If you had to.... (1 Viewer)

Give more credit to winners, less difference between first ones out.

This will be more like the traditional payouts than simply going from 1-9...

Very interesting question and one I believe there's no optimal, and even maybe possible, answer for.

If you think of a spectrum, going from rewarding individual performance only (regular tourney) to the other extreme, which is rewarding team performance only, the playability changes immensely. To the point where the game might not be poker anymore. Not to mention it opens up the door for shenanigans like signaling strength to team mates, etc.

Now, in between those two extremes, there could be a point in which you can be satisfied. You give up a bit of poker essence and gain some team fun, rewarding a little bit both aspects. Not sure what that point is.

Now, can it be a fun prospect having a team tourney, maybe it can. Is it poker? Not really, imo, since collusion changes the game too much.

Last edited:
Given the condition that I have to do this (why, did you abduct my goldfish?), I'd certainly want to address the concerns highlighted by @ChaosRock, so at first blush I'm thinking something along the lines of having, say, 36 participants. Divide into 9 teams of 4, and 1 member of each team plays in a separate STT. Team members scores are tallied based on finish to determine the winning team. This would eliminate any collusion at each table.

If you want a more collaborative team effort than merely adding up individual performances, perhaps allow teammates to transfer chips across STTs. Could add some strategy, weakening your own chip-position at your table, to help a teammate who is almost busto at another table or let him bust in order to improve your odds of finishing better at your table..

We tried something like this over the summer.
- 2 tables
- 8 teams of 2, one player at each table.
- players had one rebuy each. At the end of the rebuy period, the teams could transfer chips from the high stack to the low stack until they were even.
- each table played a STT down to a winner
- table winners then played heads-up, and could confer with partner regarding a decision. If players head-up were from the same team, it became a standard heads-up game.

It was interesting.

We tried something like this over the summer.
- 2 tables
- 8 teams of 2, one player at each table.
- players had one rebuy each. At the end of the rebuy period, the teams could transfer chips from the high stack to the low stack until they were even.
- each table played a STT down to a winner
- table winners then played heads-up, and could confer with partner regarding a decision. If players head-up were from the same team, it became a standard heads-up game.

It was interesting.
Did y'all use name tags for teams?

Our group has done this for several years with great turnout.

We have done teams of 3. Players get points equal to the place they finish with worst score from each team thrown out. In the event of a tie the team that has the best finisher is the tie breaker.

For payouts the money was split 60% for teams 40% for individuals. Top 3 teams paid, top 3 finishers paid. Need a bigger buy-in to help cover the extra money being paid out. We have done it as a $100 per person buy-in.

If the final team only has 2 members then both of their scores play.

We also would give each player a consultation chip so they could ask for help during a hand.

For must moves and combining tables we wouldn’t allow teammates at the same table unless there was no other option.

I've seen a format once, where 3 players played in one team with one stack. Every level they had to substitute the active player and replace them with one of the passive players. Every three levels everyone needed to play one level, but it was allowed to change the rotation after 3 levels. It was allowed to break the "one player per hand" rule once a level and consult your teammates. Payout was per team only. I didn't played it, but it sounded like fun.

You guys that have done these team tournaments - how did you pick your teams? Random draw?

You guys that have done these team tournaments - how did you pick your teams? Random draw?

We left it up to the players to find teammates. The team needed to RSVP as one unit. We used the message board on meetup for everyone that was interested to post that they were looking to play. We also required every team to have a team name.

I play in a semiannual team tournament. Teams of 8 and anywhere between 6 to 8 teams join. We play 3 8max SNGs (limit hold'em/stud (half the tables play limit hold'em and half play stud), PLO, and no limit hold'em) with one player from each team on each table. And the 4th match is heads up (captains get together and figure out who is playing who for the heads up portion).

Team points awarded for where you finish. I don't know exactly how they do the points though (heads up winner gets 10 points). Top 3 teams get paid and it's $50 entry per person. It'll be the 22nd running of this tournament April 6th.

I've organized a team event once within the poker club of the company for which I worked for.
3 players per team with one starting stack that they divided as they wish. (100% of the teams made even split 1/3 per player)
Each team choose their names.
Each team member must wear a "Team Tag" visible to identify themselves as begin part of the a given team.
Each player is seated on a different table at the start of the tournament.
Players of the team can pass chips from one player to another during the breaks (each 4 levels)
Points were given to players depending on their elimination and the team score was the addition of the 3 individual points earned.

What I have in mind is teams with 3 Players. Each team gets 30'000 chips. There are 3 tables with diffrent games (NL Holdem, Stud Hi and Razz). The 30'000 chips can be spilt as the team prefers.
Each team get 7 jokers. With a joker you can swap your player. (as example the NL Holdem player changes seat with the Razz player) Further you can also swap chips.

I am not sure yet how the tournament shall end. Points for each table? or a final table where all team who won a table bring their chips too?

Any Ideas?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom