Is it morally and/or ethically wrong to sell marijuana in a state where it is illegal to do so? (1 Viewer)

Is it morally and/or ethically wrong to sell marijuana in a state where it is illegal to do so?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 72.3%

• Total voters

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
A slightly different question first arose in a home game I played in the other night, but eventually we began discussing this one.

I do have a small side bet with a non-forum member as to the outcome of this vote (as well as an identical poll he is running on Twitter), but I won't say which side I took so as to not affect the results.

I voted no because this countrys morals are so out whack in 2016, who gives a shit about weed, honestly

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
people have spoken loud and clear on this issue. It's not like when adults didn't know the difference between Weed and heroin it was all dope to them. People understand now that marijuana is all natural God made it because he loves us and wants us to be happy

A slightly different question first arose in a home game I played in the other night, but eventually we began discussing this one.

You guys were discussing the moral/ethical attributes of marijuana sales, while playing in a (most likely) illegal poker game?

Now this is some funny shit right here.

:D;):):sneaky::coffee:

People understand now that marijuana is all natural God made it because he loves us and wants us to be happy

Dig the pr0n, but that's not a very sound argument in favor of marijuana. There are plenty of natural things I wouldn't care to see more of.

You guys were discussing the moral/ethical attributes of marijuana sales, while playing in a (most likely) illegal poker game?

Now this is some funny shit right here.

:D;):):sneaky::coffee:

Yeah believe me, that point was made loud and clear. I was a little surprised it had no effect on a couple people's opinions, but I suppose some people's views are just too rigid on the subject.

I voted Yes because IMO it is ethically wrong to do something illegal.......Doesn't mean I haven't done anything illegal before though. I don't really care one way or the other though

I voted Yes because IMO it is ethically wrong to do something illegal.......Doesn't mean I haven't done anything illegal before though. I don't really care one way or the other though

I don't agree that it's always 100% of the time ethically wrong to do something illegal.

If someone has a dog in their car on a 90 degree day and the windows closed and the dog is suffering and the owner is nowhere in sight, it's illegal for me to punch the window out but ethically probably correct.

I don't agree that it's always 100% of the time ethically wrong to do something illegal.

If someone has a dog in their car on a 90 degree day and the windows closed and the dog is suffering and the owner is nowhere in sight, it's illegal for me to punch the window out but ethically probably correct.

touche

I would be right behind with a hammer just in case your fist didn't get the job done

Wouldn't that be morally right but ethically wrong? Or am I just splitting hairs?

I voted Yes because IMO it is ethically wrong to do something illegal...

Ethics are entirely unrelated to law imo. It often happens that laws codify ethical principals, but to say that we should form our sense of ethics around law is backward imo. It also seems to imply that the state has some kind of inherent moral or ethical authority.

IMO the state has no such authority and to try to grant it such authority works to undermine society's understanding of self-government.

Wouldn't that be morally right but ethically wrong? Or am I just splitting hairs?

Ethics are standards set by society, but not necessarily by government, though we could easily get into the weeds on this point.

Not enough info to vote yes or no.

For exampe: It would be morally wrong to sell it to a three year old, but probably not morally wrong where the buyer has a genuine medical need for it etc etc

Ethics are entirely unrelated to law imo. It often happens that laws codify ethical principals, but to say that we should form our sense of ethics around law is backward imo. It also seems to imply that the state has some kind of inherent moral or ethical authority.

IMO the state has no such authority and to try to grant it such authority works to undermine society's understanding of self-government.

Ethics are standards set by society, but not necessarily by government, though we could easily get into the weeds on this point.

Well just for my own info just I went and looked up the definitions and morals and ethics are more synonymous than I previously thought. I agree with your statements above about laws forming morals...however aren't many of our laws based off of our morals for the most part.

damn it I knew when I replied to a jbutler thread that I would get into a debate and have to try to type on damn phone

Reactions: H|Q
Depends on the lens in which one views ethics. A deontological approach would skew more towards the "wrongness" of selling an illegal drug. A utilitarian ideology, on the other hand, would be more results driven and focus on the fact that this action wouldn't generally be a detriment to society. I tend to align more closely with the greater good, so I don't view your scenario as morally or ethically wrong.

Well just for my own info just I went and looked up the definitions and morals and ethics are more synonymous than I previously thought. I agree with your statements above about laws forming morals...however aren't many of our laws based off of our morals for the most part.

Agreed that lost of laws are based on our morals to some degree, but again we're looking at it backward. An act is not immoral because it's illegal. However sometimes an act is illegal because it's immoral. The same can be said with regard to ethics imo.

Also, unrelated to this thread, but definitely semi-related. We have a guy in our game who would argue with a wall if you didnt engage in conversation with him. Whether it be sports related arguments where there can never be a clear argument winner (best player of all time, those type of radio show debates) or whether it be political related, the guy does not stop.

The good news is that he tends to spew when hes in a heated debate, at least once per game I will spark up some idiotic topic I saw soccer moms talking about on Facebook just to ensue his spewiness.

Good for the game, bad for my headache by nights end, though.

Also, unrelated to this thread, but definitely semi-related. We have a guy in our game who would argue with a wall if you didnt engage in conversation with him. Whether it be sports related arguments where there can never be a clear argument winner (best player of all time, those type of radio show debates) or whether it be political related, the guy does not stop.

That's the last time I play at Andrew's game.

Morally wrong - no. However, if your client appears to have developed a problem due to your product, then yes.

We know that pot is addictive (psychologically), so the seller should have a moral obligation to be at least somewhat aware of his client's obligation.

For the record, my morals - what is right and what is wrong - is based on the concept of "does it harm anyone or interfere with their happiness". An illegal poker game - morally sound, but if you have a guest that you know cannot afford to donk off their buy-in, it would be immoral to invite that person.

Oddly, passing laws that indicate marijuana/poker should be illegal, are immoral by my standard.

Weed was legal when our nation was founded . Some nitwits made a bad law based on misinformation . That law will soon be removed. Thousands die every year from legal cigarettes with all kinds of chemicals in them . Zero pot deaths ... Ever . Pretty strong reason for weed to be legal moral and ethical

I think this is becoming legal in a lot of states.

Morally wrong - no. However, if your client appears to have developed a problem due to your product, then yes.

We know that pot is addictive (psychologically), so the seller should have a moral obligation to be at least somewhat aware of his client's obligation.

For the record, my morals - what is right and what is wrong - is based on the concept of "does it harm anyone or interfere with their happiness". An illegal poker game - morally sound, but if you have a guest that you know cannot afford to donk off their buy-in, it would be immoral to invite that person.

Oddly, passing laws that indicate marijuana/poker should be illegal, are immoral by my standard.

I agree with this. The law is more unethical than the crime when it comes to illegal pot sale.

Selling pot may be a poor life decision depending on what your options in life are, and what you have to lose, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me it's unethical.

New president will make it happen immediately

Absolutely, this whole stupid fucking issue that costs this country ungodly amounts of money and energy will be put to rest much, much sooner than 100 years from now. When I first became aware of how 99% of everything I had heard about weed from DARE was either sensationalized or an outright lie I knew weed would be legal at some point in my life; admittedly I thought it would be when I was way older, but I knew society wouldn't go on ruining peoples lives and clogging our court systems with laws built on stupidity from a time we don't live in anymore. Obama lied through his teeth about his intentions towards Federal marijuana regulations but that won't go on forever, at some point in the near future marijuana will be decriminalized and regulate. The tax revenue alone could be enough to turn the tide to regulation (which is undeniable), but also lucky for us stupid ideas are dying with old politicians and the alcohol/tobacco/pharmaceutical lobby isn't the firearms lobby so they won't have the luxury of denying what the majority of Americans feel.

I used to grow medical marijuana up here (100% legal under state law, under numbers we were granted at all times) that would be sold at dispensaries, at the peak I had 65 5' plants under 20k watts of light between the red and blue room. For the majority of people out there who don't know how much pot that amount of plants produce when grown by knowledgeable people using quality stuff the technical term would be a shhhhiiiiiittttt ton. At that time even though it was legal under our states law the vast majority of banks wouldn't touch funds from a collective, nor was there any way to pay taxes. I knew collective owners that were BEGGING to pay taxes on hundreds of thousands of dollars just so they could have somewhere to put it and not have to live in fear of getting their doors kicked in by the feds or rippers while acting legally under state law. That is madness and it's the type of shit that is becoming harder and harder to justify in our changing world. Washington now has regulated recreational marijuana (think of it as beer or tobacco) and the tax money and commerce of a product in demand has moved the majority of even the most adamant of people against it to look at the issue from a new perspective. To them, other than not getting their way a second time when the state moved towards recreational from medical, life hasn't changed much except the coffers of cities where pot is sold is being lined even more and at the very least new revenue is something that will motivate them. It's still not perfect, and in all honesty I voted against recreational regulation because I wasn't 100% sold on the entirety of the law, but it is a fuuuuck ton better than people days/weeks/months/lives being ruined for a plant that is less harmful than a lot of stuff we have no problem with in our every day life. The rest of the country will follow suit in the relatively near future.

I have way more respect for a person that has wildly different political views than me than I ever would for anybody that could look at a list of schedule 1 drugs and not see ignorance at close to it's highest form.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom