Inlay removal by milling with a drill press (1 Viewer)

I found that if you tap the label just right with the bit going, it'll pop off the overlay and inlay, and then you can just clean the pre-made divot. It's not perfect, but easier then hand-Murdering.

I'm going to stick with HSs for my projects tho.

Updating this thread with a video of inlayed THC chips being milled now that I had some free time...

I like the PVC guard very much. While I've never tried chip milling I have an articulating arm mounted to my drill press and have a shop vac hose attached.
This works very well for catching most of the debris when drilling wood, I would think something like this would help with the plastic mess/dust.

IMG_3313.jpg

I found that if you tap the label just right with the bit going, it'll pop off the overlay and inlay, and then you can just clean the pre-made divot. It's not perfect, but easier then hand-Murdering.

I'm going to stick with HSs for my projects tho.

I have experienced this with some chips as well. I don’t know if it is age, underlay material type, overlay material type, or what but different chips mill differently. Actually the first inlayed chips I tried to mill were RHC Harrahs Cherokee tournament chips and experienced the behavior you mentioned. I was using a 1” but on the 1-1/16” inlays and as soon as I slowly touched the bit to the inlay it would pull up a bit. I could then use players and just pull the whole thing out nice and clean. Those are newer smooth inlay type. These VLVs are actually about the most difficult I have tried so far but these are chips I am actually using for a set, not just experimenting. The inlay is textured IIRC and these may be older chips. I am not sure but the way they react to milling is definitely different.

I like the PVC guard. While I've never tried chip milling I have an articulating arm mounted to my drill press and have a shop vac hose attached.
This works very well for catching most of the debris when drilling wood, I would think something like this would help with the plastic mess/dust.

View attachment 430698
That would be so nice while milling. I'd need like four shopvacs going to get it tho. It goes everywhere....

Is the $70 drill press at harbor freight good for this? Thinking about buying one under $100 at harbor freight to mill some chips

Is the $70 drill press at harbor freight good for this? Thinking about buying one under $100 at harbor freight to mill some chips

Yes, that is exactly the drill press I am using in these videos...

Description​
SKU​
QTY​
PRICE​
Subtotal​
spacer.gif
8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press​
60238​
1​
67.99​

Yes, that is exactly the drill press I am using in these videos...

Description​
SKU​
QTY​
PRICE​
Subtotal​
spacer.gif
8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press​
60238​
1​
67.99​
Thanks yeah that’s the one I just looked up. I wonder if any coupons work on this too..? Still if it works great price for “unlimited” milling your own chips

anyone find a good 1 inch cutting diameter bit?

I have both the Uxcell and Magnate “bottom cleaning” bits of various sizes. Can I ask what you are milling? The only thing I have had a need for a 1” bit was RHC hotstamps. Don’t use a 1” on THC.

i have some starbursts with the tip goes to edge of inner diameter i have not milled them yet i do believe the 7/8 will do the job if careful alignment is taken for each chip

Starburst is tough for sure. Best done with a cnc. Leaving tips of the starburst behind is almost inevitable with a 7/8 bit unless you are moving pretty slow

i have some starbursts with the tip goes to edge of inner diameter i have not milled them yet i do believe the 7/8 will do the job if careful alignment is taken for each chip

7/8” took care of every Starburst I have ever milled, but yes it is tight. But a 1” bit is too big and goes right up to the edge of the inner mold.

Amazon doesn’t sell it any longer but you can order direct from the manufacturers I recommend this bit:
Magnate 2712 Surface Planing (Bottom Cleaning) Router Bit - 7/8" Cutting Diameter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093C1XKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_e7tGEbX5480BC

If I have really wide hotstamps I will actually align my jig very very slightly off center so that I can spot the chip and place it in the jig in a way to compensate for the off centered-ness of the hotstamp. If I don’t get it in one shot I spin the chip and hit it again to get the rest of the hotstamp with a second pass.

thanks for the info
yes i always use magnate products and found ordering direct from them doesnt cost more (might take longer to get for some odd reason. Also I am sure its not a knock off.

i actually purchased a 1/4 in bottom clean from eBay, the minute it arrived i could tell something was off. the rib casing was not right and the wax coating only went up half way not protecting the whole edge cutting length. Magnate offered to inspect it and sure enough it was found to be a knock off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom