How much to drink while hosting? (2 Viewers)

We like to start things off with Fireball shots. And then continue with a round of shots each break. Fireball and tequila seems to be the favorite types of shots when I host. I will definitely drink a shot or two more on cash game nights than tournament nights. The atmosphere is a bit more laid back on cash game nights. No pressure to finish well for the league scoring. I will usually mix up some White Booshkies (white Russians with caramel macciato creamer instead of half n half). I am drinking one now as I type this.

Drunk High Quality GIF

Enough, but not too much.
Too much of anything is just enough.

since I only have to worry about climbing stairs to my bed, I don’t worry about having one more drink. That said, in my advancing years, I’ve gotten a lot better about rembering the day after, the night before. So I try not to have so much that I’m praying for death the next day.

If you can be responsible enough with buy ins and cash outs while three sheets to the wind, have at it. Plus you don’t want be drunk enough where someone walks out with an $25 chip or two because you can’t see straight. Any discrepancies usually come out of the hosts pocket so gauge your drink that works for your level of comfort risk.

Yeah that's definitely good advice and insight. I think it really depends on what type of crowd you're hosting, stakes, how well you do with alcohol, etc. There's many variables. I've learned something from every game I've hosted, but have yet to learn the being far to overserved lesson.

Enough, but not too much.
Very English (i.e. Unamerican) of you, Sir! :p :):)

Seriously now, if the host is the banker too, they should NOT drink at all. They can (and should) get drunk after the game, to either celebrate a victory or damp a defeat in noble alcohol.

2b7a3ba3-b5f7-496d-a433-d9b0f6028fee_text.gif

Completely depends on the host. You have to know how you function, if you're to the point where you're negatively impacting your game (slowing things down, mucking up the bank, unable to make proper rulings, etc.), its too much. I know folks who couldn't properly host on anything more then a drink or two. I largely host as an excuse to drink so I don't fall into that category. Or maybe I do and just don't notice lol - no one's said anything in like 15 years and the bank always ends up good at the end of the night.

That's about where I'm at. I like to play poker as an excuse to drink with some buddies. If I had a high stakes game I'd probably drink more water. People definitely have different tolerances. I'd get in the passenger seat of some of my buddies cars after they had 12 beers before getting in the passenger seat of my teenage daughters car. Part of the fun of hosting is not having to drive home. Haven't had the bank be off yet or had any complaints, so bottoms up!

I am not hosting tonight and am drinking the same as I would be hosting.

My regulars love when I drink too much. Last time one of them brought a very nice bottle of bourbon his $100 investment returned that many times as I lost $2k that night.

But I got them back the next game winning over $4k :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Drink as much as you feel comfortable with potentially losing from its effects and the hangover the next day.

Last edited:
Depends how much you're willing to lose on making accounting errors! With micro stakes probably doesn't matter as much.

If you're hosting, it's not just about you playing worse, but its also about making sure the game is running smoothly and your accounting is in order.

If you can do that while being plastered, more power to you!

Host a game myself I usually play in, usually try to find the happy medium where if I need to step in to deal and/or make a decision or solve a dispute I have enough wits about me to properly do all of those things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom