Internet Speed Tests (2 Viewers)

62A9369A-6A22-456E-9121-8D7073CDB956.png

That’s what we’re doing now, no more cable boxes, just Rokus.

youtubeTV?

Yeah, YouTube TV. We already had Prime video and Netflix. Plus all the free Roku content and channels. Having access everything on one box is nice too.
For the cost of just one cable box rental, you can get Netflix.

Yeah, YouTube TV. We already had Prime video and Netflix. Plus all the free Roku content and channels. Having access everything on one box is nice too.
For the cost of just one cable box rental, you can get Netflix.

Yeah, we pretty much did exactly the same thing. We already had Netflix and Prime video, so we just added YouTube TV, got rid of the cable boxes, and have absolutely zero regrets.

Also, the Roku remote is great, and the fact that it seamlessly controls the volume on the TV too is a nice bonus.

I primarily watch live regional sports (and some national games...I'm looking at you Wednesday Night NHL on NBCSN), and DVRed programs. My wife still watches a few shows on network TV and abhors the thought of nixing the DVR (I have a landline as a result of the same fears). My youngest still watches Cartoon Network, Nick, etc.

How does YouTube TV stack up to that list of needs?

My brother uses Sling without too many complaints.

What is the minimum speed to reasonably stream everything?

Last edited:
I primarily watch live regional sports (and some national games...I'm looking at you Wednesday Night NHL on NBCSN),

Probably best to enter your zip and I think you can see exactly what the sports offerings are, as it varies a little region to region.

My wife still watches a few shows on network TV and abhors the thought of nixing the DVR

It comes with free unlimited (cloud) DVR that seems to work pretty flawlessly

What is the minimum speed to reasonably atream everything?

Depends on the resolution of the TV you're using. We only have regular HD 1080p setups, so it's around 6 Mbps for most shows. iPad streaming is about half that. So most internet service at this point is capable of steaming several devices at the same time without any issue. If you're using a 4K TV, then you probably need a bit more bandwidth, but still probably ok with most internet services.

Speaking of saving a little money, while YouTubeTV is $40/month, we (effectively) only pay $32/month by making the payment through the Apple App Store. We buy up Apple gift cards whenever they're 20% off and load them into our account. Then the YouTubeTV monthly payment gets deducted from that balance. It's worked perfectly for the past year.

Not sure if it's possible to do something similar with Android or not.

Well that could save me $19/month for the landline we (almost) never use. (y) :thumbsup:

We only keep it case of an emergency. All the phone ringers are off.
The catch is that you'll need to keep it on battery backup, along with your router and any other network equipment that is hooked up to it for it to work during a power outage.

I used two of these for my switch, router, Obi200, Cameras and NVR.

81P-SO7ab2L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDC21FE

We only keep it case of an emergency. All the phone ringers are off.
The catch is that you'll need to keep it on battery backup, along with your router and any other network equipment that is hooked up to it.

I used two of these for my switch, router, Obi200, Cameras and NVR.

View attachment 226424

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDC21FE

We could get something like that, though it would really only be to cover the 10-15 seconds it takes before the generator kicks in. But it's not a bad idea just so that everything doesn't reboot and/or get interrupted.

Speaking of saving a little money, while YouTubeTV is $40/month, we (effectively) only pay $32/month by making the payment through the Apple App Store. We buy up Apple gift cards whenever they're 20% off and load them into our account. Then the YouTubeTV monthly payment gets deducted from that balance. It's worked perfectly for the past year.

Not sure if it's possible to do something similar with Android or not.

I have seen Google Play GC's on sale for 10-20% off.

Oh okay, I haven't really investigated YouTubeTV. I generally trust anything Google puts out is a decent service. Between Netflix and PrimeTV we generally have everything we need.

Although after reading through this thread and thinking about it...I just realized that I am losing my HBO GO service with my canceled AT&T cell plan (just switched to Google Fi). Oops, hadn't thought of that until now. Probably will just sign up for HBO NOW when GOT comes up.

is this though a hard-wired connection or WiFi? I have the gigabet connection as well, but can only get 300/300 or so through Verizon's router.

Hard wired through a gigabit switch and the Netgear X10 router that is connected directly to the Verizon OTN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom