Tourney How many blinds and when should the Add on be? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I typically have $300 MXN (Mexican pesos) the buy in with $15K points and the Add on to be a little less, $200 MXN for $12K points, does this makes sense?
I also do this in the first break which is at the end of level 6 or 7.

thanks!

$300 (MXN) for T15,000 (T symbol helps denote that it is tournament chips, thus less confusing).
Add-on at first break for $200 MXN adding T12,000 chips.

Sign me up!

When I offer add-ons they are usually the same amount as the starting stack for the same price. But having a lower add-on should be fine, as long as the price is lower as well.

Bear in mind that each "point" makes less and less difference as the blinds go up, so having a really low add-on (e.g T5000) is a bit pointless. But T12k should be fine.

How about rebuys? If I'm eliminated during the last hand before the break, am I then out while the rest get to add-on?

Thanks, that makes sense.

there are re-buys too, they are the same amount for the same TChips. they go up to level 6 or 7 then no re-buys and that is when we offer the add on.
Thanks Mr Winberg

thanks for the nomenclature! so you agree with the add on proportion?
In theory, it looks good. You are getting more chips per peso, so that would encourage add-ons. The real question (as @Mr Winberg points out) is what are the blinds at the time of the add-on?

If the blinds are 1000-2000, a T12,000 add-on is only getting you an extra 6 Big Blinds. Basically one hand. However if the blinds are 100-200, it is an easy decision, as you are getting 60 BB. For me, I need at least 20 BB in a regular game or 15 BB with more passive/social players.

So this is my structure that I typically use...
the Add on is offered in the first break which is after level 6, by then the blinds are 500-1000.... should I increase the amount of chips or is 1000 BB enough=

1643210867982.png

When you return from the add-on break, your add-on is worth 12 blinds. (12,000/1000). In poker strategy terms, it has an "M" of 8 (you get 8 orbits of small blind and big blind).

However, the blind levels are also pretty short. 12 minutes will barely get you an orbit at a full table. That would reduce your actual M value.

If the company was good and players weren't too aggressive, I might add-on. However, you could realistically be looking at spending 200 pesos that would most likely be spent in a single hand.

When you return from the add-on break, your add-on is worth 12 blinds. (12,000/1000). In poker strategy terms, it has an "M" of 8 (you get 8 orbits of small blind and big blind).

However, the blind levels are also pretty short. 12 minutes will barely get you an orbit at a full table. That would reduce your actual M value.

If the company was good and players weren't too aggressive, I might add-on. However, you could realistically be looking at spending 200 pesos that would most likely be spent in a single hand.
nice feedback actually Poker Zombie...

in conclusion do you think I should give more Money for the same $200 pesos? what about T20,000... that would be 20 BB....

200 Pesos for T20,000 would be an easy "Si" (about the full extent of my Spanish) to the add-on. Just remember that more chips means a longer tournament.

The break and add-on in my tourney came after 6 levels. It was only 10BB, but it also only cost 1/5th the buy-in ($20 in a $100 tourney.)

Also, we had 20 minute levels. Pretty much everyone took the buy-in.

(Using past tense because I haven’t hosted a tourney since COVID.)

As a practical matter, this just made it a $120 tourney. But for some reason it was much easier to get people to buy in for $100 at the outset and collect $20 at the break than to ask for the $120 up front. People are funny that way.

It also had the subtle benefit of keeping some of the worse players in the game. If you gave them more chips up front, they would likely blow them and not last as long than if they got a bump after the first six levels. Unconsciously, if they got short as the break approached, they would tighten up in anticipation of the add-on.

Such players would then donk off their add-on pretty quickly most of the time. But as a host, one of my goals is to make sure almost everyone gets a couple hours entertainment. That makes it more likely they come back. If they’re out the door in 60-90 minutes frustration sets in and you lose people.

I guess what I’m driving at is: you’ve got to decide what the true purposes of the add-on are. To get more money in the pool? To help people play longer? Something else? Only then can you really decide what the price and value of the add-on needs to be.

(Also, if you are allowing full rebuys up to the break, do you still offer an add-on?)

The break and add-on in my tourney came after 6 levels. It was only 10BB, but it also only cost 1/5th the buy-in ($20 in a $100 tourney.)

Also, we had 20 minute levels. Pretty much everyone took the buy-in.

(Using past tense because I haven’t hosted a tourney since COVID.)

As a practical matter, this just made it a $120 tourney. But for some reason it was much easier to get people to buy in for $100 at the outset and collect $20 at the break than to ask for the $120 up front. People are funny that way.

It also had the subtle benefit of keeping some of the worse players in the game. If you gave them more chips up front, they would likely blow them and not last as long than if they got a bump after the first six levels. Unconsciously, if they got short as the break approached, they would tighten up in anticipation of the add-on.

Such players would then donk off their add-on pretty quickly most of the time. But as a host, one of my goals is to make sure almost everyone gets a couple hours entertainment. That makes it more likely they come back. If they’re out the door in 60-90 minutes frustration sets in and you lose people.

I guess what I’m driving at is: you’ve got to decide what the true purposes of the add-on are. To get more money in the pool? To help people play longer? Something else? Only then can you really decide what the price and value of the add-on needs to be.

(Also, if you are allowing full rebuys up to the break, do you still offer an add-on?)
man that was great feedback! I truly appreciate it and I never saw it that way, I guess I just added the add-on just becuase... but never thought thoroughly about the true purpose!

thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom