I want to buy a smoker (3 Viewers)

Whatchay'all using for temperature probes these days? If the 5-star rated $30 instant meat temp probe on Amazon is the way to go, I'll do it. I have zero need for some bluetooth probe with a phone app that gives me the date of birth of the cow, what its last meal was, and the temp of the meat and the smoker, but I could be convinced.

Thermoworks is pretty much the gold standard for the typical probe style with digital readouts goes. They're super durable, but they're not cheap. Usually about $100 or so I think.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=7

I have one of these that I got from Amazon for some crazy black friday deal for like $5. I never opened it though. It's still in the box. I had a similar one that worked great in the past until I left it outside all winter in the rain like a dumbass. Anyhow, if you want it, you can have it. Has a wireless head unit and a probe. Gets great reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014DAVCP4/

1612241135972.png

Whatchay'all using for temperature probes these days? If the 5-star rated $30 instant meat temp probe on Amazon is the way to go, I'll do it. I have zero need for some bluetooth probe with a phone app that gives me the date of birth of the cow, what its last meal was, and the temp of the meat and the smoker, but I could be convinced.
Don't knock 'em. I love the Bluetooth/WiFi probe that came with my Green Mountain!

But I also have this cheapie that does the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07477NMF...olid=2A89OGP4WME1E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For a handheld temp probe, everyone says thermapen is the best. I suppose they might be faster, but this one gives a good read within about 5 seconds. I've had several, and they seem to work well, compared to $100 for the thermapen.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ499Y...olid=2A89OGP4WME1E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

With the minimum effort I can muster today to do research, it's obvious that ThermoWorks / Thermapen / Smoke are the cream of the crop. I now, finally, have something I can give my wife when she asks for a list of what I want for Fathers' Day.

You know, PCF is just as good for whiskey threads and meat smoking threads as it is for poker and poker chip threads. Maybe more so. Lots of good people around here.

With the minimum effort I can muster today to do research, it's obvious that ThermoWorks / Thermapen / Smoke are the cream of the crop. I now, finally, have something I can give my wife when she asks for a list of what I want for Fathers' Day.

You know, PCF is just as good for whiskey threads and meat smoking threads as it is for poker and poker chip threads. Maybe more so. Lots of good people around here.
Truth is, there is almost too much here sometimes. Now I'm finding myself being pulled into a D&D thread. Just what I need! Another time suck in my life!

We just grabbed some brisket for lunch today and the wife asked me, "why isn't it as good as the brisket we got last week?"

"Because we didn't get it from Famous Dave's last week".

Try the Thermapop instead of the Thermapen:
https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoP...Q2NcVdBRjrE_bqYyL1NXpbe00VMxwTwhoC8-0QAvD_BwE

Same company, same tech, but about a third of the price.
I have one, along with the Smoke, for my BGE.

Thermoworks is pretty much the gold standard for the typical probe style with digital readouts goes. They're super durable, but they're not cheap. Usually about $100 or so I think.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=7

I have one of these that I got from Amazon for some crazy black friday deal for like $5. I never opened it though. It's still in the box. I had a similar one that worked great in the past until I left it outside all winter in the rain like a dumbass. Anyhow, if you want it, you can have it. Has a wireless head unit and a probe. Gets great reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014DAVCP4/

View attachment 627266
I have the two-probe version of this one as well as an instant-read by the same manufacturer, and I've been pretty happy with both.

They both seem to be reasonably accurate, battery life is good, and the range on the wireless unit is good enough that I can carry it almost anywhere in the house.

The Thermapop looks awesome for when I boil sugar to make candy / fudge / toffee on the stove. Getting the right temperatures for (here comes the out of context thread) soft ball, hard ball, soft crack, and hard crack is critical.

My local grocery put pork shoulder on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I bought two (about 10 lbs each) to give myself some practice before attempting to smoke my first brisket on the kamado. I smoked #1 yesterday.

My goal was to keep it between 225-250F and get to a final temperature of 195F.

Lessons learned:
  1. Don't start smoking a pork shoulder in the afternoon. I ended up pulling it at 3:30am with an internal temp of 191F.
  2. Oil the grill first. It wasn't an awful mess, but it did stick.
  3. Get a temperature regulator. I was babysitting it all freaking night to keep the temp in my desired range.
  4. Pull the pork 30-45 minutes after taking it off the smoker. Waiting until the next morning seems to have dried it out a tad.
All of the above notwithstanding, I'm not going to complain about the results. Is it the best pulled pork I've ever had? No. Is it some damn tasty pork? Oh yes.

1612843022903.png

1612843061810.png

My local grocery put pork shoulder on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I bought two (about 10 lbs each) to give myself some practice before attempting to smoke my first brisket on the kamado. I smoked #1 yesterday.

Lessons learned:
  1. Don't start smoking a pork shoulder in the afternoon. I ended up pulling it at 3:30am with an internal temp of 191F.
  3. Get a temperature regulator. I was babysitting it all freaking night to keep the temp in my desired range.
  4. Pull the pork 30-45 minutes after taking it off the smoker. Waiting until the next morning seems to have dried it out a tad.
All of the above notwithstanding, I'm not going to complain about the results. Is it the best pulled pork I've ever had? No. Is it some damn tasty pork? Oh yes.

View attachment 632201
View attachment 632202

Next time take it out at 205 degrees...put on some heat resistant silicon gloves, and pull it immediately. You can do it just by "squeezing." Much easier, and still turns out great. And yes, If you want to eat the same day, better get up before dawn and get things started!

Lessons learned:

View attachment 632201
View attachment 632202
I recommend the BBQ guru temp regulator. Always worked well for me.

I've had the DigiQ for about 6 or 7 years.
Used it all the time when I owned a Kamado.
Highly recommended...I'm sure the ultraQ is as good or better.

I've had the DigiQ for about 6 or 7 years.
Used it all the time when I owned a Kamado.
Highly recommended...I'm sure the ultraQ is as good or better.
The main selling point of the UltraQ for me is Wi-Fi. BT is great, but I want to be anywhere in my house (or even away from home) and still be able to get a look at what's going on.

1. Get a temperature regulator. I was babysitting it all freaking night to keep the temp in my desired range.
I've been looking at this one for a while, it's probably the way I'll go (UltraQ).

I have the UltraQ BBQ Guru as well. Love it! Highly recommended. And ya, I agree with the 205 internal temp for pork shoulders. It'll be more tender.

Anyone own a Pit Boss or Camp Chef pellet grill?
Lowe's Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker here. Love it. There's a learning curve to it, knowing where the heat is, how much, and how it travels (because it's vertical). But that is no different than buying a new oven for your kitchen.

My impression of the Lowe's Pit Boss model I have is you have a low, but non-zero chance of getting a total lemon, and if you do, you return it and get another. When you get a non-lemon, it is fantastic for the price.

I wasn't in the mood to slice it up last night, so I left the brisket in the cooler until this morning. About 12 hours rest time. One thing I will say, smoking a brisket well is extremely difficult. Getting every part of it correct, and there are lots of parts, requires expert knowledge, skill, science, and art. Challenge accepted!
IMG_1177.jpgIMG_1178.jpgIMG_1179.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1187.jpg
I'm guessing that all smokers are capable of making excellent briskets, but they will do it in very different ways.

I wasn't in the mood to slice it up last night, so I left the brisket in the cooler until this morning. About 12 hours rest time. One thing I will say, smoking a brisket well is extremely difficult. Getting every part of it correct, and there are lots of parts, requires expert knowledge, skill, science, and art. Challenge accepted!
View attachment 664986View attachment 664987View attachment 664988View attachment 664989View attachment 664990
I'm guessing that all smokers are capable of making excellent briskets, but they will do it in very different ways.
The butcher paper makes a huge difference with creating a good bark, in my opinion. Looks good.

The butcher paper makes a huge difference with creating a good bark, in my opinion. Looks good.
Thanks. My flat is too dry, and there are a few tough inedible sections on the bottom of this brisket. Not sure what happened with that first mistake. The second one I was aware of and did a much better job mitigating it than my last brisket. I have learned that in a vertical pellet smoker, the heat from the bottom is very intense, more so than with almost any other smoker type. I dropped my temp 25F and put my brisket one rack higher than the last time. I solved the problem a little more than half way. I think next time I will put the brisket on a piece of foil for half the unwrapped cooking time to protect the bottom a little better. Art, science, knowledge, skill... fun times.

Just bought a recteq RT590. Hopefully be here in time for the weekend. What accessories do I need to get now? Bought the grill cover with it and it comes with probes, but that is it. Thx

Thanks. My flat is too dry, and there are a few tough inedible sections on the bottom of this brisket. Not sure what happened with that first mistake. The second one I was aware of and did a much better job mitigating it than my last brisket. I have learned that in a vertical pellet smoker, the heat from the bottom is very intense, more so than with almost any other smoker type. I dropped my temp 25F and put my brisket one rack higher than the last time. I solved the problem a little more than half way. I think next time I will put the brisket on a piece of foil for half the unwrapped cooking time to protect the bottom a little better. Art, science, knowledge, skill... fun times.

You can leave more fat on the fat cap to protect the flat. Also cook fat side down if your heat is too intense.

Another option is put a tray of water under the brisket. This will help deflect any direct heat and also aid in keeping the meat moist.

Its a lifelong journey of learning and I love it.

Another thing I have been playing with is long rest times. I rest for 6-8 hours in a cooler with brisket wrapped in a towel. I picked up the idea from Mad Scientist BBQ Youtube channel and it helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom