our end of the year tournament. 25¢-25¢, $3 free to start. Payouts were rounded down to the nearest $5 increment, 2 years running, I came out even.

This will be the first year I don't seed the cash game. Probably 25% of the players didn't care about the free $3, and would just take off after they were eliminated. So this year no freebie, but every dollar will be paid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom