Is a recession coming? Sell stocks? (1 Viewer)

Real estate and stocks are not for everyone. I know people that invest in cars, watches and all sorts of things. It ultimately comes down to understanding your investment strategies. That said, anyone one here can put in the time and understand how to invest in stocks or real estate.

For what it's worth. I've also found tax attorneys and accountants worth every penny. Setting up a Solo 401k and understanding all the retirement tools gives you a huge advantage. My two cents.

Reactions: BNM
The corona virus has already seriously affected international shipping (Chinese factories, shipyards and ports shut down) and will certainly seriously affect, at least till summer comes (when the virus is said to be neutralised) international tourism also.
Not the end of the world, but probably buy some gold (or disinfectants and food) on the short term, if you 're overexposed in stocks.:D

Buy low, sell high! Opportunities may be out there...if you survive! Gold is good and is a physical, hard currency Bitcoin - accepted everywhere!

Last edited:
From August last year, when I started this thread, up to last week my portfolio was up 40%. Today it's still up 26%.

I expect the market to recover this year. Had I sold in August, I would have missed out on the 26%, sitting on cash so I think I made the right decision. In any case, I'm in for the long term so I have to shrug off these bumps, despite the red numbers trying to catch my attention!

The corona virus has already seriously affected international shipping (Chinese factories, shipyards and ports shut down) and will certainly seriously affect, at least till summer comes (when the virus is said to be neutralised) international tourism also.
Not the end of the world, but probably buy some gold (or disinfectants and food) on the short term, if you 're overexposed in stocks.:D

If shipping/transport, oil and tourism are getting hammered, isn’t hard the time to buy them (low), so that when they rally in the summer/when the pandemic is over you will see significant gains? Not against gold, though!

Wait till they really come down.
Athens Stock Exchange was down 9% today, but it (Greece) is a country heavily dependent on shipping and tourism.

Reactions: BNM
From August last year, when I started this thread, up to last week my portfolio was up 40%. Today it's still up 26%.

I expect the market to recover this year. Had I sold in August, I would have missed out on the 26%, sitting on cash so I think I made the right decision. In any case, I'm in for the long term so I have to shrug off these bumps, despite the red numbers trying to catch my attention!

Well done to stay with the market. Even when reallocating to more conservative options, or holding more cash for future buying opportunities, staying with the market seems like the best option. No one perfectly times the market, and most hedge funds go bust, so if you can pull that type of return for any length of time you are crushing it.

Wait till they really come down.
Athens Stock Exchange was down 9% today, but it (Greece) is a country heavily dependent on shipping and tourism.

Certainly averaging in is an option, and waiting till things trade sideways for a bit is good for indicating a bottom, but you can’t predict where the bottom will be so back to fundamentals! Lots of excellent value stocks out there with reasonable p/e and dividends that will get even better with this. Lots of hyper-inflated stocks out there, too. Interesting times!

I 'm not a financial expert and I have had twice a devastating and traumatic experience with the fragile Greek economy (both "blue chip, institutional" - my ass- mutual funds AND government bonds), being a stupid loyal, patriotic citizen.
A little gold, a few poker chips :D , and some Euros in banks of stronger-economy EU countries (where I anyway lived and worked) for me now, slowly reaching the end of my productive (or any) life.:)

My 2c on Corona:

tldr: short term bad for us, long term bad for China.

1. It is totally messing up supply chains all over the world. China doesn't just make a lot of stuff, it makes most (and sometimes all) of the stuff that other countries use to make their stuff. For example, my employer manufactures circuit boards here in the USA, but all of the component parts come from China, and many of those parts were backlogged 12 months even before Corona hit and production completely stopped. Look for panic buying, price spikes, profiteering, and chaos once the supply restarts. Particularly amongst firms with JIT systems.

2. Between trade disputes, rising costs, Hong Kong protests, international aggression, internal oppression and now, Corona; more firms will be looking away from China for offshore manufacturing. This will be slow to start, but accelerates over time.

3. Flights to Taiwan are awfully cheap right now! Anyone know a good place to eat in Taipei?

If you’re trying to time the market (a bad idea to begin with) you’re already probably too late. Just hold; don’t sell what you have. If anything, buy some more on the downswing.

If you’re trying to time the market (a bad idea to begin with) you’re already probably too late. Just hold; don’t sell what you have. If anything, buy some more on the downswing.
Buy the dip, stonks only go up!

Lol, I had just started trying to use that Robinhood app a month ago after seeing all the meme stocks "going to the moon" lol.

Bought a bunch today. Let’s see where it goes.

3. Flights to Taiwan are awfully cheap right now! Anyone know a good place to eat in Taipei?

Food here is awesome. Come. Everything is so damn close too. I can get a steak at Smith and Wollenski, then walk over to get some boba tea, then if you had room and wanted some night market type food take a $3 cab ride in 7 minutes.

Or if you wanted the best sushi in the world outside a few pockets of Japan (most sushi here is better than the Japan, in my humble opinion), this is also the place.

Poker? Legal tournaments every night with big fields (although the rake is a little high). Lots of private cash games but those aren’t for strangers.

Corona hasn’t hit us as hard as other neighboring countries. Everything is open, but foot traffic for sure is down. Knock on wood it stays the same.

how is the air quality. That is the reason I never considered a teaching job on the China coast. I know there are a couple of good schools there

how is the air quality. That is the reason I never considered a teaching job on the China coast. I know there are a couple of good schools there

Air quality is not too bad for a dense Asian city. Way way better than anywhere in China or HK. Not as good as Japan. Of course it ain’t Colorado.

There are a few American schools here, yup.

Air quality is 100 times better in Taiwan than mainland China.

I lived for half a year in Beijing and a year in Shanghai, and both of those cities were pretty bad when it comes to air quality.

Spent a summer in Taiwan a few years back and it felt very different. Will go back for sure!

The majority of gains occur over only a hand full of days of the year. Selling for cash when things look bad means you could easily miss out on the gains when things recover.

Air quality is 100 times better in Taiwan than mainland China.

I lived for half a year in Beijing and a year in Shanghai, and both of those cities were pretty bad when it comes to air quality.

Spent a summer in Taiwan a few years back and it felt very different. Will go back for sure!

:tup::tup:

Super friendly to foreigners too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom