Irregular thickness of CPC large crown (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I have a stack of 10 l-crowns, and I noticed this yesterday. Quite a difference for only four chips. Anyone else experience this?

I have never handled CPCs but I have heard from people that know stuff that CPC chips will often have different heights when it comes to complete barrels.

I am following and interested to hear what people who own full sets say. What brand of racks generally fit CPC chips well?

I have never handled CPCs but I have heard from people that know stuff that CPC chips will often have different heights when it comes to complete barrels.

I am following and interested to hear what people who own full sets say. What brand of racks generally fit CPC chips well?

I just order racks from CPC. They fit perfectly.

No difference in stacks sizes with my CPC's and ASM's. Mine are H mold.

Last edited:
I also have stacks of A, jockey, circle square, and E&C, and haven’t noticed any inconsistencies.

In my experience I’ve noticed that certain runs (denoms) can have slight thickness variance. It’s not with every set, mind you.. However, overall I think that once put into play, and comingled with other chips, having the dust knocked off (so to speak), the differences become less noticeable (if at all). I don’t have experience with the crown molds with CPC.

With my fat tire tourney set, I noticed the green T25s fit snugger into the racks... but with use, the tightness has eased up. With my FT cash set, I noticed certain barrels of certain denoms were thicker than others... but when mixed together with the other 1000 chips of that particular denomination, I not longer notice any thickness issues.

As you can see, my $.25 chips were slightly thicker at first. And the white $20’s even more so... but these haven’t produced any WTF moments when put into play. I can stack barrels of quarters and $1’s next to each other now, and stack barrels on top with no tilt or lean.

Last edited:
@Trihonda, my stack has a mix of darker blues, a few light blues, and a light green. Possibly a black? The darker ones are thicker, for sure.

A-mold is very consistent in my experience. But certain colors can be a hair thicker than others as stated above (I think black is notoriously thicker). Stack height differences between denoms may vary ever so slightly but within the same denom are pretty damn near perfect...and that is really what matters.

So if you can get some of the same color L-crowns and then compare, I think that would be beneficial.

A-mold is very consistent in my experience. But certain colors can be a hair thicker than others as stated above (I think black is notoriously thicker). Stack height differences between denoms may vary ever so slightly but within the same denom are pretty damn near perfect...and that is really what matters.

So if you can get some of the same color L-crowns and then compare, I think that would be beneficial.

I agree about A mold. My Tourney set is in A Mold and is pretty dialed in.

But I do think that consistency between denoms is also important. When you’re stacking up chips in barrels, you want them to be the same as the ones next to each other. Height differences can lead to wobbly chips when stacked high, or miscounts in some instances. When the same denom has a few barrels of inconsistent heights, I think once the chips are randomized and mixed together, the differences are marginalized

I don't have much variance between my 39mm A-molds. There is a significant difference between the 39mm A-Mold vs 44 A-molds though. 44 A-molds are thicker when compared to the 39mm A-molds.
I’ve got a color sample set of the 44mm A-molds from the ASM days. They’re as thick as my PGI 8v’s.

In my experience, all CPC chips have this issue, regardless of the mold (although some are worse than others). Different colors seem to compress more/less than others somehow, but they definitely don't have the same tolerances you'd find in Paulsons. It's nice to hear others saying they don't have issues though. Maybe I've gotten unlucky.

In my experience, all CPC chips have this issue, regardless of the mold (although some are worse than others). Different colors seem to compress more/less than others somehow, but they definitely don't have the same tolerances you'd find in Paulsons. It's nice to hear others saying they don't have issues though. Maybe I've gotten unlucky.
I’ve always noticed a variance in mine, though my current set is better than the others I’ve had. I order them expecting some variance and am pleasantly surprised when it’s less than expected.

Though I did just grab some barrels and they are almost identical

Last edited:
I have a stack of 10 l-crowns, and I noticed this yesterday. Quite a difference for only four chips. Anyone else experience this? View attachment 240874

IMO, there's no way to tell if they were manufactured at the same time, and I suspect these chips were made during the testing phase of the mold. So, there may have been some kinks to work out or there wasn't the attention to consistency because that wasn't the priority at the time.

Last edited:
Are these sample chips you ordered from CPC? IMO, there's no way to tell if they were manufactured at the same time, and I suspect these chips were made during the testing phase of the mold. So, there may have been some kinks to work out or there wasn't the attention to consistency because that wasn't the priority at the time.
I assumed they were part of an initial run. They seem to be all over the place in thickness. Is it typical to join PCF and suddenly to feel compelled to acquire a micrometer?

Had no problems with thickness issues with my B molds and my E&C molds. I have heard of some potential issues with thickness on the Diamond Square mold, but I'll let others speak on that. I'm very curious to see about the S-Crown mold as well.

Perhaps @David Spragg would be able to shed some light on this.

It seems like the chips near the bottom of my last pic are the thicker ones.

Correct.

I just figured he wasn't really interested in a micrometer. For chipping purposes, a Vernier is more than sufficient, and a fraction of the cost of its digital micrometer counterpart.
Didn’t I say micrometer? I meant Vernier. Must’ve been autocorrect. :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom