I want to buy a smoker (2 Viewers)

That's a really interesting unit. I assume the griddle on side is electric? What's the brand and model? Can't quite read that label.

it's a camp chef, this one specifically:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/camp-chef-smokepro-sg-wi-fi-pellet-grill

camp chef has a "sidekick" attachment - it bolts on the side, basically just a single propane burner that cranks out ~30,000 BTU - you can't see it in this pic, but there is a tank hanging off the back. the sidekick takes a variety of its own attachments - i have the griddle as you see, the BBQ box (basically makes it a regular propane grill, i got it primarily for reverse-searing), and the pizza oven.

You can leave more fat on the fat cap to protect the flat. Also cook fat side down if your heat is too intense.

Another option is put a tray of water under the brisket. This will help deflect any direct heat and also aid in keeping the meat moist.

Its a lifelong journey of learning and I love it.

Another thing I have been playing with is long rest times. I rest for 6-8 hours in a cooler with brisket wrapped in a towel. I picked up the idea from Mad Scientist BBQ Youtube channel and it helps.
All great suggestions, most of which I have tried or will try next time I buy a brisket from Costco!

it's a camp chef, this one specifically:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/camp-chef-smokepro-sg-wi-fi-pellet-grill

camp chef has a "sidekick" attachment - it bolts on the side, basically just a single propane burner that cranks out ~30,000 BTU - you can't see it in this pic, but there is a tank hanging off the back. the sidekick takes a variety of its own attachments - i have the griddle as you see, the BBQ box (basically makes it a regular propane grill, i got it primarily for reverse-searing), and the pizza oven.
Very nice. Mind if I ask some specific questions. Figured I would keep them here in the thread as it might be helpful to others looking here.

First - that link is to an out of stock item. Went to the Camp Chef website. Is yours this model or similar?
https://www.campchef.com/wood-pelle.../smokepro-sg-24-wifi-pellet-grill-bronze.html

I currently have a Green Mountain. I love it, but it does have a few frustrating issues that this one may solve. Can you explain the Slide & Grill feature that gives access to the direct flame? On the GM I have to just about take the entire grill apart to slide open the grates and give access to direct flame. Almost impossible to do if I have been using the grill and it's already hot. Does this one do so more easily?

I also have to take mine apart to clean out the ash. So needless to say, I don't do it as often as I should. How does the easy ash cleanout system work?

Anything else about yours that you are dissatisfied with or wish it had that other models do have?

Sorry to totally nerd out on you. I suppose I could find most of these answers on You-Tube, but it's good to get honest opinions from someone not a complete stranger.

Very nice. Mind if I ask some specific questions. Figured I would keep them here in the thread as it might be helpful to others looking here.

First - that link is to an out of stock item. Went to the Camp Chef website. Is yours this model or similar?
https://www.campchef.com/wood-pelle.../smokepro-sg-24-wifi-pellet-grill-bronze.html

yes that is the same model, but all of the 24" camp chef models are quite similar. anything with "SG" in the model name will have the slide-and-grill feature. but by far the biggest thing with camp chef is to make sure you buy one with a gen 2 (PID) controller. the main selling feature on this one for me was the wi-fi, but so far the antenna sucks and it won't stay connected to my wifi. i ordered a cheap repeater to put in my back room nearest the grill to see if that will keep it connected. if not, i'm going to contact customer service to see if i got a bum radio. their customer service is supposedly top-notch, so maybe i'll be testing that out.

I currently have a Green Mountain. I love it, but it does have a few frustrating issues that this one may solve. Can you explain the Slide & Grill feature that gives access to the direct flame? On the GM I have to just about take the entire grill apart to slide open the grates and give access to direct flame. Almost impossible to do if I have been using the grill and it's already hot. Does this one do so more easily?

it is very simple - there is a pull knob on the side you use to slide the grate (shield?) out of the way:

1629055102623.png

I also have to take mine apart to clean out the ash. So needless to say, I don't do it as often as I should. How does the easy ash cleanout system work?

don't know yet, but it seems simple. there is a similar knob on the other side to release the ash into the cup below, but so far i have only used it to pre-feed the pellets. i'll report back when i have to clean it, but i did a lot of research before committing to this grill, and the ease of cleanout was a common review feature that contributed to steering me towards camp chef.

Anything else about yours that you are dissatisfied with or wish it had that other models do have?

Sorry to totally nerd out on you. I suppose I could find most of these answers on You-Tube, but it's good to get honest opinions from someone not a complete stranger.

too early to say - give me a few cooks and i'll get back to you. and no apology necessary, i love nerding out about this kind of stuff!

You can spend a ton or just a little and get a pretty decent smoker you know. I recently bought a Masterbuilt smoker for $79 that does a pretty incredible job of smoking meat. I personally don’t require something that has wifi, and this little portable smoker works fine for my and my wife’s needs.

Attachments

• C679F139-EA74-47F6-8018-A682D21DB268.png
    C679F139-EA74-47F6-8018-A682D21DB268.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 56
I recently bought a Masterbuilt smoker for $79 that does a pretty incredible job of smoking meat. I personally don’t require something that has wifi

the wifi isn't critical at all. for me, the issue with my last smoker was the constant babysitting - it just gets real old real fast and i was done with it. any smoker where you can set a temp and just walk away knowing it's going to hold is good in my eyes.

the wifi isn't critical at all. for me, the issue with my last smoker was the constant babysitting - it just gets real old real fast and i was done with it. any smoker where you can set a temp and just walk away knowing it's going to hold is good in my eyes.
I love my BBQ Guru setup with my Kamado Joe for this reason. Highly recommended.

BINGO!!! I used to smoke on a stick burner. It was an ALL-DAY JOB. I already have a job. I don't want another one on the weekends. With my pellet grill I use pre set up smoking profiles on my tablet, then I start smoking around 10PM at night, and eat delicious, slow cooked BBQ for LUNCH! I would smoke 4-6 times a year with my stick burner. I did that the first month with my pellet grill. If something is incredibly easy to use, then I will use it much more often. That alone is more than worth the less than $500 I paid for my Green Mountain.

I love my rectec that I bought this April. Have used it a bunch. Built like a tank

Attachments

• E0A5D7B5-A589-492C-8694-CD58924A85AD.jpeg
    E0A5D7B5-A589-492C-8694-CD58924A85AD.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 8175126B-6EEA-4BCE-ADD1-41A78A8A1543.jpeg
    8175126B-6EEA-4BCE-ADD1-41A78A8A1543.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 1BD98347-FA63-4198-ADA4-FC83806BA306.jpeg
    1BD98347-FA63-4198-ADA4-FC83806BA306.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 79C69ECA-A514-4550-AAD9-FD9974D7A157.jpeg
    79C69ECA-A514-4550-AAD9-FD9974D7A157.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 72
  • E2EE45A3-6FA4-4302-977B-497087CE2E95.jpeg
    E2EE45A3-6FA4-4302-977B-497087CE2E95.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 03CB823E-7BFD-47F7-88A7-B391CB6B7D6D.jpeg
    03CB823E-7BFD-47F7-88A7-B391CB6B7D6D.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2A573452-0780-4D0D-975D-C5A3A66DAA96.jpeg
    2A573452-0780-4D0D-975D-C5A3A66DAA96.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 5B8DE19D-C0CF-4047-A47C-B65B089E5B25.jpeg
    5B8DE19D-C0CF-4047-A47C-B65B089E5B25.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 76
  • 677A5936-3E29-47D1-8828-030E7E2E9B20.jpeg
    677A5936-3E29-47D1-8828-030E7E2E9B20.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 317EB23E-52AE-4C9D-82EE-EE65F059EC4B.jpeg
    317EB23E-52AE-4C9D-82EE-EE65F059EC4B.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 60
  • D6DE9F47-EBDF-4C60-A2F4-5DE1B0B3A2C7.jpeg
    D6DE9F47-EBDF-4C60-A2F4-5DE1B0B3A2C7.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 57
  • CF667DC0-6B1B-44A9-8D4F-B3D658A18193.jpeg
    CF667DC0-6B1B-44A9-8D4F-B3D658A18193.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 67
I love my rectec that I bought this April. Have used it a bunch. Built like a tank

nice unit! i came very, very close to pulling the trigger on a rec teq myself, but the accessories for the camp chef put me over the edge.

The little smoker in my photo is basically a set and forget. Hold its temp well and does not require babysitting.

The little smoker in my photo is basically a set and forget. Hold its temp well and does not require babysitting.

then it gets my seal of approval! ;)

funny this notification popped up, i just finished splitting the point from the flat and putting the rub on both pieces for the brisket i'm starting at 4am. sliced brisket with a side of meat candy (burnt ends), can't wait!

then it gets my seal of approval! ;)

funny this notification popped up, i just finished splitting the point from the flat and putting the rub on both pieces for the brisket i'm starting at 4am. sliced brisket with a side of meat candy (burnt ends), can't wait!
Let us know how your brisket finishes. I've cooked a few briskets now and have never been fully satisfied with any of them.

Anyone have a good jerky recipe? That's one thing I have yet to try.

yes that is the same model, but all of the 24" camp chef models are quite similar. anything with "SG" in the model name will have the slide-and-grill feature. but by far the biggest thing with camp chef is to make sure you buy one with a gen 2 (PID) controller. the main selling feature on this one for me was the wi-fi, but so far the antenna sucks and it won't stay connected to my wifi. i ordered a cheap repeater to put in my back room nearest the grill to see if that will keep it connected. if not, i'm going to contact customer service to see if i got a bum radio. their customer service is supposedly top-notch, so maybe i'll be testing that out.

it is very simple - there is a pull knob on the side you use to slide the grate (shield?) out of the way:

View attachment 755906

don't know yet, but it seems simple. there is a similar knob on the other side to release the ash into the cup below, but so far i have only used it to pre-feed the pellets. i'll report back when i have to clean it, but i did a lot of research before committing to this grill, and the ease of cleanout was a common review feature that contributed to steering me towards camp chef.

too early to say - give me a few cooks and i'll get back to you. and no apology necessary, i love nerding out about this kind of stuff!
So after a couple more months, do you have any more to say about your Camp Chef? Have you done much grilling with yours, or mostly staying with smoking inside primary grill?

And is Camp Chef the only pellet grill manufacturer to come up with this feature allowing both low and slow, and high direct flame heat with a simple external adjustment? It's an ingenious niche if they are. Anyone else have a pellet grill that does something similar???

Last week I realized that my old faithful gas grill is finally on it's last legs. I was considering spending a grand on a really nice Weber or Napoleon, but then I remembered this conversation, and how much I love cooking with a pellet grill. So now I'm thinking I'll just upgrade from my current Green Mountain and see if I can do without a gas grill at all.

So after a couple more months, do you have any more to say about your Camp Chef? Have you done much grilling with yours, or mostly staying with smoking inside primary grill?

And is Camp Chef the only pellet grill manufacturer to come up with this feature allowing both low and slow, and high direct flame heat with a simple external adjustment? It's an ingenious niche if they are. Anyone else have a pellet grill that does something similar???

Last week I realized that my old faithful gas grill is finally on it's last legs. I was considering spending a grand on a really nice Weber or Napoleon, but then I remembered this conversation, and how much I love cooking with a pellet grill. So now I'm thinking I'll just upgrade from my current Green Mountain and see if I can do without a gas grill at all.

i love my camp chef, but honestly i don't use the direct grill feature at all. it was a great selling point for me, but i have found no use for it. maybe that is mostly due to the fact that i kept my propane weber too, so if i want to grill, i just use that.

but i have to say the camp chef is awesome for smoking - i have absolutely zero complaints on that front. i've done everything - ribs, brisket, pork butt, picanha, whole chicken, chicken thighs (an easy favorite), sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, etc. etc.

but the best treat is the pizza oven on the sidekick - we use that WAY too often. salami and hot honey on roberta's pizza dough is my go-to, holy hell what a pie.

Last edited:
oh, and the cleaning feature is pretty much useless - it drops maybe 20% of the ash, then i have to get in and vacuum the rest anyway.

i love my camp chef, but honestly i don't use the direct grill feature at all. it was a great selling point for me, but i have found no use for it. maybe that is mostly due to the fact that i kept my propane weber too, so if i want to grill, i just use that.

but i have to say the camp chef is awesome for smoking - i have absolutely zero complaints on that front. i've done everything - ribs, brisket, pork butt, picanha, whole chicken, chicken thighs (an easy favorite), sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, etc. etc.

but the best treat is the pizza oven on the sidekick - we use that WAY too often. salami and hot honey on roberta's pizza dough is my go-to, holy hell what a pie.
I also spent a lot time researching pellet smokers and was torn between the sear/direct flame option. Most of the folks I talked too that had the sear option said they same thing, they don’t use it.

I ended going with the GMG Wi-Fi which did not have a sear option and have no complaints. If I want to sear, I just put a cast iron skillet in there and do a reverse sear.

The grate temp gets plenty hot on mine to cook a good chop or steak in a pinch.

I’d recommend looking at the Bullseye from recteq if you are looking for something that can sear and smoke. $50 off right now too.

I have the RT 700 and although you can buy sear grates and get up to 500-600, I primarily use mine for smoking only. I’ll still cook burgers and other things on there but I’ve been thinking about getting the bullseye too. Many people in the FB groups own both and call the Bullseye their “weekday warrior”.

I’d recommend looking at the Bullseye from recteq if you are looking for something that can sear and smoke. $50 off right now too.

I have the RT 700 and although you can buy sear grates and get up to 500-600, I primarily use mine for smoking only. I’ll still cook burgers and other things on there but I’ve been thinking about getting the bullseye too. Many people in the FB groups own both and call the Bullseye their “weekday warrior”.
The 700 is too big, but I am also looking at the RT-590. If I were only going to smoke with it, I would probably choose the Recteq over the Camp Chef. I'm on the website now, and I don't see a model called the Bullseye. But the RT-590 is $100 off, so it's very appealing. But like I said, the reason I'm leaning Camp Chef is because my current gas grill is about to hit the trash heap, and I'm wondering if I can just go with a pellet grill only and not replace the gas grill for a while, if ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom