Internet Speed Tests (2 Viewers)

View attachment 109262

I wasn't even sure what plan I have now. Looks like 75/75. I turned off the wifi on the Verizon router and switched to a wifi mesh network. Much better overall for my setup.

I also hard wired everything that can be. Before I finished the basement, I ran cat 6 to every room in the house, hallway for the thermostat, and kitchen if we ever get one of those smart refrigerators. When the laptops are docked, they use a hard wire connection.

View attachment 109261

How long have you had Google's WiFi? I've had it about 3 months now with three access points. Two are hard wired and one is not. I find that I need to reboot weekly to keep the speeds optimum. I am out of town for work, but I average 300mbs down and 25 up. On wifi I get around 125 down, but then POW- I drop to 4 or 5 and need to reboot the network. Haven't gotten around to looking into that issue - so was curious if I was the only one.

Work LOLerz.

oXMKDlI.png

Oh my poor wife...

IMG_5088.PNG

This is the fastest I've been able to get with a reliable connection. Comcast is available with speeds "up to 75mbps" in my area, but even on a wired line I can't stay connected for more than 15 minutes without getting disconnected in this house. Even when I had it (kept AT&T as a backup just in case) it wasn't going any higher than 30mbps down.

View attachment 109300
This is from right after I got my internet hooked up here in Vermont.
It is pretty interesting using the internet when the bottleneck is the speed of the server you are connected with, not your connection.
WOOOWWWWW!!! :eek::eek: I assume that's Verizon 980mbs service?

Two questions. Did you switch from a slower speed, and if so, what was it?

My 230ish mbs is night and day from the 50 / 50 I had. Just wondering if going from 230 to over 900 would be like going from a corvette to a bugatti (i.e., would blow my my socks off).

WOOOWWWWW!!! :eek::eek: I assume that's Verizon 980mbs service?

Two questions. Did you switch from a slower speed, and if so, what was it?

My 230ish mbs is night and day from the 50 / 50 I had. Just wondering if going from 230 to over 900 would be like going from a corvette to a bugatti (i.e., would blow my my socks off).

That is a 1Gbps fiber connection through Burlington Telecom. Previously, I had a 'business plan' with Comcast (which of course just means extra nuanced extortion). I think the speeds were something like 60Mb/30Mb and I paid extra for some of that upload.

To be honest, gigabit is not gonna be that noticeable if you already have 230. Even 230 will saturate most servers, assuming you are not rate limited. Unless you have multiple concurrent users using lots of data, the jump from 230 to 980 would be largely invisible.

Additionally, few consumer-grade routers can actually sustain gigabit/s of throughput, so you may have to get a new one. Worse, to get anywhere close to gigabit speeds with wireless, you need to be very close with a clear line of sight to an access point. Both the client and AP will need to be using a very modern wireless spec (802.11ac, probably).

I would say make the jump if the price seems right. Just don't expect miracles beyond what is already a pretty sweet connection.

Using Spectrum in Tampa FL area (formerly Brighthouse Network)

Pay about $50/month with wifi modem included. All systems on Wi-Fi, nothing connected via Ethernet, happy with results.

speedtest.png

View attachment 111460
Cox Gigablast... Started at 996Mbs... Came down in two year :unsure:, Still cant complain.
If you have not already, reboot you might try to reboot your modem using the little red button (probably embedded in the back). I found that Cox does software updates that deteriorate your speed and require a reboot. That usually brings my speed way back up again. And often gives me faster than what I pay for.

If you have not already, reboot you might try to reboot your modem using the little red button (probably embedded in the back). I found that Cox does software updates that deteriorate your speed and require a reboot. That usually brings my speed way back up again. And often gives me faster than what I pay for.
I reboot regularly, and I really cant complain about the speed most website dont support that kind of speed... But I haven't rebooted it in a while so I will.

Thanks

Try multiple test servers, sometimes the servers gets busy as well and have slower Tputs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom