Irregular thickness of CPC large crown (2 Viewers)

I've had issues with two of my custom sets. A minor issue many years ago on a solid HH set. More recently on the Diamond Square mold on a set with shaped inlays. It is enough to bother me - Up to a half chip thickness on stacks of 20 from thinest stack to thickest. My players have commented on it.

There was not an issue on my H mold or Hourglass sets. Both chips with issues were the red chip in the set, both of which were Mandarin Red. The other sets are tourney sets and do not have a primarily red chip.

It is this issue that is making me hesitate re a Small Crown set. I'll probably order anyway, but it worries me.

Correct.

I just figured he wasn't really interested in a micrometer. For chipping purposes, a Vernier is more than sufficient, and a fraction of the cost of its digital micrometer counterpart.

But a Mike is absolutely the best instrument for measuring thickness. So OP was right there.

My large crown samples.

Now, I do believe that these were just test chips so who knows if this is really what we can expect to see or not. Hopefully there aren't height issues but I have seen and heard of issues on the diamond square mold. I'm also hoping that the scrown mold shows good results on the first run as I may or may not have plans for the second run depending the outcome.

I have a full set of scrown color samples with inlays. I'll take a look and get some measurements this afternoon.

The samples sent out did include the very first test chips so I'd expect there would be more inconsistences, especially as in production you would be loading the same color into the press for each cycle where I was just doing these randomly using up old parts.
As for thickness (or average thickness) of the finished product - these old TR King molds are not adjustable so they should come out the same thickness as they did when TR king used them which might vary a little from our other molds. Thickness is a product of the mold construction more than anything.

Thanks, @David Spragg!

I did notice that the TRK molds are slightly smaller in diameter than the other CPC molds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom