Is everyone going broke here or am I a donk??? (1 Viewer)

part of the justification is that it is in an in-the-money final table situation where you are the shortest of 7 stacks and therefore icm hurts everyone else more than you. you are MORE incentivized to gamble your way up than other potentially gambling their way down to your chip position or busted. if you were more in the middle of the stacks, you'd be unwilling to risk even one BB. you could get a mathematical answer by calculating the chip EV of playing J9s in this spot vs how much cash equity is at stake, but intuitively i at least know you are less at risk than the other stacks. I also can't tell you how much this would be +/- spot when you run that (the authority required) but it is a solvable problem.

it's also important you can fold post flop and still have enough bb to force say, blinds to fold when you get the button and it's folded to you. an argument might be 12 bb or whatever you have if you check fold flop is no longer enough, and therefore that 1bb you called wasn't worth it. but I would still call in this specific spot.
The hand plays well. You should defend a lot vs chip leaders, especially with a shortstack. They will make calls that will double you up and put you back in.

You are in the money, but you don't have to protect your stack since you're last. If you were second in chips the hand would be defended and played more passively to avoid busting. As you grow shorter you want to be more agressive with your flopped pairs/draws to leverage the fold equity your short stack still has.

J9s plays well as a defend even oop but works really bad as a shove when called because you will get called lighter by hands like JT and QJ by chip leaders if they have any form of knowledge about icm and ranges you should have.

In his spot i'm opening almost 65-70% of hands, so I will defend with a decent range vs a shortstack shove who should be shoving all A high
I appreciate the well thought out replies.
Personally I still think the chances of letting one of those guys bust out ahead of you is almost enough for a fold, again given the stack sizes. We’re right around that 20bb area where a double-up is ideal, but we almost have enough to screw around with a hand like this and we almost don’t have enough to waste a big blind on long odds. Point is, I think it’s very close.
I guess I’m:
Fold pre
Jam pre
Flat then fold or jam
Like I am said, I don’t think there are any wrong answers here, but I don’t think any answer is the obvious only way to go.

I appreciate the well thought out replies.
Personally I still think the chances of letting one of those guys bust out ahead of you is almost enough for a fold, again given the stack sizes. We’re right around that 20bb area where a double-up is ideal, but we almost have enough to screw around with a hand like this and we almost don’t have enough to waste a big blind on long odds. Point is, I think it’s very close.
I guess I’m:
Fold pre
Jam pre
Flat then fold or jam
Like I am said, I don’t think there are any wrong answers here, but I don’t think any answer is the obvious only way to go.
There are wrong answers:
Fold and Shove :p

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is to be result oriented. What's important in poker is the process and here you played it well.

The only moment I would fold in this spot is in live tournaments vs old nits who only raise super strong hands and limp stuff like TT JJ 'cause they're scared of overcards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom