Internet Speed Tests (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of internet speeds you all get. I have Verizon Fios 25/5 service but it has been much faster lately. I wonder if they upgraded my service for free because of the new plans they offer now. :confused:

2610776032.png

It's fairly decent, comcast has it's ups and downs though. It really gets annoying, but for the price I deal with it.

2615807795.jpg

This is mine. It isn't very good at all. My university is evidently trying to save money by using the cheapest possible connection.
2616005973.png

With my internet there is huge variation. One hour it is slow as hell and nothing will load, and then one hour (like right now) it is super fast and I can host whole servers. It is pretty shit for the price though.

This is my internet speed. I gotta say that it's 10x faster than my old internet provider and i'm happy about that. Even though I don't have the fastest internet in the world I am very happy with this one. :)

I was at 31.66 and a minute later posted 28.46

Your next door neighbour probably decided to start up a torrent! These things are notoriously dependent on what everyone else in the area is doing. Many people are not aware that they are in fact sharing their connection with between 20 and 50 people (if not more) in their neighbourhood.

Just wondering what kind of internet speeds you all get. I have Verizon Fios 25/5 service but it has been much faster lately. I wonder if they upgraded my service for free because of the new plans they offer now. :confused:

2610776032.png
I had Verizon, but switched to Comcast. I had WAY too many problems with Verizon. New WiFi routers had to be replaced twice in 1 year.

You probably did get a free upgrade; that's what comcast does. I pay for 150mbs with Comcast, but get WAY MORE on the download side. I don't upload much, so slow upload is not an issue for me. Plus, the equipment I purchased allows me to get these results from anywhere inside or outside my house with just 1 router. I also have 15 to 25 people on my WiFi every Friday and still get these results.

Screenshot_20170717-105141.png

Last edited:
6462315008.png

Far from the speeds people with tiny dick compensation needs are boasting with (bigger packages are offered, and bigger local ISP M-Net also offers 200+ Mbit) but fully sufficient for my needs.

Downlink is not crazy but anything in the 10-20 GB range downloads in very acceptable time. Uplink actually is good enough to host Mumble/TeamSpeak for a bunch of people, good enough to grab smaller files from my NAS on demand, and even the notoriously bandwidth-hungry VNC. Also useful that I barely ever get force-reconnects and my IP has stayed the same ever since I've been with them, though they don't guarantee a static IP.

It's a smaller local ISP that works via coax cable (TV plug) for the last mile. They sometimes have minor technical difficulties but the price I pay is dirt cheap. (Nothing but pure internet included though, no TV, no phone)

Still have this one stuck to my modem just because lol :D
44061.jpg

This must be one of the forum's earlier threads.

I had Verizon, but switched to Comcast. I had WAY too many problems with Verizon. New WiFi routers had to be replaced twice in 1 year.

You orobably did get a free upgrade; that's what comcasr doea. I pay for 150mbs with Comcast, but get WAY MORE on the download side. I don't upload much, so slow upload is not an issue for me. Plus, the equipment I purchased allows me to get these results from anywhere inside or outside my house with just 1 router. I also have 15 to 25 people on my WiFi every Friday and still get these results.

View attachment 109248

2017-07-17_11-48-41.png

I wasn't even sure what plan I have now. Looks like 75/75. I turned off the wifi on the Verizon router and switched to a wifi mesh network. Much better overall for my setup.

I also hard wired everything that can be. Before I finished the basement, I ran cat 6 to every room in the house, hallway for the thermostat, and kitchen if we ever get one of those smart refrigerators. When the laptops are docked, they use a hard wire connection.

IMG_20170717_115838.jpg

View attachment 109262

I wasn't even sure what plan I have now. Looks like 75/75. I turned off the wifi on the Verizon router and switched to a wifi mesh network. Much better overall for my setup.

I also hard wired everything that can be. Before I finished the basement, I ran cat 6 to every room in the house, hallway for the thermostat, and kitchen if we ever get one of those smart refrigerators. When the laptops are docked, they use a hard wire connection.

View attachment 109261
That is actually very good news. Verizon is now offering insanely fast speeds (980 mbs) for dirt cheap for new / return customers with a 2 year contact. I now have my own wifi router setup, so I would not need theirs. But I wasn't sure that it would make enough of a difference, thus I was afraid I would be stuck and regret the switch for 2 years. HOWEVER, it sounds like you successfully improved performance by ditching Verizon's WiFi router. EXCELLENT news!!

Thanks!!(y) :thumbsup:

Throwing the ISP's supplied WiFi router into the trash is the first thing I would suggest anyone to do.
Whenever possible just take a pure modem for whatever technology they use and hook your own router to it.

All the ISP-supplied routers I have seen so far delivered crappy performance both via WiFi and LAN, had barely any extra features to configure, and tended to die very soon after the warranty period ends...

I need to switch.

My current plan through Uverse is up to 6 Mbps down for $47.

Xfinity offers 150 Mbps down for $50 per month (for 3 years with a 36-month contract).

With my kids connecting more devices (and one complaining about a dropped signal often -- I have 6 wifi signals in the house... four 2.4 Ghz for the kids, one 5.0 Ghz for me/streaming and one 5.0 Ghz for guests), its time to upgrade.

This led me down the rabbithole of just switching everything to xfinity... Would save $40/month for a comparable TV plan.

Verizon's hassles over renewing their Tennis Channel contract forced us to switch to Spectrum (nee Brighthouse) a few months ago. Today, a few minutes ago (from a server in Atlanta, not local):

Spectrum.jpg

That's quite a bit better than Verizon was doing down here.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom